Wiki Posts
Search

Happy Holidays! New Year's Wish Lists

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 1998, 9:35 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Happy Holidays! New Year's Wish Lists

I think it's time for everyone to share their New Year's wish list of where they are hoping to travel to in the New Year (for pleasure, not where you expect to be on business, although if you are able to tack on some leisure time to a good business trip, I guess that will count).
I'll start. We'll be going to New Mexico in April for Easter break with the kids (on Frequent flyer tickets, of course). Hope to hit Albuquerque, Taos, and Santa Fe, although my wife would rather substitute Four Corners or something like that for Taos.
Will probably try to go skiing with a couple of my old FBI and Dep't of Justice buddies out west. We have been going every year for the last 15, usually go to Sun Valley, the Salt Lake area resorts (Park City, Deer Valley, etc.) or Jackson Hole. May also have the opportunity to get in some skiing with some business trips, as I may be heading to Boise, Denver and Portland.
Hoping that a likely business trip to San Fransisco in the spring comes through, as I would like to take my wife along, and maybe head down to Monterey and Carmel, which we love.
If all goes well, maybe a trip up to Montreal and Quebec City this summer.
That's it on the horizon for now for Djlawman. Best Wishes to everyone for a Happy Holiday Season and a Great Traveling New year!!
Old Dec 20, 1998, 10:27 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I am grounded for now (time to take a breather)--probably flew about 80000 actual miles this year but with various bonuses etc made it well over 100K. For pleasure in 1999 (perhaps with some business thrown in) I will likely be going to the Cameroon in west Africa to help out my friends with an environmental project (volunteer basis) and Europe (United Kingdom and Finland) to visit family. Have 2 free tickets to Hawaii/Caribbean so will have to use/book? those before November. Will take my family along for all but Cameroon trip.

My brother has invited me to the Middle East to spend some time with him (he says he will pay for our tickets) but we have to find the time to go.

I have a companion ticket for any fare ticket purchased anywhere in world Air Canada flies so am open to suggestions from my flying friends as to where I might tack on a trip with them.

Other than that, I will be trying to tack on pleasure to trips in North America including Vancouver Island, Ottawa/Toronto, Arizona, California and possibly back to Switzerland again in May. Might also be a trip to Costa Rica thrown in there for good measure.
Old Dec 20, 1998, 10:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
That was 80000 paid miles in 1998. Flew another 40000 miles on award travel to South Africa, Arizona and U.K.
Old Dec 20, 1998, 10:45 pm
Original Member

Programs: TSA Refusenik charter member
It's great to hear people talking about their trips as far in advance as I talk about mine. Folks in my office think I'm nuts for planning so far in advance, but then wonder why I take such fabulous trips. Duh!

Anyway, I start the new year right with a week on Oahu's north shore for some sun and surfing and relaxing with my Mom. I leave the next day for D.C. for a possible job interview and a quick visit with friends. My other trips are to Burlington, Vermont, for a philosophy seminar and some hiking in July; Prague/Budapest in October and Houston in April or November to visit a friend who works for NASA. Oh, and a couple trips to San Francisco to try some new eateries. Those are just the pleasure trips. I'd estimate that's about 40K miles?? Business trips rarely take me farther than San Francisco - a crummy 1100 miles RT from PDX - but I may get lucky and get sent to Melbourne, Florida once or twice.

Happy travels to all!

EssXJay
Old Dec 21, 1998, 2:16 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K 3MM
Well, I actually start my New Year on a pleasure trip. I head to Tokyo on Boxing Day for a few days and then onto Hong Kong to welcome the New Year and attend a wedding. I'll fit a quick trip to Singapore and somewhere in Malaysia while I'm in Asia. This should be fun since the only place I've spent any time is Hong Kong.

I'm going to be swamped with biz related trips next year, but I hope that I have a chance to fly to London and Belgium (oh, the chocolates) next year. Of course, any trips I can squeeze home to Vancouver would be pleasurable to me!!
Old Dec 21, 1998, 5:51 am
Original Member

Programs: CO Gold, AA Gold, HH Diamond, IC Plat Ambassador
I'm sooooo jealous! Our meager travel plans:

A cruise in late March to celebrate a momentous event...

10 days on Maui in June to celebrate Melissa's graduation from high school/18th birthday...

The Party in Paradise early November (probably just a quick weekend trip)...

Several weekend jaunts to SAN to visit family and friends (we do this every year)

Wish list:

MCO to visit old friends

DC to show Raeban that it is a neat place despite the antics of the past year and to go to Anapolis, one of my favorite spots on the planet

SFO for a Napa Valley fling

Quebec to see the Formula One race (oops -- now you all know I'm a fan-atic about F1)

Thanks for this thread!!

Old Dec 21, 1998, 6:59 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
You DON'T want to hear my travel schedule for the first half of '99 (how do you spell Cheyenne?? how about Birmingham? Arcata?).

But Here are the HIGHlights:

Jan 2: Family trip to Disneyworld (the kids are READY!)

Jan 8: Business to Vegas (I *WILL* try the Star Trek Experience at the Vegas Hilton this time!)

Feb 12: Anniversary/Valentines in Paris with wife (scratching that 7 year itch).

March 4: Business in Puerto Rico (and getting there on United is a lesson in airline loyalty...have to spend the night at ORD to do it!!!)

June 2: Business in New Orleans (Say no More!)

