Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Which airline's FF program remembers you on your birthday?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 2002, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP

I honestly wouldn't have thought possible but there is an airline FF program that does care about you as an individual.

As a novice PPS CLUB member of SINGAPORE AIRLINES'S FF LOYALTY PROGRAM, I have been thoroughly impressed at what lengths this airline has gone in terms of PLEASING the customer.

Today's my birthday. About 3 weeks ago, my collegues received a call from a representative from SQ's PPS CLUB enquiring where they can send my "gift" on my birthday. I have totally forgotten all about it since it hadn't arrived prior to today. I thought , oh, probably a card or something like this. But imagine my thorough surprise when a courier delivered a big box (about 2'x1'x0.5') all wrapped up in red SQ wrapping paper. ALong with a card that says "Dear... Wishing you many happy return trips. Signed PPS Loyalty Manager"

In the box is a Balencia Overnight Suiter bag. Okay, it's not Louis Vuitton, but still, I am throughly surprised and touched by the thought that went into it.

As FTers might know about me, I am not exactly a 100% fan of Singapore Airlines, but have acheived PPS status through a set of tickets that were expiring and in turn, I managed to qualify for PPS late last year.

The "Welcome Set" was a box containing two sets of Lugguage Tags, the PPS card, a booklet detailing a list of restaurants, shops and hotels that offer discounts and special promotions upon flashing of the PPS card. In the box too, was a "Welcome Gift" of a silver pen by Caran d'Ache. Again, not a very expensive gift but still something that says "Welcome and we care about your business".

Older PPS members and those who qualify for Solitaire apparently receive gifts ranging from fine wines and champagnes to Wedgewood china, and other name-brand items of quality.

Okay, so I'm easily impressed! When PPS was introduced way back in 1981, I was once of the first people who qualified. In fact I am proud to say that I was the firstperson in North America who qualified for PPS status. Even then I received a lovely leather bound desk writing set, and a pen. Unfortunately my travel plans changed and I never kept up my renewal and soon, I was just a forgotten passenger. But even so, SQ had already made an impression.

Now, many years later, I can still see Singapore Airlines' PPS Club program indeed is like a private club. That members are rewarded for being loyal to the airline, and it's not just your mileage total that counts.

I hope to be a ongoing member of this wonderful airline FF loyalty program.
Old Apr 2, 2002, 12:52 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

HHHHHmmmm... do you think that luggage could be left over from the unclaimed luggage department?

William
Old Apr 2, 2002, 1:26 pm
BSL

Only WN
Old Apr 3, 2002, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
I receive a birthday card from WN every year.

Even though I haven't flown WN for a while now (ex-companion pass level flyer), I still think positively about WN due to small touches such as the birthday card.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 3:45 pm

Not AAdvantage.
Old Apr 3, 2002, 7:25 pm

Only WN. I think I got a birthday card from Randy a few years back too.
Old Apr 4, 2002, 9:44 am

Aeroflot gave me 1000 miles on my birthday.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 6:29 am

Doesn WN still send out birthday cards to their Rapid Rewards members? My birthday is at the end of November and I got one in 1999 and again in 2000, but they didn't send one in 2001. (And yes, I flew them the same amount in 2001 as I did the previous two years.)

At the time, I thought they might have discontinued the practice in an effort to save money after September 11.

Mike
Old Apr 6, 2002, 7:22 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
What happens when you fly on your Birthday?

On CO.
Old Apr 6, 2002, 10:01 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ROADRUNNER:

On CO.
</font>
You get an extra portion of tri-colored pasta.

------------------
Addicted to airline miles? Check out: Mileage Workshop
Old Apr 6, 2002, 5:54 pm
Original Member

Southwest. And in true WN spirit, it's always on time, and not too frilly!
Old Apr 6, 2002, 10:53 pm
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
I'm really interested that GuyBetsy has had good experiences with PPS club. Mine is completely opposite.

Huge numbers of unposted segments which when sent off for PPS credit, get rejected because SQ cannot understand that I only want PPS credit not miles.

If they are posted, it's so late that they're outside the year they were travelled and so no PPS card is forthcoming. It's got to a stage where I won't deal with SQ at all.
Old Apr 7, 2002, 9:03 am

Programs: Delta, UA, SPG
Last year as a YX FF+ I was credited 500 happy b-day miles to my acct.

This year as a YX FF+ - nothing.
Old Apr 9, 2002, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ROADRUNNER:

On CO.
</font>
Well, on some asian airlines like SQ, if its noted on your reservation by your travel agent, or reservations dept, you'll get a small birthday cake. Even in economy!
Old Apr 9, 2002, 12:17 pm

Programs: YOW-AC*SE,SPG Plat, Hertz #1 Club
Certainly not Aeroplan! We're lucky if we get a regular update on our accounts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.