Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aer Lingus

Search this Thread

Old May 28, 2002, 7:42 pm
Original Poster

Aer Lingus

New user here, so I'm jumping in. I've got 200,000+ AX points and 150,000 Diners points, 50,000 AAdvantage miles and need 4 tickets on Aer Lingus (AAdvantage partner) this summer. I know I can transfer my Diners miles into AA, does anyone have ideas on how I can get AX points into my AA account? Thanks for help.
Old May 28, 2002, 8:44 pm

You may wish to keep the AMEX points where they are - don't forget that you can get EI awards directly from AMEX. Last time I looked (a few weeks ago) some of the AMEX business class awards on EI were cheaper (i.e. fewer points/miles) than the equivalent AAdvantage awards.

[This message has been edited by EDoyle (edited 05-28-2002).]
Old May 28, 2002, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

thanks alot - I had only looked as far as Air Rewards on the AX site so now I've got my answer, unless someone else has a better one. Thanks for the reply
Old May 29, 2002, 8:21 am

Programs: QR platinum
Watch out with aer lingus, it could be out of business

see also : http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum...ML/004280.html

Old May 29, 2002, 1:57 pm

a Pilot's Strike and going out of business are two very different things! :P You had me worried for a second.

The Aer Lingus rewards for MR breakdown like this:

$149 Economy Class Companion Ticket to Ireland
9,000 points

Free Economy Class Companion Ticket to Ireland
30,000 Points

Free Economy Class Ticket to Ireland 50,000 Points

$399 Premier Ticket to Ireland
60,000 Points

Free Premier class Ticket to Ireland 100,000 Points

Ireland Vacation Package for two
150,000 Points

4 Free Economy tickets to Ireland
160,000 Points
Old May 29, 2002, 2:24 pm
JRF

Programs: DL Flying Colonel
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NickyD:
a Pilot's Strike and going out of business are two very different things! :P You had me worried for a second.</font>
You should be worried, this has been going on for over 2 years now and the end of EI could be any day away. EI tried to find a buyer a few months ago but all parties, including BA, walked away. Look in, News, & EI Forum (EU collective group) for more details.
Old May 29, 2002, 2:33 pm

I'll worry as much as I'm worried that US Airways is going to go out of business.

Which means, not very much. Somethings are just beyond our control. But there is still a major difference between a Pilot's Strike and a complete dissolution of an airline.

Old May 29, 2002, 11:30 pm

you maybe would want to hold off on that booking. Reports say that EI could halt operations as soon as this friday!!
Old May 29, 2002, 11:35 pm

Hey Nicky D -

You might turn off the smugness - I just read recently, as well, that Aer Lingus might well be closing doors eff. Fri. It seems that the end is very near - more so than it is at US Airways.

[This message has been edited by AS Flyer (edited 05-29-2002).]
Old May 30, 2002, 4:10 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Aer Lingus has halted operations due to the strike.

http://biz.yahoo.com/djus/020530/200...2000146_1.html

------------------
dog food...whoops I mean snack

KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
Virtual Airline Management Group

*a QF here and an IB there, here a AA, there a BA, everywhere a ....?
Old May 30, 2002, 10:28 am

I'm not trying to be smug. Optimistic perhaps, but not smug.

Doom-saying is not one of my favorite pre-occupations. Hopefully, they'll resolve this strike fairly soon, and will resume operations sometime in the near future... Hopefully before my reservations in September. :P
Old May 30, 2002, 1:01 pm
JRF

So long as you make your ticket payment with a credit card, you will not be out the money should EI fail. However, you may loose the reservation.

Remember, Sabena and Swissair? Guess they would never go broke either? They both had strikes recently......

Good luck!
Old May 30, 2002, 3:02 pm

Programs: BW Diamond, Choice Plat, National Exec Elite
an
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JRF:
Remember, Sabena and Swissair? Guess they would never go broke either? They both had strikes recently......</font>

Those two shutdowns had NOTHING to do with strikes. Swissair had no labor problems to speak of, and SABENA employees only protested AFTER the carrier was grounded. Both were grounded due to finances, not labor. Aer Lingus employees don't like the results of the mediation they agreed to, so now they are striking. Good idea...

Old Jun 1, 2002, 8:29 am
JRF

Aer Lingus has labor problems due to financial conditions. If the airlines is shut down, it will be due to financial failure. EI has been asking the gov for money for quite some time now, and the gov has been trying to privatise them.

Take a look at it from the other side. This is very similar to Swiss Air and Sabena. EI has been having financial problems for several years.
Old Jun 2, 2002, 9:25 pm
JAP

Location: Cork, Ireland. Aer Lingus (in the bin), BA Gold (woo hoo!), EBB Blue, HH Diamond, Starwood Plat, Hyatt Diamond
Gents,

Look in www.ireland.com - strike on the way to being resolved ....

John P.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.