Best Seniors program?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best Seniors program?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2001, 11:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Best Seniors program?

I've been encouraging my hip, elderly parents to join one of those airline senior clubs! They live in Berlin, Germany and usually fly whatever they feel like at the time (most mileage on UA/Lufthansa, BA, CO and AF), despite my urgings to choose a FF program and stick with it! In your experience, what should I recommend to them? CO's Freedom Flight Club sounds interesting, as does UA's SilverWings. Most of their flights are between the Continent and the U.S. (SEA, NYC, DEN, LEX), and within Europe itself...

------------------
"What do you mean you didn't get miles for that?!"
Old Jun 26, 2001, 12:18 am

Programs: UA Gold Million Miler, HH Gold, Marriott Gold
You should also encourage them to join Hyatt which has really excellent senior rates, and usually available as well. Unlike Hilton HHonors program which has senior rates that are almost never available BUT lets you be Gold for half the nights - for a fee. Over 62 gets a discount for the senior and a companion on almost all the airlines, without joining anything. Mostly not available on the Internet, however.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 5:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I fly out of WAS, mainly to Europe. Other than in summer peak, over the counter tickets are always significiently less expensive than UA Silverwings. Have a friend who lives in upstate Michigan. Silverwings is a great deal for him.

If Silverwings tickets are mileage upgradable, they would be the least expensive UA upgradables from WAS to europe.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 7:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
CO's Freedom Flight Club gives a 20% across the board discount for weekday travel and there are no extra restrictions. for example, if you buy a weekday Y at 20% off, it is marked Y, and you have all the perks that come with full-fare.
Even though the international discounted fares are upgradeable with miles, you need to deal with CO's difficult policies in that
area, and unless you are Elite, there may be no uograding opportunities.
Additionally, I do not know if the FFC is available ex-US.
Old Jun 26, 2001, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM/2MM, UA MM, BV LT Titanium, HH Diamond
[QUOTE]Originally posted by monitor:
[B]CO's Freedom Flight Club gives a 20% across the board discount for weekday travel and there are no extra restrictions. For example, if you buy a weekday Y at 20% off, it is marked Y, and you have all the perks that come with full-fare.
Even though the international discounted fares are upgradeable with miles, you need to deal with CO's difficult policies in that
area, and unless you are Elite, there may be no uograding opportunities.
Additionally, I do not know if the FFC is available ex-US.

Old Jun 26, 2001, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Thanks for the responses. So it sounds like it's probably not a good idea to join clubs that require fees (such as SilverWings)... and I'll be interested to find out more about these hotel programs.

------------------
"What do you mean you didn't get miles for that?!"
Old Jun 26, 2001, 1:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
ff-senior fliers based in Europe might have some serious challenges using Silver Wings from UA (I use it, but it needs very carefull planning).

Example: Silver Wings transatlantic Segment tickets are only valid for round-trips originally starting in the USA - and I have to 'wave' several trips into one plan to make such (price-worthy) offers work.

[This message has been edited by Rudi (edited 06-26-2001).]
Old Jun 26, 2001, 1:37 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
In AARP 's Bulletin (june-2001) I just read an ad from US Airways (AARP = American Association of Retired People):

Travelling partners AARP Privileges and US Airways
Offering everyday low fares for AARP members.

phone 1-866-886-2277 or
visit www.aarp.org/usairways

(not available through travel agencies or online)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.