Search

passing miles to HH account of another person

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2002, 11:50 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum / Titanium, AA Executive Platinum
passing miles to HH account of another person

I was just curious if anyone else has attempted this:

My wife has about 5k miles in CO and AA but rarely flies to earn miles - in fact, most of the flights she has taken for our vacations are on free tix from my FF accounts so it is rare that she earns miles in her account. I have been keeping activity in these accounts (by requesting "paperless statements" and the like) to be certain that they do not expire but was wondering if it would be possible to transfer them to my Hilton Honors account.
At least we could then use them in the reasonably near future.

I would not doubt that somewhere in the fine print the rules do not permit this (transfer between accounts of different people), but I wonder if anyone has tried it and done it. I remember when I had a Diners Club card, I was told by a DC rep that they would transfer miles to anyone's account as long as the airline did not care and they told me that AA was the only airline that actually cared. I could also move her CO miles to my account if I want to pay a penny per mile - but I think that is a bit of a rip off. Any suggestions or should I just "babysit" the miles as I have been in the hope that she eventually gets more of them in the account?
Old May 29, 2002, 12:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: HH Diamond, SPG Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Marriott Silver
Open her own HHonors account and then transfer the miles. Then combine the HH points with your account through a Hilton "mutual fund" (joint account).
Old May 29, 2002, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cactuspete:
Open her own HHonors account and then transfer the miles. Then combine the HH points with your account through a Hilton "mutual fund" (joint account). </font>
I just called HH and got info on doing this, I am pleasantly surprised that they allow this. Thanks a lot.
Old May 29, 2002, 1:52 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cactuspete:
Open her own HHonors account and then transfer the miles. Then combine the HH points with your account through a Hilton "mutual fund" (joint account). </font>
And don't forget to:

1. Open her account BEFORE 07/01 so she can get 1000 welcome bonus and 2000 pts for quarterly update
2. Update her account on 07/01 so you can get another 2000 pts

Summa sumarum: 5000 pts free in addition to airline conversion!

Have fun
Absik001
Old May 30, 2002, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, you guys are good!
Old May 30, 2002, 7:25 am

I think it has not been thought out fully. As suggested, open a HH account for your wife and transfer the orphan miles to it. Also as suggested, open it before the end of June and claim online registration bonus and 2000 profile bonus. In July, update profile and claim another 2000 HH points. now she has 5000 and 7000 HH points. But, why bother with a household account. She can get 2000 each quarter for updating her account, at least 2000 HH points though automallonline.com and a few thousand through erewards.com. By this time next year she will have about 30000 HH points with it still growing!!!

If hilton comes out with more nonstay HH points, she could get them too!
Old May 30, 2002, 7:40 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

I'm frankly shocked that this useful thread hasn't been locked and moved to Hilton, where everyone who doesn't usually stay at Hiltons would never see it.

Old May 30, 2002, 12:03 pm

Programs: USAir AA Hilton
Agree on moving to HH forum - but so long as I'm here - I thought the quarterly update bonuses were history?
Old May 30, 2002, 12:19 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by svpii:
I thought the quarterly update bonuses were history?</font>
I just tried the quarterly update link and I did not get the quarterly update page. Darn, I guess good things do come to an end. Oh well, it was fun while it lasted.
Old May 30, 2002, 12:53 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
http://www.hiltonhhonors.com/profile/

does not give you a page listing the bonus, but if you follow through and update your profile, you will get the 1k bonus. Logout before going for the second 1k.
Old Jun 1, 2002, 11:19 am

To get back to the poster's original question (even though he has already resolved his problem) -- the answer is yes, you can put miles from CO into a spouse's HH account.

I know because I did exactly this. I had about 5000 CO miles and it made more sense for them to go into my husband's HH account because that would take him to a level where we could redeem an award. This was accomplished with no problems. Might have helped that we have the same last name...
Old Jun 1, 2002, 10:27 pm

I'm confused about the "logout before the second 1k." Are you saying you can only get 1k from the update now? Do you still get it each quarter. The message I received said you get one bonus per member which seems to mean I'll never get the bonus again? Is that right?

Thanks in advance. Great thread btw!!
Old Jun 6, 2002, 8:57 am

I wonder if you can transfer points from people who are not your legal spouse?
Old Jun 6, 2002, 9:59 am

doctorphil, can you please explain about the 2,000 HH ponits from AutoMall? I don't think there's any registration bonus between the programs.
Old Jun 7, 2002, 9:36 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MarkRichmond:
I wonder if you can transfer points from people who are not your legal spouse?</font>
I have the same question. What if I open an account for someone of my family and then transfer those points to my account?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.