Wiki Posts
Search

I bid farewell to YGK :(

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2002, 8:56 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

I bid farewell to YGK :(

A bit of an emotional time for me, and I thought that I'd share it with my FT friends.

In my quest to find reasons not to study for my final exam that begins at 14:00 tomorrow, I decided to do the update to my FT profile that I knew would have to be done very soon.

I joined FlyerTalk in September 1998, and since then, my home has always been listed as Kingston, Ontario, Canada (YGK). Well, the time has come, and I must leave this place that I have called home for four years. I will be returning to Toronto early next week, never to return to Kingston as more than a visitor. My studying at Queen's is about to come to a close, and the best four years of my life so far are also.

It is with some sadness that I say goodbye to this wonderful city. As I lift off on AC7375 next week, I will say my final goodbye to a fitting group of Kingstonians, the AC staff at Norman Rogers Airport. I have probably been on about 60 flight in or out of YGK, and I will fly out one last time.

Thanks for letting me shead a tear publically.

[This message has been edited by Fisch (edited 04-17-2002).]
Old Apr 17, 2002, 9:07 pm

I've also moved around a fair little bit for my (relatively ) little age; if you're anything like me I guess you'll always have a little of yourself in Kingston.

Chris, a hearty and warm congratulations on completing your degree; I'd like to be the first to wish you all the best in the future.
Old Apr 17, 2002, 9:20 pm

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
Congratulations!
Old Apr 17, 2002, 9:39 pm

Well Fisch, it's a cruel world out there. Often times I run into awful situations. Why, just the other day, I felt done-in by someone who I percieved to be a close friend. Anyway, send me your resume if you are in dire need of some work. (YGM)
Old Apr 17, 2002, 10:45 pm

Hey I too am off from Kingston and will be gone from here as of July 1, 2002. I will miss Kingston but not the hassle from flying our from here...

Goodbye to Norman Rodgers...
Old Apr 18, 2002, 12:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, MR Plat
Congratulations, Fisch!

Hopefully you will still have many great times ahead of you - only with a lot more money coming in. And if anyone ever screws you over, don't let your soul rest until you've crushed them. One more thing, rip up your PC Party membership card and join us in the Canadian Alliance. Then you'll be good to go
Old Apr 18, 2002, 12:18 am

You can take the man out of Kingston, but you can't take Kingston out of the man.

Congrats, mate. Why not Grad work at Queen's? Better yet, come on down to NZ for Grad work and enjoy getting 100% status miles on just about *everything* you fly, even Q fares on AirNZ.

David
Old Apr 18, 2002, 5:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Another of those times of passage. Just never say "never" because in this crazy life, few things succeed as planned. You may just be offered a faculty position some day at Queens, and thus find yourself returning as more than just a tourist. [I know you won't return to reside at another great Kingston institution...]

All the best with the next stage of your endeavours, and life in general. As for FlyerAl's suggestion, I await that pint you promised and we can discuss the potential of Mr. Harper, given your studies overlap with his own academic background [Harper's if not FA's].

Welcome to Toronto. I suspect it may be time for a late summer get to gether here -- once Catgirl gets settled in -- with all us FTers. We may finally be gaining over those Vancouverites!
Old Apr 18, 2002, 6:54 am
B1

Congratulations - four years in Kingston is just about right. A voluntary stay, such as yours, is the best way to spend the time. Best of luck in Toronto.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 6:57 am

Programs: AC LT E50K; AC*MM; SPG LT Gold
Well done, Fisch. I can empathise with your sadness. I had similar regrets when we left Queen's (although that was before you were born ). It is a wonderful place to live, although I'm sure you'll settle down once you're back in TO.
I hadn't paid attention earlier, but did you also change your affiliation in your profile just now or was that done before?
Old Apr 18, 2002, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC 75K, Hertz President’s Circle, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Congrats on finishing your degree at Queen's....well it is Queen's but I guess its OK (hee hee - I went to UWO ). Hope you enjoy T.O. and the freedom of living in the big city!! Again, congrats!
Old Apr 18, 2002, 7:45 am
Suspended

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
I suspect it may be time for a late summer get to gether here -- once Catgirl gets settled in -- with all us FTers. We may finally be gaining over those Vancouverites![/B]</font>
By that time I will be a resident of Toronto as well... Maybe we can overtake YVR and reclaim Toronto as the centre of the universe... err I mean flyertalk.

Old Apr 18, 2002, 7:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Congratulations Fisch on your graduation and best of luck with the next phase...
Old Apr 18, 2002, 8:25 am

Programs: AC *50K MM; WS Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
I suspect it may be time for a late summer get to gether here -- once Catgirl gets settled in -- with all us FTers. We may finally be gaining over those Vancouverites!</font>
Count me in! If it's a chance to meet all my fellow FTers, I'll be there.

Congratulations Fisch on your degree. And by late summer, you'll have a job, and you'll be well on your way to paying off those student loans.
Old Apr 18, 2002, 10:50 am

There are approximately 10 correctional facilities in the close proximity of Kingston... from Max Sec to juvenile centres, etc.

Most people don't see that aspect but if you work in Queen's teaching hospital... you will encounter 1 inmate for every 50 people you see.

What's famous for Kingston,
1. Queen's U
2. Thousand Islands
3. Prisons

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.