Wiki Posts
Search

My supersonic seat cost £800 of biscuits

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2003, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: BD / BA / AF

I'm surprised we never worked this one out here at Flyertalk. Sounds like "Pudding Guy" may have a friend in "Biscuit Man".

---

A once-in-a-lifetime flight on Concorde didn't just take the biscuit for Justin Cornell, it took 900 packets of them.

Justin, on the flight deck of Concorde
That's how many he bought to earn a free flight on the world's fastest passenger jet.

Justin, who always has a keen eye for a bargain, spotted that a special promotion at his local supermarket could ramp up the points on his customer loyalty card, which could then be converted into Air Miles.

[...]

The amazing story started when Justin spotted a promotion Tesco was running on chocolate biscuits, offering an extra 100 Clubcard points for every two packets bought.

At the same time, he knew Air Miles was running a special deal which halved the number of credits needed for a return Concorde ticket to New York. Points from both cards are interchangeable.

Justin realised buying 900 packets would get him a return seat to New York on the supersonic airliner, which retires this week after 26 years of service.

It took visits to three Tesco stores to persuade managers that he was not "completely bonkers". In the last store he spent £800 on Bahlsen Messino biscuits, which bagged him more than 45,000 Clubcard points.

"My family and friends thought I was so lucky. But they know what I'm like. If I can get a deal on something then I'll go for it," he said.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/3204699.stm

This guy sounds like a Flyertalker through-and-through!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 8:24 am

Programs: Amex, Avis, BA, BD, CX, FS, Hertz, HH, IC, LH, NH, RC, RCCL, Sixt, SPG, SQ, UA
Nice story Matthew! Cheers!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
Cheers Mathew! You've brightened my day! Thanks for all the help you've given me in my travels. You are a gem!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:14 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
I wouldn't mind some of those biscuits.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:43 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by korea71:
I wouldn't mind some of those biscuits.</font>

Look at the guy in the pic at 320lbs looks like he ate then all himself.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:44 am

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA GLD
While this is a great story similar in some way to puddingguy, there is on big difference.

The Pudding Guy didn't eat all the pudding!
This guy ate all the chocolate biscuits! This is hilarious!
Old Oct 23, 2003, 9:54 am

Might get a bit tired of the choco bisquets but got to love the flight Cheers Jane
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:40 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by sowalsky:
While this is a great story similar in some way to puddingguy, there is on big difference.

The Pudding Guy didn't eat all the pudding!
This guy ate all the chocolate biscuits! This is hilarious!
</font>
Haha! However, it looks like he didn't actually eat the biscuits, and instead he has an inspirational weight loss story! (like an FT-equivalent of Jared the Subway guy!) See below:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">
He also put all those biscuits to good use, selling them on and raising £1,500 for charity.

"Now I feel a completely different person," said Justin, now a slimmed down 13 stone. "You could almost say that Concorde saved my life."
</font>
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:40 am

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold,HH Gold
what is the equivalent of a stone in pounds?
Old Oct 23, 2003, 10:46 am

If I am not mistaken the conversion is 14 lbs to a stone
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:27 am

Programs: Sir CT-UK - Streaker pour les autres.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by stillontheroad:
If I am not mistaken the conversion is 14 lbs to a stone</font>
You are correct.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
You guys missed the fact that this was not his first brush with mileage greatness:
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">He had previously demonstrated his keen eye for a bargain by flying first class to San Francisco after spending £300 on shampoo.</font>
Old Oct 23, 2003, 11:53 am

Hmm..but that doesn't explicitly state that the £300 worth of shampoo is what got him the first class ticket...perhaps it just got him extremely clean hair in preparation for his flight to SFO.
Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:01 pm

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DaveSF:
Hmm..but that doesn't explicitly state that the £300 worth of shampoo is what got him the first class ticket...perhaps it just got him extremely clean hair in preparation for his flight to SFO. </font>
Well folks the promotion was in conjunction with H-AIR Miles

Old Oct 23, 2003, 1:53 pm

Last Concorde flight is tomorrow! Get your bisuits now!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.