You're 1 year away from a free ticket...at the most

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 17, 2000, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood

Let's look at some MyPoints math here:

200 points per week for surveys at TalkCity.com

175 points per week for building surveys at Zoomerang.com

In 52 weeks, you get 19,500 points for not spending a dime and maybe spending a total of 26 hours during the year on line...not a bad way to get some free travel.

I'm sure that these folks will change the generous availability shortly, but it's a good way to rack them up before that happens.
Old Mar 17, 2000, 10:06 am

This calculation does not take into consideration the fact that there are also 120-150 points per week available from MyWay.com.

Between the Talk City 200 and the MyWay 150 and the other weekly points available, you can accumulate 400 points per week and earn a free ticket in about a year. This does not even count bonuses like the Zoomerang deal and the new Try it Out partners. Despite all of there problems, MyPoints definitely seems to offer the most for the least work and purchasing.
Old Mar 17, 2000, 10:28 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Just one underlying assumption here- that the points are properly credited (also, of course, that the MyPoints program remaims in tact and unchanged through your calendar year!)

Hopefully this is, and will continue to be, the case!!
Old Mar 17, 2000, 11:03 am

Good deal????? 1 "Free" ticket for $2,000.00 of my time (26 hours * $75.00).

Sorry, not interested.

------------------
"Free" without charge or cost, having no obligation.
Old Mar 17, 2000, 1:59 pm

CanadianFlyer just had to brag about his total earnings. Not impressed, especialy since in Canada that probably gives you the same amount of money as a job at McDonalds in the good old USA
Old Mar 17, 2000, 2:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am not in the afore mentioned mega-buck salary brackets (well maybe sometimes), but I do happen to agree with the final bottom line conclusion of CanadianFlyer, ie "Sorry, not interested".

I really do not want to have the whole world to know my internet readings or browsings etc......and all these info-gathering sites do just this through the use of cookies AND PERHAPS OTHER INTERESTING HIDDEN TRICKS OF COMPUTER OPERATING SYSTEMS. They can and do scan your total computer history. I really do value my privacy and my nice name.

[This message has been edited by MisterNice (edited 03-17-2000).]
Old Mar 17, 2000, 5:18 pm

I did not meant it a a brag. It was only an example that shows that things that appear to be "free" are really not so. Even at a rate of $20.00/hour, the time spent is worth over $500.00.

------------------
"Free" without charge or cost, having no obligation.
Old Mar 17, 2000, 9:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott Lifetime / Annual Titanium; Massively Missing Starwood
So these two posts cost you about two bucks...

Old Mar 18, 2000, 1:43 am

This just goes on to prove that there is NO-FREE-LUNCH.
Old Mar 20, 2000, 7:52 pm

It's worth it to me -- I simply don't have a job where I get to travel enough (or earn enough, for that matter) to earn all my free tickets the "hard" way by flying. (By the way, how much to the elites here "pay" with their presumably valuable time racking up their miles? Hate to do the math on that...) But I have time to do the surfing and shopping that I'd be doing anyway, I just try to find reasonable opportunities to do it in such a way that I earn miles.

As for privacy, I guess that's a personal thing. I've more or less given up on that one -- if it's okay with the Supreme Court (to not have privacy count for much anymore) I guess it's okay by me!
Old Mar 20, 2000, 9:54 pm

Programs: Delta DM 1MM, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
All good points here (well except for the CDN$/MC D's jab I would still rather earn CDN75 and not wear a paper hat!). Canadian, I think your point is valid, it depends on how you value your time. If some of the incredible posters here added up how much time they spend here I suspect many could not cost justify it and we would all be out a great deal. Also was the last movie you watched worth $157? (2hrs+$7) To me I ask the question would I rather be working than to do this other thing? If the answer is no then your time into that activity is worth somewhat less than your hourly earnings rate at work. Take a case in point: I debate with my Mother-in-law about why she and her husband don't fly to FL from MI (a 24hr 2day drive for them), especially when switching their phone service, using CC's, etc. could easily get them the tix for little effort. She responds that they have the time and the drive for them is part of the vacation fun. I on the other hand would rather work and fly than spend 24hrs on the road. I consider my web time hunting for ff info/programs/miles a hobby and realxing therefore I do not require it to earn me nearly what my time is worth in the business world. Obviously our Canadian friend views it differently which is his decision. Anyway enough philosophy--back to my $10/hr quest for miles!
Old Mar 22, 2000, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

I think that the math on the 156,000 per year annual salary is a bit off actually. If this is the approach taken for what is done with one's free time, you probably lose far more money than you earn just by sleeping seven hours every night. How about playing with your kids? Watching an athletic event? Never mind one's sex life: that was nice honey, but not worth the $X (won't insult anyone by putting a number in)it just cost me in lost earnings! I think that most people can easily spending 26 hours of their free time each year getting a free (yes, free) ticket. That is less than 1% of the total time in any year, and even lower this year with the extra day.

[This message has been edited by dingo (edited 03-22-2000).]
Old Mar 23, 2000, 11:11 am

Last time I checked, my employer only pays me for the 40 hours a week I spend at work. If you know of a program that pays me for my own time, please let me know, I want to sign up!

In all seriousness, I like the idea that I can earn 'miles without flying' because I hardly ever fly! For us now-and-again travelers, it's a great deal.
Old Mar 23, 2000, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

quote:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In all seriousness, I like the idea that I can earn 'miles without flying' because I hardly ever fly!
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Er................and what will you do with the miles?

ps: and welcome aboard to this expert and lively news group!!
Old Mar 23, 2000, 1:12 pm

FLY, of course! Give me a free ticket and I'm there! But if I use just airline miles to earn a free ticket, it'll be decades before I get one...

I was just checking out the MyPoints site, and I want to make sure I understand this, being a newbie and all! I need to earn 25,000 MyPoints in order to get 25,000 VacationMiles, which in turn can be used to get a free round-trip ticket on Delta to the Caribbean where I can do some diving. Right? I think I've found my inspiration!

Has anyone redeemed one of these awards? Any problems?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.