Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

Luggage space under seat in front of you....

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 1998, 5:49 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold, UA Premier Platinum, DL Gold, Lifetime Bonvoy Titanium

We all know the drill about our luggage. Store them in the overhead bin or the space under the seat in front of you. Question: What if you were seated behind the bulkhead row and a passenger seated in the bulkhead decided to put their personal items under his/her seat, let's say, the space under the seat in front of you. Although it irritates me when bilkhead passengers do this (only if there is no space in the overhead bins), I just keep quiet because there is really no set rule on whose items should go in that space. What do yall think? I'm curious.
Old Dec 11, 1998, 10:11 pm
Original Member

They say it so often, that I would think that they really mean it--under the seat in front of you or in the luggage bin overhead. I would bring it to the passenger's attention first, by handing it to them, or asking them if you would mind if you put their stuff in the overhead bin, since that is your storage space. If they got huffy, I would probably concede it to them, but let them know that the tradeoff for having the extra space in the bulkhead row, is that you don't get any under-seat storage, and then casually confirm it with the flight attendant the next time s/he goes by, but loud enough to make sure the passenger in front of you hears it.
Old Dec 12, 1998, 7:19 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
Well, you'd be nicer than me...

I'm a big boy with big legs. THe under seat space is mine. I would ask the passenger if he would rather move it, or as an alternative, switch seats with me. I never use underseat storage, so if he wants it, he can take it with the seat.

Dave
Old Dec 12, 1998, 1:18 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, Lifetime PLT, Silver EK Skywards
I've had that problem before too. I'd ask politely if he (she) could remove the bags and place them in the overhead compartment. The airplane boarding logic is that if that person is sitting in the front rows, that passenger is probably a ff elite member and has the privilege of boarding first. But very often I see F/A warning passengers about their bags and taking the liberty of putting the carry under his or her seat, by YOUR feet. If that happens, you lose.
Old Dec 12, 1998, 5:37 pm
Original Member

I sort of figure that I have a right to put a bag under the seat in front of me. That's the way I travel. I always have a briefcase that goes under the seat. Seldom have anything that goes in the overhead. The once or twice I've questioned their under-seat stuff, there's been no question. But there sure might be. We need to limit carry-on to one piece, incuding womens' purses. The we can eliminate the overhead compartments and increase head room.
Old Dec 12, 1998, 8:55 pm
Commander Catcop

Phil... a one bag onboard rule may be the next step. I normally take two bags for business (the big one goes in the overhead) the briefcase in front of the seat in front of me. If it's leasure the backpack goes in the overhead just so I have some room in front of me. (If I'm in first or business it's just a matter of stowing the bag in the closet.)

I'll move my bag to overhead if someoen really needs room. But I too hate it when people sneak on with three or four bags (many tips shopping bags and shove them in the overheads and under the seats.) The F-A's seem to overlook this stuff, esp. around the holidays. Why can't people pack light and just put most of their "treasures" in their luggage? CATMAN
Old Dec 14, 1998, 7:48 am
Original Member

I've had the same problem with rude people trying to put their stuff in my foot space. I now avoid the problem by putting my feet all the way into the space under the (bulkhead) seat in front of me and *keeping* them there until after takeoff.

One the one or two occasions when someone kept trying to shove something under there anyway, I tell them to "Please quit shoving my feet." So far, this has ended the problem.

That space is *yours*, not *theirs*!
Old Dec 14, 1998, 7:53 am
Original Member

Isn't there a safety issue with bulkhead passengers putting things under their own seats? Most aircraft have lifejackets under the seats in coach, and if you were to put something under your own seat it would probably impede access to said life jacket... (as opposed to the person behind you putting their things there, *behind* the point at which you access the life jacket)
Old Dec 14, 1998, 7:57 am
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
arturo thimk spac undr seet for feet. spac in ovrhed for grips.
Old Dec 14, 1998, 9:49 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I really never experienced that problem (MY space under the seat in front of me being blocked) and me beeing 1m85cm probably nobody would ever dare to ...
Old Dec 14, 1998, 9:53 am
Original Member

roberto grrwl at peepl. They tek tings awey quik.
Old Dec 14, 1998, 10:03 am
Original Member

Ha! Arturo is European. Maybe Canadian. Or maybe very old. He used the word "grips."
Old Dec 14, 1998, 10:10 am
Original Member

Catman: Im aware of the arguments for as much carry-on as you can manage, but I find it hard to buy them. In forty years of travel, I've had checked baggage "lost" just once, and then it was just on the wrong carousel at the right airport, at the right time. I've had it delayed twice, and both times it was delivered to my hotel in a reasonable time. I generally travel with a briefcase and a bag that could be carried on. I check the carry-on, and I've never had an unusual delay in picking it up. The briefcase is my carry-on.
I just can't understand "delays" as an excuse for not checking bags. You can't count on the plane arriving within fifteen minutes of scheduled time, and bags are almost always off the plane within fifteen minutes after arrival. If you're scheduling meetings with less than fifteen minutes leeway, you're not being very realistic. Better would be to schedule with forty-five minutes leeway.
Old Dec 14, 1998, 10:13 am
Original Member

baobab: I don't think there's a safety issue with people putting things under their own seats. The under-seat space is theoretically safe. It's not that it's under the seat, it's under WHO'S seat. The stuff is supposed to go under the seat in front of you. If it goes under your own seat, it encroaches on the space of the passenger behind you, whose space that is. etc, etc, etc.
Old Dec 14, 1998, 11:16 pm
Original Member

Location: OMNI Award Winner, Recipient: Ol' Goal Personal Sootkase Tag Award. The Very Special Punki Authentic PiP Sootkase Tag, Pin, & T-Shirt. .........PRE-
fil feret, mebe arturo all theese. mebe knot. arturo sligh persin.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.