Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Problems that face frequent travelers

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 1999, 5:04 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
Problems that face frequent travelers

What are all the problems that come with Frequent Flier and Hotel awards programs?

I am conducting a survey and would appreciate any feedback that you could contribute.

Here are the ones that cause me headaches:

1. Tracking my mileage from credit cards, hotel stays, rental cars, flights, etc to make sure they post to the program.

2. Keeping up with the changes from program to program / knowing which programs to use to maximizemiles & points.

3. Updating of personal information changes. (phone, address, e-mail address, etc)

Old Feb 22, 1999, 5:30 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
I agree with yours -- plus one of my own. What bonuses, specials, etc., are active when I need them? There are just so many different offers all the time.

FT has been a real boon for me. But the hassle of checking so many web sites makes it rather tedious at times...

Of course, if it were easy, every one would do it!
Old Feb 22, 1999, 5:45 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
My problem -- deciding which airline to fly on in the alliances to maximize your upgrade potential and elite status. So far I have been lucky with my choices (the bonuses have been in my favor) but I can only determine that at year end. If you choose the wrong fork in the road, you could end up in the cheap seats and long lines.

Flyer Talk has been great for me too--I am always learning something new. The airlines don't tell everybody everything in their member guides and websites. Sometimes, there are exclusive mailings to their top tier members that we wouldn't hear about otherwise.

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 02-22-99).]
Old Feb 22, 1999, 12:21 pm
pgupta011

I agree with the items you have listed Justin. Also I would add - reading the fine print on the bonus offers, which has tripped me up on a few occasions. For example the recent Hilton double mile/point promotion does not apply to certain airlines, so if you give the wrong FF # on check in you get neither double airline miles nor double hotel points. Also I recently received a triple mile coupon from Budget (150 AA miles per day instead of 50 miles per day), but when I rented the car they said that I needed a rate which was more than double of what I was paying to get the extra miles.

Old Feb 22, 1999, 12:39 pm
Original Member

Three big problems:

1. Timeliness of statements. If I can get all my other account statements (bank, brokerage, etc) a few days after the period, why do some companies give me info that is 3-6 months old and specials that have already expired? Very frequent travelers should get very prompt statements.

2. Pre-registering for bonuses. Absolutely ridiculous. And completely worthless if you are a victim of #1.

3. Redeeming the points/miles/coupons. I plan to sell my miles from some programs to a third-party broker because the airline never lets me use them. So what if I get caught? The miles are worthless to me anyway...
Old Feb 23, 1999, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
Using the points are often a problem. Most of the talk is on acquiring points, but isn't using them the point???

Expiring miles, noncombinable miles and messy restrictions are troublesome BUT even went all is well, try getting that free hotel room for three days here and then four days somewhere else and matching them with two free flights!!!! Unless you start early, very early this can be troublesome. You get some of the trip confirmed only to find problems with a later part and have to start over to get it all to match.

Another problem, booking too early!!!! I tried to book a trip 14 months before the flight and could, but only could confirm a first class booking on the outbound trip. It took 6 months and lots of calls to get the return trip in 1st (using first class points level for the round trip). Seems that they wanted to see how many seats they could sell in first class before allowing ANY first class frequent flier seats on points!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.