Wiki Posts
Search

Diners club Increase

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 1999, 7:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL-MM,SW-CP,A-List Preferred
Diners club Increase

Diners has increased the fee for international charges to 2% effective sept 18,1999. Join me in calling/writing to lobby a change in this planned increase.
Old Aug 14, 1999, 11:29 pm

pgapro, First Card did this with their UA affinity card and then dropped it after 3 months due to negative feedback.

Good luck...and welcome to F-T!

[This message has been edited by shadow (edited 08-14-1999).]
Old Aug 15, 1999, 7:39 am
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Guess I'll be staying with AmEx afterall...

I remember someone posting a listing of Forex surcharges on major mileage cards. Can anyone post the link again?

Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 1999, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
I'll join you in writing. This is now becoming more usual for credit card companies and soon they'll all be raising their rates. I just called Citibank MasterCard to have them take a $6500. charge off my MC. Then I called the vendor and asked them to credit my MC and charge my Diner's--all because of the foreign exchange surcharge.
When I spoke to the person at Citibank MasterCard, I asked if they've been losing much business on foreign exchange because of this ripoff. She replied that she didn't know of any lost business. But there must be hundreds and hundreds of people like me who have more than one card and when one's costs are too high, they use the one with the lower cost. So they probably don't know how much business they're losing because people don't have (or take) the time to give their feedback.
So I'll take the time today. You've worked me up into a dither now and I'm ready to write those greedy leeches!
(My,my...I am in a dither, aren't I?)
Old Aug 16, 1999, 2:04 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
Guess I'll stick with Aerogold Visa for foreign transactions. Just called CIBC VISA customer service to confirm -- they charge $2.00CAD/transaction (I didn't know that) plus a highly competitive foreign exchange rate (CIBC said it is an interbank rate that is better than us consumers can get when we do foreign exchange at a bank).

So for purchases over $100CAD, about $68US, I guess I will do better with VISA than Diner's new 2% rate.

Good luck with the letter writing. Power to the consumer only comes with actions taken!

[This message has been edited by BlondeBomber (edited 08-16-1999).]
Old Aug 17, 1999, 3:57 pm

I wrote them and got the following back:

Thank you for your comments regarding your dissatisfaction with the increase in the conversion fees.

Diners Club periodically reviews its fee structure to ensure that the fees we charge adequately cover the real costs associated with the transactions. By assessing these fees only "when" the transaction occurs, we are able to offer credit, value, and superior services to you our Cardmember.

When a charge is incurred in a foreign currency, we will convert the charge into U. S.dollars at The Wall Street Journal conversion rate in effect the day we post the charge. Our 2% fee is consistent with our major competitor American Express.

I am sorry I cannot give you a more favorable response. We truly value you as a customer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.