Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shangri-La / Golden Circle

Search this Thread

Old Dec 31, 1998, 7:39 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, CX DM, QF GO, AA LT GO, UA SL, LH FT, Marr LT Titanium, Shang DM, Hyatt Glob, Hilton DM
Shangri-La / Golden Circle

Since we don't have a Shangri-La forum here on FlyerTalk, I guess I'll just post my question here...

Because of business, very likely I'll be staying at a Shangri-La every week for the next few months (even up to 6 to 8 months)...so that can add up to 30 stays/150 nights...I understand that they do have a frequent guest program called "Golden Circle", and I remember seeing some info about this on their website before...but I don't seem to be able to find that anymore...anyone has idea of the structure and perks of the program ??

As far as I understand, you only get miles in a partner airline program when you stay at Shangri-La, and the program itself has no such thing as points and rewards, am I right on this ?? how many stays/nights do I need for elite levels, and what are the perks of these levels ??

Thanks...
Old Jan 1, 1999, 4:53 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I would phone to see if this no longer exists and has been replaced by Airline partner programs only.

Travelasia had this article in January 1998:
Issue of January 9, 1998 (see phone number later)
SHANGRI-LA LAUNCHES GOLDEN CIRCLE

Mr. David Hayden - Challenges ahead
By Yeoh Siew Hoon

Shangri-La Hotels & Resorts will launch its Frequest Guest Loyalty Programme, Golden Circle, on January 1.

Managing director David Hayden said an open enrolment was being conducted with the goal of accummulating "no more than 40,000 to 50,000 members by the end of the first year".

The programme will have three levels - Classic, Executive and Elite. Twenty thousand existing customers who have stayed at Shangri-La or Traders hotels 10 times or more in the past calendar year are currently being enrolled at the executive level.

The programme will be linked with the frequent flyer programmes of United Airlines, Northwest Airlines and Passages. "Depending on their level of membership, they will get premium mileage," said Hayden.

Golden Circle is part of the group's strategy to boost its corporate business base at a time when Hayden acknowledges the economic situation in Asia will pose challenges for the group and will impact the group's bottomline. "How much, we're not sure," he said.

Painting an overall picture of how Shangri-La fared last year, Hayden said, "We're not having problems in the Philippines. Business has not been as affected because of the customer profile which is mainly corporate customers from North America and Europe.

"In Hong Kong, our two hotels are still doing in excess of 70 per cent occupancy. Kowloon has been more affected because of its higher component of leisure travel.

"Bangkok has not been affected in volume terms but in rate terms. Average rate has dropped by 30 per cent effectively. Converting to US dollars in some markets would help.

"In Malaysia, our Kuala Lumpur hotel has not yet been affected, but there are more rooms opening. Penang was badly affected by the haze, so was Kota Kinabalu, although the haze was insignificant there.

"Indonesia held up for us because of the high corporate base and rate quotations in USD."

The good news is, "there will be great opportunities for intra-Asian travel - Singaporeans going to Penang, Kuala Lumpur residents travelling to Kota Kinabalu", said Hayden. "We also hope to participate in the China outbound market."

A phone number (Hong Kong) to enroll in Golden Circle is given on Hong Kong Telecom's website: Call (852) 2197 5600

Shangri-la's corporate HQ in Hong Kong is Phone: (852) 2599-3000

And from Time's website TRAVEL WATCH AUGUST 24, 1998 VOL. 152 NO. 7
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts recently re-launched its frequent guest program, Golden Circle, which was originally introduced in August 1997. The program is designed to reward the hotel group's loyal customers. The policy is divided into three tiers--classic, executive and elite--that award certain amenities to guests depending on the number of times per year that they stay in a Shangri-La hotel. All levels feature free spouse-stays, complimentary breakfast, free local calls and calling-card access. If you're interested, request an enrollment packet on their website.

And from Dream it News website (no date):

Shangri-La has reworked its frequent guest programme, called Golden Circle. There are now three levels of membership – Classic (for guests who stay at a Shangri-La or Traders hotel up to nine times in a year), Executive (10-24), and Elite (25 or above).

Benefits for Classic are minimal, with free local calls and call-card access being the most valuable. Executive members get 25 per cent additional miles or points if a member of Shangri-La’s partner airlines frequent flyer programmes, and an upgrade to a suite, if available, for US$25 extra.

Elite members get all this plus access to the hotel’s business floor lounge – which means free breakfast and cocktails at least – free upgrade to suite if available, 50 per cent additional miles or points, and 08.00h check-in.

Old Jan 1, 1999, 5:14 pm
Original Member

And From PATA's (Pacific Asia Travel) site with a US phone number):

Shangri-La Brings Back "Golden Circle" Programme
Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts has re-launched its frequent guest programme, Golden Circle, which was originally introduced in August 1997. The programme is designed to reward the hotel group's loyal customers. The policy is divided into three tiers--classic, executive and elite--that award certain amenities to guests depending on the number of times per year that they stay in a Shangri-La hotel. All levels feature free spouse-stays, complimentary breakfast, free local calls and call-card access. To request an enrollment packet, call (1-310) 665-2000 in the U.S.
Old Jan 1, 1999, 5:22 pm
Original Member

And from June 1998 Inside Flyer:

Shangri-La Hotels and Resorts has re-launched its frequent guest programme, Golden Circle, which is active in all 35 hotels and resorts. When paying non-discounted, corporate or corporate select rates, receive 500 miles with one of the following: Passages (1,000km), United Mileage Plus, Northwest WorldPerks, Lufthansa Miles & More, Qualiflyer, Thai Royal Orchid Plus, Ansett Australia Global Rewards (1,500 points), Qantas Frequent Flyer (1,500 points), China Airlines Dynasty Flyer or Canadian Plus. Hertz offers a car rental partnership for residents of Asia with varied frequent traveller rates depending on rental. To enjoy this benefit, quote CDP#497227 when making reservations. The scheme has three elite levels offering added benefits to the most loyal members of the scheme. For information, call 852 2197 5600, access [email protected].

Shangri-La Golden Circle
Service Desk (852)21 975600
Reservations (852)23 316688
Web site www.shangri-la.com (but no golden circle info there now)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.