Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage for buying a car

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2001, 7:21 pm
Original Poster

Mileage for buying a car

I am sorry if this has been diiscussed before. I will in the market to buy a car next month. Has anyone used any of the airline referreal service and gotten the mileage? Do you think that you still got the car for the best price possible ? Which airline uses the best referreal service or offer the best mileage? Please advise.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 6:41 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold, 1.5 Million Mile Flyer
I just took delivery of a new vehicle from
Carsdirect.com. I feel I got a good price on it. Maybe could have saved $100-200 if I had gone to a dealer, but the ease of buying on the net was well worth it. The car, actually a Ford F-150, was delivered to me, and I spent a total of 10 minutes signing papers, and it was a done deal. They found the exact model/color/options that I wanted. It took 6 weeks for one to come in to their dealer network. I haven't received the miles yet, but was promised by the first week in March.

You have to access their site via odometermiles.com in order to receive UA miles. (10,000) I believe they also have ties to DL or AA.
Old Feb 13, 2001, 7:32 pm
DH

Which program gives you the most miles? It depends on the price of car.

Check out the links at
http://www.valueconsumer.com/edeals/auto.htm

If you are buying < 20K cars, then DL give you flat 15K miles followed by UA with 10K miles.

I bought the my car with AA's program. Since I had a couple of offers in hand before I talked to AA dealer, I was able to negotiate the price but I guess it's will be depending on dealers. Since these programs (except carsdirect.com) are referral service, they don't have any control over price...

Don't forget to use reward credit card for the downpayment if allowed! I got around $80 from my cash rebate card along w/ 4500 AA miles.

------------------
For money savings ideas & tips check & FF miles bonus for finance & auto buying check out ValueConsumer.com
Old Feb 14, 2001, 7:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Many dealers will restrict the use of Credit Cards for a purchase. I helped my daughter buy a new car over the weekend. At the closing desk was a sign. We no longer accept credit cards for payment of your vehicle. We will allow partial payment up to $2000.

I did ask the finance guy if there were any exceptions. He said sure, as long as you paid the 2% service charge.
Old Feb 14, 2001, 10:25 pm

Originally posted by NoStressHere:
Many dealers will restrict the use of Credit Cards for a purchase. I helped my daughter buy a new car over the weekend. At the closing desk was a sign. We no longer accept credit cards for payment of your vehicle. We will allow partial payment up to $2000.

I did ask the finance guy if there were any exceptions. He said sure, as long as you paid the 2% service charge.
Yup. Carsdirect has a $500. max on credit cards. The dealer also told me no problem if I paid the 2%.

Old Feb 15, 2001, 6:31 am

I also just bought a new car through Carsdirect.com. The price was excellent! I called several dealers in the area and they could only match the price, not beat it. I spent 10 minutes at the dealer signing papers and they delivered the car to my office later that day after they registered and insured it. And best of all, they treat you in an honest manner. My service advisor suggested that I sell my old car on my own as I'd get a better price than trading it in. He also suggested looking somewhere besides the dealer for window tinting and a security system. And I'm 10k miles closer to a trip to Australia! I wholeheartedly recommend Carsdirect!
Old Feb 15, 2001, 6:50 am

Programs: UA, DL, AA, Sutherlands Lumber
Has anyone tried 1-800-VISA-911? This munber has been referred as a VISA compliance office. Seems merchant should be contractually obliged to accept VISA/MC up to credit limit "same as cash". Feedback?
Old Feb 15, 2001, 1:00 pm

Basically what they say is, they're giving you a discount for *not* using a Visa. I suppose if anyone wanted to pay list price for a car, they would have a case against the dealer for not accepting it.
Old Feb 15, 2001, 1:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: United, Hilton
Since a 2% fee would be $.02 per mile, would this charge be worth it for the miles? 25,000 miles for $500, then use the miles for a same day trip instead of full Y fare? Might make sense for some???
Old Feb 15, 2001, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I bought a car (supposedly) through AA fly2buy a bit over two years ago. The dealer could never get them to post my miles despite repeated faxes, phone calls, etc. I wasn't the only person with that problem, so they eventually dropped the program.

I eventually got my miles by buying 84 boxes of Kellogg's Corn Flakes at the dealer's expense and giving the contents to the local food bank, but that's another story.
Old Feb 19, 2001, 12:23 pm
Original Member

I purchased a car thru United's Odometer Miles program, got 10,000 mi deposited w/o a problem.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.