Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

San Antonio to Frankfurt - Who's better?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2000, 11:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold

Ok all you married FT'rs, I need your help!

Mom-in-law just emailed me and ask who has the best seats for a round-trip flight from San Antonio to Frankfurt, Germany. So that I can stay in good graces with her and my wife and still appear to be the wise one I told her I'd get back with her shortly. They are flying next June and want to fly BC or FC using an airline's points. I gave them a quick rundown on the credit cards available that partner with airlines. My only experience with flying to Frankfurt is Delta's BE on their ATL/FRA 767ER. Total points issues are not a concern as mom-in-law's got money (another reason to stay in very good graces ). I questioned why she wants to use points since she's got money. Her response was "if I can buy other things using a credit card and get points, why in the h.ll would I want to just buy a ticket?!" A very wise and shrewd woman I've always said

I'm looking for opinions on seat comfort, especially the suite types.

Thanx!
Old Oct 17, 2000, 1:00 pm

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
SQ flies between NYC and FRA...and UA miles can get U there...if the experience of extraordinary service is what mama's looking for...but then you'll have to deal w/ UA to NYC.

However, since SAT is the point of origin, CO's bizfirst is probably more convenient and mom's best bet. Good luck, tho, on getting a seat - and watch out for fining by cigarman! Consder buying a seat and then upgrading with miles - U may find this option easier. Bizfirst is great (although I slightly prefer the VS equivalent... w/ massage etc).

Also, TW ONE is still pretty good too and TW should be flying to FRA by next year...if they don't file bankruptcy, again! 25-35% off a TWA tkt can be had at www.lowestfare.com - although the discount may not be valid if this is considered a "new route." Something to check out anyway...

Visit the AA/UA pages for reviews of their FC product.

Finally, have Mama write a report. New input
and reviews are always relished by many here.

Old Oct 17, 2000, 5:27 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
While I love BizFirst, it might not be Mom's best bet here. CO doesn't fly nonstop IAH-FRA, so she needs to go to EWR. The nonstop times SAT-EWR don't work, so she'll be changing twice. Aaargh.

If there are no nonstops that work SAT-EWR, then I'd bet that JFK has the same issue.

ATL or IAD might be better, but I don't have DL or UA timetables here.

If she goes via ORD, there's got to be at least 1 nonstop SAT-ORD that works. Then, she can get UA/LH's first class (assuming it's on the run), rather than biz.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 5:54 pm
In Memoriam

Both AA and LH offer non-stops from DFW to FRA.
Old Oct 17, 2000, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
For the extra trouble, go with SQ via JFK. No one can beat the "Service which other airlines talk about".
Old Oct 17, 2000, 9:28 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

SQ!
Old Oct 17, 2000, 10:20 pm

Although I am not an expert on UA awards, I believe that you wouldn't be able to use a UA award from SAT to FRA to fly on SQ, since the only UA codeshares are on LH. I believe she'd have to use 80,000 UA points to redeem a SQ business ticket from JFK to FRA, plus either buy a domestic UA ticket, or another UA award.
Old Oct 18, 2000, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I noticed that UA flies a 777 (#940/941)from ORD to FRA. Does anybody know if the FC seats on this aeroplane are the suite-type? ITN shows a small number of seats in the FC selection page. If so, a single hop SAT/ORD and off she goes on UA. SQ would be nice but nothing's direct SAT/JFK.

If I opt for SQ I found on www.krisflyer.com.sq a link to using UA points for SQ flights.
Old Oct 18, 2000, 6:31 am

Location: 3A - most likey <> BKK <--> EZE; TACA 3A nobody, but GP million miler; Hilton Gold sometimes. Successfully divorced from CO PLAT.
Usoftie, from the UAL website:

---------------------------------------------
Award travel on Air ALM, Air Canada, Air New Zealand...Singapore Airlines, Thai Airways International and VARIG includes direct connecting travel in Economy Class to and from the partner's U.S. or Canadian gateway city on United, United Shuttle® and/or United Express.
---------------------------------------------
Apparently all UA domestic cxns to partners is in economy. Bummer!
Old Oct 18, 2000, 11:49 am

Good info. I don't suppose you can use miles or certs to upgrade that economy domestic leg
Old Oct 22, 2000, 11:23 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Starwood/Marriott, Hilton, IHG
When we lived in Germany we preferred DL to cross the pond. Have done it on AA, DL, TW and NW (KL metal). I would recommend SAT-DFW-FRA, provided DL still has the DFW-FRA schedule. Even up front the fares were competetive because of the DL-AA competition on the route. Glad to see you are still on the Christmas card list!
Old Oct 23, 2000, 3:54 pm
In Memoriam

Spartacus,
Delta dropped the DFW-FRA nonstop during the downsizing of the DFW Hub in 1995. Now only LH (A340) and AA (MD-11) run the route.
Old Oct 24, 2000, 2:01 pm

For convenience, SAT-DFW-FRA on AA sounds like the best bet. Or SAT-ATL-FRA on DL if the connection times work out.

For world class best service, might want to try SQ: SAT-ORD-JFK-FRA.

I would highly recommend AGAINST Singapore, even if they are the best in the world. First, you have to connect in ORD to get to JFK. Double connections are bad. Even worse if it is in Economy as per above posts. Then you will have to take a bus from the United Terminal 7 to Singapore Terminal 1.

Double connection plus changing terminals at the hell-hole that is the "premier" US/Europe gateway makes SQ a bad choice for me!

Old Oct 24, 2000, 8:34 pm

Location: AA-Plat 7 Mil, UA-Plat 2 Mil, BA - Silv., KLM/AF- Plat, Bonvoy-Plat.
I just flew DFW-FRA on Lufthansa in First Class. They have beds on their planes and I even used my UA miles so the trip was free. Very comfortable and I highly recommend seats in row 2. There are only 8 seats. Crew were very friendly and the food was not bad either.

Probably the most painless way to fly from Sat to FRA (Or SAT-IAH-FRA as LH flies out of IAH). AA doesn't offer beds on their runs from DFW-FRA yet. They are using those tired old MD-11s on that trip.
Old Oct 26, 2000, 5:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
W/respect to UAs 777s, by the end of the year (2000) they should have all been set up w/the Suites.

I flew FRA-SFO non-stop yesterday in Biz and our plane was equipped. Very nice service and amenities.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.