My new years wish: more of the HIGHlight trips and fewer LOWlight trips..and how about a ski trip in there somewhere!!!!!
Old Dec 21, 1998, 9:05 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

My travel plans for 1999 are not yet formulated but this is what I have so far:

12/23: UA F class to Allentown, PA for Xmas with my in-laws (I actually enjoy their company). My wife and baby went a few days ago.

12/28: fly US coach to Boston (again!...geez, I was just there last week)

12/30: UA F class back to Seattle

1/12: QX to Boise

1/13: QX back to Seattle

1/20: QX to Spokane

1/21: QX back to Seattle

June: Kodiak, AK for some fishing alongside the bears

November: Kaui, HI with a one-day side trip to HNL for a special frequent flyer convention!
Old Dec 21, 1998, 9:33 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
round the world, StarAlliance, paid business (with my brother)
jan-20/21: SK: Zurich-Copenhague-Bangkok
first night: Riverside Marriott
second night: Mandarin Oriental (transfer by boat)
third night: Riverside Marriott (transfer by boat)
jan 24/25: TG: Bangkok - Melbourne
4 nights Sheraton (luxury collection, yards from the Australian Tennis Open)
jan 29: UA: Melbourne - LAX - IAD (first time that I will arrive before I depart ...)
one-night Mayflower (Renaissance)
jan-30: UA: DCA - MIA
two nights ("only" Days Inn, downtown Miami: Superbowl)
feb 1/2: LH: MIA - Frankfurt - Zurich.

Nov-99 (paradise-party, round the world with Gisela)
nov-4 LH: Zurich - Frankfurt - LAX, UA: LAX - HNL
4 nights HNL
nov - 8/9: UA: HNL - NRT - SIN
3 nights Singapur
nov - 12: TG: SIN - BKK - HKG
2 nights HKG (Ritz)
nov - 14: UA HKG - BKK
first night: Riverside Marriott
second night: Mandarin Oriental (transfer by boat)
third night: Riverside Marriott (transfer by boat)
nov - 17: TG: BKK - DEL
2 nights New Delhi
nov - 19: SK: DEL - Copenhague
2 nights Copenhague (Carlsberg/Tuborg)
nov - 21: SK: Copenhague - Zurich
Old Dec 21, 1998, 9:58 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I might later have some minor difficulties explaining the swiss tax-authorities, why I had to travel west (around the world) to meet the Carlsberg/Tuborg-people ...
Old Dec 21, 1998, 12:15 pm
Commander Catcop

My wish for everyone is to have Happy and Safe flying and travels in the New year.

Here's my developing travel itinery:

1-01... sleep off hangover in car going back to Dallas with my very good friends Steve and Joyce.

1-02: Home to Jerzee and very angry kitty
cats.

An overnight in January in NYC to see the new
Musical "Parade" which is getting great reviews.

2-22: Overnight in NYC to see Jimmy Buffett
at Madison Square Garden. Staying at the new
Courtyard by marriott in Times Square at terrific rate.

Sometime in April: Steve and Joyce want to go to Vegas. I do not need encouragement.

Sometime in late September/Early October: Toronto to see "The red Green Show" (Provided
Red decides to come back for a ninth season!
My Red green Hat, Possum Lodge gear and duct
tape is ready!)

November 4th to the 12th: The Party and Paradise in Honolulu and then to Maui to recover from the celebration.

Sometime will get to San Diego for a long weekend when I have some time to enjoy the beaches and laid back attitude.

Holly wants to go to New Orleans. Or Belize.
Or Vegas. SHe'll probably come into NYC in March if I get tickets to Pavarotti in Tosca.

I have a yearning to get to Europe or Hong Kong or Australia during 1999. Plus with the business trips it's making out to be a busy year.

One immediate go: requalify for PremEx for 2000. Maybe even CO's elite programs (so I can share a Pepsi with JawsII at the CO lounge!)

Most of these plans subject to change or friends suggesting "Want to go here, Mark?"

It's going to be a very interesting year!
CATMAN

Old Dec 21, 1998, 12:27 pm
Original Member

Everyone has such exciting travel plans!
Here is what mine look like thus far:

Late Jan/Feb: Trip to somewhere in Central America or Mexico. Will need to figure this out exactly dependent on FF miles.

Mar: San Francisco, I usually go here a few times a year.

April to June: Las Vegas where I also go a couple times a year, either by car or plane.

Summer: Ohio for my cousins wedding.

Dont know about the rest of the year yet. Will see what comes up!
Old Dec 21, 1998, 8:52 pm
Original Member

Wow! I suppose it is to be expected on a frequent flyer board, but you folks sure do get around. My leisure travel plans aren't as impressive:

Chinese New Year (Feb)- Bali for a holiday
April - Antigua Race Week (sailing)
June - London for a holiday
September - SFO for a holiday
November - New Zealand for the America's Cup

Hong Kong Flyer

Old Dec 22, 1998, 3:56 pm
pgupta011

My New Year Wish list would include a year where I do not make elite on any airline. Don't know where work would take me this year, and am planning a personal trip to India.

Old Dec 22, 1998, 8:07 pm
Original Member

My travel plans

MSN-ORD-CDG
CDG-ORD-MSN

Repeat

MSN-ORD-SFO
SFO-CDG
CDG-ORD-MSN

Repeat
etc..
etc..

With a couple side trips thrown in...

Phil

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.