Community
Wiki Posts
Search

credit card limits

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2000, 12:30 pm
Original Poster

credit card limits

am new to ff issues but i joined webmiles and found my credit limit was only $10,000 when i wanted to charge my duaghter's tuition and other purchases

any suggestions? am i in the wrong program????

------------------
Old Jul 31, 2000, 4:32 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
One way around this problem is to create a negative balance by prepaying your card.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Just ask! I've gotten some ridiculous limits just be asking. It helps to say that some other card has given you the higher number. I don't think that they can check this information. Lying on a credit application is a Federal crime, but I can't imagine anyone being prosecuted in the absence of fraud or an actual loss on someone's part.

Bruce
Old Jul 31, 2000, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by IsleTraveller:
One way around this problem is to create a negative balance by prepaying your card.
thanks for the advice!!!!!!!

------------------
Old Jul 31, 2000, 4:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by bdschobel:
Just ask! I've gotten some ridiculous limits just be asking. It helps to say that some other card has given you the higher number. I don't think that they can check this information. Lying on a credit application is a Federal crime, but I can't imagine anyone being prosecuted in the absence of fraud or an actual loss on someone's part.

Bruce
thank you this a a very helpful BB it's fun too

Old Jul 31, 2000, 5:27 pm

Though not affiliated with WebMiles, I recently applied for a Citibank MasterCard, which is affiliated with American Airlines. With the Gold ($50) and Platinum ($85) level cards, you are granted a credit line, however, should you go over this amount, it is not considered overlimit and not subject to overlimit fees for that given billing period. As long as you pay the amount over your limit by the next billing period, you are exempt from any fees, similar to American Express. If you have a traditional credit card, I too would do what IsleTraveller suggested by submitting on an overpayment to cover the amounts over the credit limit.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 5:29 pm
T3

Of course there's always Amex without any limit.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by raffy:
Though not affiliated with WebMiles, I recently applied for a Citibank MasterCard, which is affiliated with American Airlines. With the Gold ($50) and Platinum ($85) level cards, you are granted a credit line, however, should you go over this amount, it is not considered overlimit and not subject to overlimit fees for that given billing period. As long as you pay the amount over your limit by the next billing period, you are exempt from any fees, similar to American Express. If you have a traditional credit card, I too would do what IsleTraveller suggested by submitting on an overpayment to cover the amounts over the credit limit.
thanks raffy i'll call and see what they say good advice

Old Jul 31, 2000, 5:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally posted by T3:
Of course there's always Amex without any limit.
thanks unfortunately my daughter's college doesnt take AMEX

Old Jul 31, 2000, 8:45 pm
Original Member

You can pay two or three times a month if necessary too. You don't have to wait until your statement comes. But do ask to have your limit increased, they will usually do $20K without too much trouble.
Old Jul 31, 2000, 9:33 pm

Prepaying is a good way to go as you almost certainly will not accrue any finance charges. Certainly ask for an increase in credit line . Credit line is usually tied to % of income and credit rating. If your rating is A1 then it will rest soley on your income. Assets are generally not all that important as it is unsecured debt.

It was said that they can not check your limits on other cards, this is actually wrong. When the credit analyst pulls up your report they can see what all your limits are and what all your balances are.

If you are not already doing so make sure that you include all the gross income generated by everybody in the household in the application/request for increased credit (Give the reason for requesting credit line increase as: income has changed). Incidentally unless your credit rating is is iffy (either because of bad history or very little history, or little history of other cards with substatial credit limit) they generally DON'T check up on income.

[This message has been edited by Mvic (edited 07-31-2000).]
Old Jul 31, 2000, 9:58 pm

Programs: United 1P
Since we're all in it for the miles ...

You ought to know that some mileage cards set a yearly limit for the number of miles that you can earn. Often you need to be "Platinum" in order to escape this limit.

But, as has been pointed out by other posts, always ASK your credit card company - its your business they are looking to keep !!
Old Jul 31, 2000, 10:14 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
GOLD status with American Airlines will eliminate 60,000 mile limit. Also suggest getting AMEX starwoods card to use for all places that DO take AMEX so you can "save" you Citibank Card. (It has no fee - posts about the card elsewhere) Also citibank offers the "click card", supposedly for on-line purchases but can be used for anything which does not require you to swipe the card and is free if you already have a citibank AA card - that will give you an additional 60,000 miles per year if you are not elite. If you get a credit line on that card, you can split your payments between the two cards. Sometimes they may limit the amount on the click card, but it also can be raised after you have it.

------------------
DtG
Old Aug 2, 2000, 9:40 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold
It won't necessarily work to create a negative balance by prepaying.

I wanted to charge my income taxes on my ClickCiti card earlier this year to take advantage of the double miles offer. They told me that, regardless of the credit balance, they will reject any charge if, in the aggregate in any 24-hour period, your charges made exceed the credit limit.

Charlie
Old Aug 2, 2000, 10:31 am

Programs: LH SEN, AA AAirpass, IC Ambassador Platinum, *wood Gold
The only rule is that there are probably few hard rules.

Try charging a new car on your AMEX Platinum, and you will find a limit, despite a 10 year history with AMEX.

Prepay will not work with some cards. Had a Visa with a 8,000 limit, no balance. Paid another 8,000 in advance and had a 10,000 charge rejected....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.