Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Using Palm VII inflight

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2000, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Using Palm VII inflight

Curious to know people's experiences in using the Palm VII inflight. Yesterday I travelled from LAX to ORD and was able to successfully use my Palm VII to check some AA flights, send email and check weather in a city.

Thoughts?
Old May 31, 2000, 12:33 pm

From what I understand you are not supposed to use Palms in-flight but they may have changed this rule.

[This message has been edited by SaladBowl (edited 05-31-2000).]
Old May 31, 2000, 12:47 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
SaladBowl is correct. Receiver/transmitters may not be used at any time during flight.
Old May 31, 2000, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

Yes, you're correct. I *know* we're *probably* not supposed to use it in transit. But it's interesting that it works, particularly if you need to catch another flight and you're concerned about delays, etc.

Old May 31, 2000, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL 2+Million Miler, Delta Platinum(by choice), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, IHG Platinum
The reason they ban them is that they might interfere with the plane's navigational systems and communications. You might end up in the wrong city because you used the Palm and will really need to check flight schedules if they are correct. Personally I think they have gone overboard on what they ban, but I'm not an electronics expert.

------------------
Old May 31, 2000, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: On a collision course with Kettledom
Why would someone risk the safety of a flight, no matter how remote of a chance?
Old May 31, 2000, 4:43 pm

ChicagoMark, I was on a flt not to long ago and someone was on his cell phone in flight the FA told him to put it up and turn it off a few minutes later the phone rang. He answered and talked for a couple on minutes. The FA stood beside the chair and took the phone from him when he finished talking. She carried it to the pilot and when we landed the FBI was there to take the phone and the passenger away.
Old May 31, 2000, 5:09 pm

Location: DEN, UA PE, Hilton Gold, ** Reactivate Delete Feature**
Good for her and the airline. Safety first.

If the call is really that important, use the airphone. [Yes, I know what it costs, I've used it.]
Old May 31, 2000, 5:16 pm
Original Member

Programs: Hilton - Diamond, IHG - Platinum
Yes, Why would someone put the lives of other people on the flight at risk? There are a lot of rules that seem silly, but I'm not real fond of "pushing the limits" when safety is at risk!
Old May 31, 2000, 8:46 pm

I was once told that wireless service providers had a hand in the ban because in-flight calls (@500mph, altitude 35K) confuse the cell towers.

Has anyone ever heard that? Is it complete hogwash?
Old May 31, 2000, 9:52 pm

Programs: AC SE, SPG P
What about pagers? These may pose a similar problem!
Old May 31, 2000, 10:08 pm
Original Member

Location: The shape-shifting urban sprawl that is El Lay. FT member #71.
Programs: UA Gold & MM; DL & AA credit card dirt status; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Fool's Gold
meara,

That is probably one of the major reasons cell phones are banned in flight. A weak signal from 31,000 feet will hit dozens of sites at once, confusing and overloading the system's channels. Private pilots use cell phones regularly, driving providers nuts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.