Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Can I book award if I don't have miles yet?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 14, 2001, 9:24 am
Original Poster

I am about 3,000 miles short of redeeming an award on American. However, I have applied for an affinity credit card (and have already got the first monthly statement, so the 5,000 bonus miles should post any day now). Will they issue me the award and take out the miles once they have posted? They told me there is only 1 award seat left on the flight I want to take, so I cant wait too long.
Old May 14, 2001, 9:34 am
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
Does American allow you to purchase up to 10% of the miles required if you are short for an award.

It's possible with many programs.

[This message has been edited by Carioca Canuck (edited 05-14-2001).]
Old May 14, 2001, 9:38 am
BJJ

I've done this with AA several times. I reserved the ticket, and they told me exactly what date I would have to have the miles by. I do believe you can also buy the extra miles if you come up short.
Old May 15, 2001, 7:41 am

American has allowed me to hold seats and post pone the redemption waiting for pending miles to post-- tell them what you are doing and they may extend to within 3 weeks ( to avoid paying any surcharges)-- I did this in November and just the other day
Old May 15, 2001, 8:37 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
... as a LH Senator you could go (officially) to a max of 160'000 negative miles&more-miles
Old May 15, 2001, 8:47 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I've reserved seats without having the total points on several airlines, including DL and AA. It depends on the period in which you can reserve the seat before they need you to lock into it. With one trip on AA where I needed 120k points I was able to request an extension of one month beyond the original hold date.
Old May 15, 2001, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker

This should be in the American Airlines forum.
Old May 15, 2001, 12:37 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Although the particulars have to do with AA, people's experience with other airlines might be relevent, so I think this is as good a place as any to ask the question. Asking customer service directly is always a good thing to do as well. I just donated to the National Parks promotion (only $10) but it posted the next day. If you are planning on donating $200 you would 2000 miles right away.

------------------
DtG
Old May 15, 2001, 12:43 pm

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
I think NoStress has it right.

This question was specifically about what American Airlines will let you do. It should have been posted in the AA forum.

If the original post wanted to know how AA's policy differed from others, this would be an appropriate venue.

AA will let you make the booking w/o the miles. However, you need the miles before the award can actually be ticketed.
Old May 15, 2001, 4:49 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
Most all carriers will deduct the mileage when you ticket, Ive booked award travel with UA and they have not deducted the miles until I had them issue the award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.