Wiki Posts
Search

RTW Upgrade Question

Search this Thread

Old Apr 11, 2002, 10:51 am
Original Member
Original Poster

RTW Upgrade Question

I am facing this question and I am just curious as to what others on this board would say.

Without going into all of the details I have to take a RTW trip soon for business and my client will pay for C class (probably a *A RTW).

For an extra $800 of my own $$$, I can go up to YVR (quick trip from SFO) and exchange the ticket for a First class RTW.

Is it worth it? What would you do?

deech
Old Apr 11, 2002, 11:03 am

Programs: AA - Lifetime Gold
I'd do it in a NY minute
Old Apr 11, 2002, 11:06 am
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

I would pay the $800.00, particularly if your RTW itinerary includes Asia-based airlines (CX, SQ--as their service is so great). You're going to be flying some very long hauls..Europe to Asia can be 14 hours or so. So, IMHO, if someone else were paying for C class & I had the opportunity to go First for $800, I would definitely pay the price; the difference in comfort and service is well worth it.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 12:01 pm

Programs: UA MP:1P for life, TG:Gold, CO:Gold
Absolutely. Plus, access to FC lounges, and increased flexibility in schedule changes, last minute re-routes, etc., are all made that much easier on an F-ticket.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 12:12 pm

SQ will even call you prior to your departure to discuss your menu preferences . In addition to having flat beds (which some business class now offers), you will find nice creature comforts such as sheets and duvets (not to mention pajamas). The First class lounges are also quite a bit nicer than Biz lounges abroad. So, enjoy!
Old Apr 11, 2002, 3:38 pm

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
Well, if it was me, no way. $880 is a lot on money to me. That is more than I pay in rent each month.

Sure, I like first class but biz class is good, and you can still get into lounges, right? To me, just about any lounge is better than no lounge. I'm not super picky. But then again, I'm a low level domestic traveler.

I suppose if $880 to you is like $50 to be, then go for it. It's your money. Spend it how you please.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I would pay it - for all the comfort already explained above plus I would probably have a good ROI of the money spent by sparing a lot of food/wine money before and after my international first class flights.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I'd do it in a minute, especially if I could tweak the routing for extra miles.
Old Apr 11, 2002, 6:21 pm

Programs: "Only" 50,000 TPs until BA GGLfL
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
I would pay it - for all the comfort already explained above plus I would probably have a good ROI of the money spent by sparing a lot of food/wine money before and after my international first class flights.</font>
Rudi - here's a question and a half. What's the best wine you've had on a plane in the last ten years (non champagne)??

As for the RTW question - I would, but it's a matter of personal choice.
Regards,
Alex

Old Apr 11, 2002, 7:41 pm

Location: Los Angeles, CA; temporarily in Pensacola Beach, FL; no, I have NO elite status in ANYTHING yet - but working on AA Lifetime GLD!
One more PLUS - don't you get a mileage bonus for being in First (vs. Biz)???

- Sameer
Old Apr 11, 2002, 11:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
You get the mileage bonus. You also get another level of service on the ground (at least for the UA portion of a * RTW) that is worth the $, especially if there are any irregular ops. And being able to lay flat is worth so much - as I sit here typing this awaiting an 1145pm SFO/ORD in 2 cabin F, knowing I will be cranky very soon.
Old Apr 12, 2002, 11:45 am
Original Member
Original Poster

You all convinced me. . .I'll do it!

I'll post a trip report when I get back.

Thanks for all the input.

deech
Old Apr 12, 2002, 12:45 pm

Glad we convinced you, Would love to know your RTW routing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.