Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airlines still allow upgrades on the cheapest fares?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 30, 2003, 8:30 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold / Million miler

I'm sure this topic has been covered in the recent past, so I apologize in advance.

I THINK Alaska will still allow it, even when they double their upgrade mileage requirement in about a week; but I'm trying to get from L.A. to N.Y. every couple of months or so, and L.A. to N.Y. via Seattle is such an inefficient way to go.

I'd feel like I won the FF lottery if I could find just one airline that would allow me to upgrade a RT ticket for 20,000 miles on their cheapest ticket and had upgradeable seats that weren't impossible to get, AND flew (more or less) in a straight line between LAX and Newark.

Is anyone NOT rolling on the floor laughing now?

And speaking of seats that are IMPOSSIBLE to get, (to cities you'd actually like to visit) anyone wanna buy 854,624 Globalpass miles? (I won't take more than $8.54 because I wouldn't want to overcharge you!)

Thanks for your time, and I again apologize for most assuredly repeating a topic.

Happy N.Y. !!

-MJ
Old Dec 30, 2003, 9:19 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
AA allows upgrades on any purchased fare, flies nonstop LAX-JFK and has an extra 4 inches of legroom in coach (if you don't upgrade).
Old Dec 30, 2003, 11:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AS 75K, UA 1MM Gold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Plat, National EE, Hertz PC
I second AA. Any published fare.

8x 762 LAX-JFK / day
2x 763 & 1x 752 LAX-EWR / day

Personally, if choosing between domestic F on the 763 to EWR and "flagship" J on the 762 to JFK, I'd take the 763 every time. They are the nicest 2-class plane (up front, at least) in AA's inventory.

The upgrade from discounted coach will run 15k miles each way though, iirc. Or five stickers.

[This message has been edited by elCheapoDeluxe (edited Dec 30, 2003).]
Old Dec 31, 2003, 8:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Since we're asking the impossible here, let's take it a step further. Are there any airlines that allow international upgrades off low fares? I would even be willing to burn extra miles.

Thanks,
Mike
Old Dec 31, 2003, 8:31 am

I just flew in J JFK-LHR on AA for $310 r/t and 50,000 miles. Had to waitlist outbound but the u/g came through a week before the flight. Easy and well worth it.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:17 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
[QUOTE]Originally posted by mikeef:
[B]Since we're asking the impossible here, let's take it a step further. Are there any airlines that allow international upgrades off low fares? I would even be willing to burn extra miles.

LH does! Just one more reason I love their program!
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:25 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
* Lufthansa, Austrian, (Austrian, Lauda, Tyrolian), LOT do (all miles&more members)
* SWISS does (TravelClub program)
* KLM does (Flying Dutchman)
Old Dec 31, 2003, 9:49 am
Suspended

..as does AA.
Virtually all international fares upgradeable-- even weekend special fares (netsaavers.)
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:29 am

AA even allowed me to upgrade a cheap I fare to Europe to F. Now that was F at a 92% discount!
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:34 am

To answer the question more accurately:

AA upgrades are 30,000 miles r/t and anyone can request them. CO upgrades are also 30,000 miles roundtrip - elites can request them on all fares, non-elites can only request them from selected fares (starting right now at $623 - pretty high).

I can tell you that CO domestic mileage upgrades are virtually always no problem for elites. I also have had good success with AA mileage upgrades as an elite.

UA also flies this route, but I have never upgraded it.

I prefer upgraded CO to AA on this route, but, as discussed, CO can be an expensive upgrade for a non-elite.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 11:19 am

I don't know America West's program too well, but I believe they allow upgrades on all fares, and fly LAX-JFK nonstop as well as lots of options from the LA area to the NY area via LAS and PHX.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 1:48 pm

Programs: SK*G
SAS allows upgrades from any fare even on intercontinental flights. However, they are issued at checkin or at the gate, so you cannot be sure to get one.
Old Dec 31, 2003, 10:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP 5 Mil, UA Global Services, BA Gold, DL Diamond, SPG Plat75, Hilton Diamond
As earlier posters have suggested, many airlines still allow domestic and international upgrades on cheapest fares. AA is one of the largest carriers that is a good example. I am, however, not aware of 20,000 mile upgrades for transcon on AA, CO or any other major carrier. Availability is a different issue altogether.

I fly AA a lot - "A" inventory on transcon routes is usually hard to find these days on convenient schedules (since there are paying pax for YUP fares). EXPs do get upgraded almost all the time but anyone with a status less than an EXP has to face a lot of uncertainity. Sticker upgrades do work for PLATs but on Fri and Sun/Mon and other busy flts EXPs take all the remaining upgrades.
Old Jan 2, 2004, 4:21 pm

AA has never given me a problem upgrading on the any fare including the 'netsaver' (N/L fares). I booked in Feb to fly in Nov for $196 to LHR from DFW via JFK and request upgrade to biz and got them right away. Flight from DFW to JFK was in F and then biz to LHR. Got to use the arrivals lounge at LHR (shower/breakfast) and the use of Admirals clubs at DFW, JFK and LHR even though I'm not a member. You can use the Admirals clubs flying biz or F on international flights. Even got coupons for free drinks.

Booked a MR to ATL in Dec for flights on Jan 1 and got F class also. Breakfast going and Dinner returning all for $159 netsaver fare and DOUBLE miles promotion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.