Wiki Posts
Search

Miles for cancelled flight

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 1999, 12:08 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Miles for cancelled flight

I know this question has been asked before, but can anyone direct me to the forum where we discussed whether one can receive miles for cancelled flight?

I just called AA, spoke to three people and finally received miles for a cancelled SFO-BOS flight in which I was rebooked on UA. According to the rep and her supervisor, it is AA's policy not to award miles for cancelled flights.

Is this commonplace for domestic (US) airlines?
Old Mar 29, 1999, 1:09 pm
Original Member

I was flying to Manchester, United Kingdom last year on Delta. My flight from BOS --> JFK was cancelled and I was rebooked on UA. Because it was a later flight, I missed my JFK --> MAN flight and was rerouted on SN through Brussels. Although the extra stop was an inconvenience, it did result in me getting enough extra miles to move up to the next elite level! I received miles on DL for all three segments - including the UA operated segment.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 1:40 pm
Original Member

I was flying from Kingston, Ontario to Boston in January on Air Canada and I was to connect in Toronto. Due to a freezing rain storm, Air Canada cancelled their flights to Toronto, but Canadian Airlines was still running in Beachcraft 1900D aircraft (I have never felt so close to a near disaster. Never fly those aircraft in ice!) Anyways, Canadian accepted my flight coupon, but of course Air Canada did not want to give me the miles. A letter to the Aeroplan Elite Centre corrected that in a hurry! I was shocked when they told me on the phone that they usually do not give miles for a cancelled flight. I have yet to figure out if they added to my qualifying miles,segments total! I hope so, otherwise I will need to write another letter.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 2:30 pm
Original Member

My problem here is more getting a refund of miles used for a cancelled flight than getting miles for the flight itself. Recently, we used miles to upgrade on a flight that was cancelled. We got on another flight, but the upgrade wasn't available, and we couldn't get a refund of the miles we'd used to upgrade on the non-flight. Any suggestions? This was Delta.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 2:38 pm
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Phil: Scream, write letter. Rinse and repeat as needed.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 4:02 pm
Original Member

In my experience, it all depends who you talk to. I was involuntarily rerouted from AA to Delta in January when my AA flight was cancelled. They told me that I would not receive credit but if I was close at the end of the year, they would consider the reroute to qualify for Gold/Plat status.

However, when I volunteered to move from an oversold AA flight to US Airways, I was awarded the miles after a call to AA Customer Service. (BTW, if you called but did not speak to Customer Service (which is different from the normal agent who answers), call back and try CS).

Also, this past week LGA was shut down due to a security breech (see Flight Report) and they switched us from AA to UA to ensure that we made our connection in ORD. I called AA this morning and they credited my girlfriend and myself for the re-routed flights.

I think it also depends on your status -- they probably go out of their way for a top tier member versus a non-top tier member.

--Jimk
Old Mar 29, 1999, 4:12 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hyatt Courtesy card. Delta 2MM Diamond. AA platinum pro
I was recently booked on Delta from San Juan to Atlanta, then on to L.A. The Atl to LA flight was canceled. After complaining at Checkin, I was booked in C Class on AA- even though I had upgraded with miles on Delta. The next day customer service at Delta credited my Delta account.
The whole thing was a very pleasant surprise.
Old Mar 29, 1999, 6:15 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA Platinum, AS, UA, DL, HHonors Gold, Marriott LTP, Hyatt, IHG Platinum
CO has always given me credit for cancelled flights - no questions asked. I used miles to upgrade on US Air recently and the flight was cancelled. The flight I was booked on did not have first available. I called the US Air service center and they promptly credited my account with the miles. Can't speak for other airlines. Had flight cancelled on UA a few weeks ago. Haven't seen mileage for it. A call to Mileage Plus WILL be placed.
Old Mar 30, 1999, 12:52 am
Original Member

Ahhhh... I love CP. Not only did they give me points for the replacement flight, they gave me 5000 status qualifying miles and two unlimited upgrade stickers (anywhere, any fare) just for the inconvenience. As someone else noted, my top tier status may have played a roll, but even back in the "bad old days" I always got some sort of bonus when a flight was cancelled. The first time, I was a "nobody" -- lowest level. They still comped my to business class, which also got me 125% miles, instead of discounted 50%. (There were empty seats in coach, so it's not like they *had* to.)

Regards,

Ken Hamer
Old Mar 30, 1999, 2:03 am

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I must agree with Ken about CP, I was on a flight that was merely delayed for 1.5 hours and received 500 bonus miles without asking.

Location: Winnipeg Canada, Cambridge England. CP - EP (R.I.P.) formerly AC-SE now lower than the lowest low.
I must agree with Ken about CP, I was on a flight that was merely delayed for 1.5 hours and received 500 bonus miles without asking.

Old Mar 30, 1999, 6:48 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
SCMM: Looks like you REALLY agree with Ken

IME, one should ALWAYS get miles for both a cancelled flight AND the rebooked flight (assuming you're rebooked to a different airline). Also, one should have any and all points returned for unused upgrades. Don't stop bothering them until you get what's coming!!!
Old Mar 30, 1999, 11:16 am
Commander Catcop

Matt is correct. When I end up on cancelled flights and get on another airline I generally ask for and get the miles for BOTH airlines!

I would be happy if I just get the miles for the MAIN AIRLINE (Generally it's U-A that ends up wtih cancelled flights.)

CO posts fast with just about everything. AA even credited me with miles when I got bumped there (They said "If you have an account with us you get miles.")

ANd of course "FIGHT FOR THOSE MILES!"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.