Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Beware of Car Rental FF Fees

Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2003, 5:10 am
Original Poster

Beware of Car Rental FF Fees

Avis, Hertz & National are all charging a $.50 per day FF fee if you want FF miles on the rental.

Personally I use Thrifty who has a real money saver for CO OP FF members. Call 1-800-THRIFTY & give them your CO OP # & save! I did for 2 weeks Hawaiian rental & saved $100 a weeek over other care rental companies. $168 midsize per week.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 5:44 am

Thrifty also charges $0.50/day if you want FF mile. I just rented a car last week and the agent mentioned it.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 7:23 am
Original Poster

Just read my contract & it isn't on it......
Old Jun 20, 2003, 10:25 am

Programs: delta pm, aa exp, hilton diamond
There is no chage it get hotel points. I was told by hertz that only the airlines are charging.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 1:00 pm

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
I thought it only applied to American FF mile programs - so if QF then no charge?
Old Jun 20, 2003, 1:54 pm
Suspended

abit of a hassle but save the fee. dont give them your FF#, after you return the car call customer service and they will put it in for you and since the contract is closed they wont charge you. I just tell em it seems they forgot to put my # down.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 2:00 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
There is poetic justice in a strategy that saves you an unfair fee and simultaneously costs the company extra money. But we can look forward to a $2 service fee to credit missing FF miles...
Old Jun 20, 2003, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Hertz doesn't charge for their own in-house points. ("ZE1" points)

If you rent often and have a need for stand-alone Free Day certificates, this is by far your most lucrative option. I use them all the time to turn a one-day $45 rental into a FREE rental.

(If you never have ONE-day rentals, ZE1 points won't be worth quite as much to you. But...they still might be your best option for Hertz rentals. Do your own math based on your rental needs.)
Old Jun 20, 2003, 10:02 pm

I take ZE1 also.

I think that Hertz doesn't charge any surcharge for AAdvantage miles either.

-David
Old Jun 21, 2003, 5:56 am

Programs: NW/DL/CO/HH/PC
There is no fee for Worldperks miles with National at present either.
Old Jun 23, 2003, 9:14 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG GLD, PC PLT SPIRE
FF fees only applies to domestic airlines. For Hertz and Avis, I get Virgin Atlantic miles. At 1,000 miles per rental, not too shabby.
Old Jun 25, 2003, 10:35 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Hertz President Circle, Copaair Presidential, and Southwest A-List
With National, there is no fee for Northwest airlines and other non-U.S. based airlines.

If you want domestic, then credit it toward NW, which also grants you one partner credit for the "Fly Free Faster" promotion that is currently being offered.

Otherwise, credit the miles to AC or BA and get 500 miles per rental, regardless of the number of days rented.

Old Jun 29, 2003, 9:01 pm

National recently sent an e-mail and a postcard to their Emerald Club card members indicating that the service charge will take effect on 07/13/03. Your profile needs to be updated with the affirmation that the new charge is accepted otherwise no FF miles. Do nothing and no charge and no miles.
Old Jul 1, 2003, 7:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I had 2 Thrifty rentals in HI as well. The agent refused to enter my PL/GP number. GP customer service asked me to send in the rental receipts. Now, do I get charged retroactively? Maybe, this is a way to AVOID the FF charge??

Old Jul 2, 2003, 3:10 pm

Hertz continually denies me AA miles when I book a "discount" rate, which is all the time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.