Old Jul 20, 2000, 9:33 pm
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Million Miles Mania Contest from WebMiles features PG

Million Miles Mania Contest by WebMiles

All contestants file Flight Plans in 500 words or less at
www.webmiles.com

describing future travel plans using a specific number of WebMiles rewards ranging between 25k & 1 million miles.

Entries must be received by midnight, Friday, 9/1/00 Mountain Daylight Time and they will be judged by Pudding Guy according to criteria posted at WebMiles. Depending on the quality of entries, there may be 1 winner awarded all 1 million WebMiles, or up to 40 winners awarded 25k WebMiles each or some/any combination.

This contest is open to US residents, 18 years min, including District of Columbia but excludingArizona. One entry per participant. Details posted at the WebMiles site.
http://webmiles.com/index.html
Old Jul 20, 2000, 10:22 pm

Why can't people make competitions that are open to everyone in the world, considering that this is the World Wide Web...

Hmmm... new word - "country-ist"! These people organising these competitions are country-ist!! ;p
Old Jul 20, 2000, 10:35 pm

Okay, I'm entered.

Hey,Pudding Guy, when's your birthday?

Kunoichi:

Th French already gave us a word for that - "chauvanist"
Old Jul 21, 2000, 12:49 pm
doc
Original Poster

"country-ist"!

Don't forget even US residents living in AZ are prohibited!
Old Jul 22, 2000, 1:16 pm

Sorry about the restrictions on eligibility. That wasn't my idea. Some legal reasons. If you reside in Arizona or outside the US, I'd suggest teaming up with a friend from the other 49 states. Flight plans can include travel for anyone--not just free flights for the person who submits the plan. Come up with a plan involving you, and have your friend file the plan.

I certainly hope everyone will have some fun with this contest. It's a rare opportunity to EARN a million miles without spending a cent. Given the smart creative people that frequent this board, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see some winning entries coming from FlyerTalkers!
Old Jul 22, 2000, 1:30 pm

I live in Az- any idea of why we were excluded--
Old Jul 23, 2000, 12:39 pm

Programs: United 1P
John McCain ????
Old Jul 24, 2000, 12:46 pm
doc
Original Poster

PG the pitchman!

Phillips now knows the drawbacks of traditional frequent flyer programs. "Free flights are great, but it can be a real hassle to book seats with most frequent flyer programs because of all the restrictions," says Phillips. ":The WebMiles program allows you to fly when and where you want -- it's that easy."
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/000724/ut_webmile.html
Old Jul 24, 2000, 10:44 pm

I would love to know why AZ is excluded
Old Jul 26, 2000, 3:52 pm

Apparently, quite a few people have asked this question. I'll post the answer when I hear.
Old Jul 26, 2000, 4:05 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Is this a dream vacation I'd take IF I had a (uo to) million miles or one I really am scheduling?
Old Jul 26, 2000, 4:55 pm

You submit a plan to spend anywhere from 25,000 to 1,000,000 miles. You don't have to have firm dates etc. when you submit, but the rules require winners to actually follow through with their plans within 2 years.

You can't submit bungee jumping in China and then go visit your cousin in Fresno. (Likewise, you can't submit visiting your cousin in Fresno then go bungee jumping in China.)
Old Jul 26, 2000, 5:11 pm
doc
Original Poster

But you can, I believe, easily do both - if you effectively work out an itinerary including them - or perhaps you could team up with a Chinese bugee jumping friend to visit your cousin in Fresno (poor Fresno gets so much unwarranted crap, eh?) - or he/she with you to visit your second cousin....

They'll actually have to, if they live in Arizona!
Old Jul 26, 2000, 6:05 pm

Didn't mean to suggest anything negative about Fresno--it's my home town after all. Among other things, you're never far from a Baskin & Robbins or an irrigation canal where you can take a refreshing dip(highly discouraged nowadays). I'm pretty sure any flight plans involving Fresno would be warmly received .
Old Jul 28, 2000, 6:27 pm

Here's what WebMiles told me:

"The State of Arizona has certain statutory registration requirements that were problematic for us to comply with given our internal time constraints. We apologize for any inconvenience caused to residents of Arizona. We have taken steps to ensure future sweepstakes and contests organized by WebMiles include residents of Arizona. In the meantime, should you want to participate in the current Million Mile Mania contest, we encourage you to work in conjunction with a friend or relative who lives outside the state by having that person inlcude the you in their 'flight plan'."

Now we know. It's always those darn statutory registration requirements....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.