Wiki Posts
Search

UA, BA or AA for LHR-SFO award travel?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2, 1999, 1:56 am
Original Member
Original Poster

UA, BA or AA for LHR-SFO award travel?

I am planning to use most of my mileage for leisure travel between London and San Francisco. As a general principle, I prefer to use miles to upgrade from the lowest eligible coach fare to business class rather than use miles for the ticket itself.

My question is this: should I accumulate miles in the UA program, the AA program or the BA program? Which offers the best combination of low fares and low mileage requirements to upgrade? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

------------------
Cheers,
HKF
Old Apr 2, 1999, 4:36 am
Suspended

Programs: BA, SQ, AA, QF, CX, VS
HKFlyer-

Which frequent flyer programme are you on? I think at one time, you said that CX was your preferred airline. If you are on AsiaMiles, you can upgrade on a BA ticket to SFO.

But if not, try sticking with AA's programme and upgrade with AA. I am unfamiliar with BA's programme as it involves different procedures. But I think BA does not have upgrade possibilities.

I hope it helps.
Old Apr 2, 1999, 5:26 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I have about 300,000 United Miles and about 100,000 American Airlines miles. (I put all my Cathay miles on American's program) I believe I can convert all the UA miles to BA miles 1:1 through Diners Club, so I am pretty flexible.

I am particularly interested whether, on a going forward basis, to accumulate UA miles, AA miles, or BA miles.

------------------
Cheers,
HKF
Old Apr 2, 1999, 8:11 am
Original Member

HKF - BA will only allow upgrades on full fare World Traveller tickets, and a US - Europe upgrade will cost you 40k miles.

This option is available only to US Exec Club members - the UK and Global Executive Clubs do not allow members to purchase upgrades.

So if you're looking to upgrade a discount ticket, you will probably be better off with one of the US-based airlines.

(Incidentally, a US - Europe Club award seat will cost you 80k)
Old Apr 2, 1999, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

HongKongFlyer, the lowest fare (last October) that I have ever had SFO-LHR that was upgradable was $476 R/T on United. There was a $389 R/T available at the time, but it was not upgradable. The miles for upgrade were a total of 40,000 R/T. Good Luck.
Old Apr 2, 1999, 11:40 am
Original Member

As previously noted, UA would appear to be the best bet. Also, I believe that they are the only airline to fly SFO --> LHR nonstop using the comfortable 777. BA and VS fly nonstop using the 747 instead.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 7:32 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I guess I will stick with UA.

I have read many of you discuss how much you love the 777, and I agree it is a nice airplane. However, in my opinion, upstairs on a 747 is still the best way to travel long haul.
Old Apr 6, 1999, 9:43 am

HKF: I agree. I much prefer a 747.
Nick
Old Apr 6, 1999, 11:04 am
Original Member

This may be a bit late, but you can enroll in AA's platinum challenge program, fly AA and use your miles to upgrade (unlike UA, AA will let you upgrade internationally on all fares, I think).
Old Apr 6, 1999, 11:26 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Apples and Oranges, guys. Assume (for Merry's sake) that BA's 747s are "better" than UA's 777s. The UA 777s are still "better" than the UA 747s. ESPECIALLY the dreaded 747 OP (my fate for 13 hours this friday)...IMHO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.