Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > MilesBuzz
Reload this Page >

A Poll -- how often do you fly full-fare / what perentage of your trips are full fare?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Poll -- how often do you fly full-fare / what perentage of your trips are full fare?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 1998, 10:48 am
Original Member
Original Poster

I would be interested to hear what kind of flying habits are common here -- how often you fly full fare, and what percentage of your flights are full fare? I have a feeling that the population here will be somewhat higher than average, but still curious...
Old Nov 16, 1998, 10:54 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
since having heard your president's thinking about definition I am not sure about the definition of "full fare" anymore.

Myself: 0% of the old-fashioned-full-fare, but often "full-fare-" specials (f.e. visit-usa-coupons, fixed-round-the-world-prices, etc.).

Overall: no idea.
Old Nov 16, 1998, 10:56 am
Original Member

and you yourself star1?
Old Nov 16, 1998, 11:23 am
Commander Catcop

I would say 50-50... it all depends on how
much time I have to book the reservation.
CATMAN
Old Nov 16, 1998, 11:42 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
100% Fully-Flex Full Fare [F,J,C or S] for business (which is 95% of travel), when for pleasure the most discounted fare available.
MF

Old Nov 16, 1998, 11:47 am
Original Member

when you reach my wise age you will have learned that business is (should be) pleasure (too) and .... I pay all my flight tickets directly (or indirectly when my company pays) MYSELF.
Old Nov 16, 1998, 12:17 pm
Original Member
Original Poster

On business, I fly full fare approximately every 3 weeks -- for personal travel, I don't remember ever having flown full fare.

Even for business, I sometimes wonder how much money I might be able to save the company by buying tickets in advance. Even with the occasional cancellation and no refund, I think the amount saved would be substantial...
Old Nov 16, 1998, 12:34 pm
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

Most of my trips are planned a few weeks out so my company tends to get me on reduced-fare tickets. However, I'd say that 20% of the tickets I use are full-fare.
Old Nov 16, 1998, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
The games the airlines play with fares, clssses and dates make this a very annoying topic.

A recent trip from EWR to SFO for business - leave Thursday evening, come back Saturday evening at 9pm - full fare on CO $1,800. If I stay in SFO and have dinner with friends - fly back at 1am connect through IAH - fare drops to $350.

I'll always book the cheapeast fare that works with my needs (company policy) so I'm really at the mercy of the fare structure and availability.

Dave
Old Nov 16, 1998, 1:59 pm
pgupta011

I rarely fly full fare. Even on last minute business trips I have been able to find lower fares by choosing appropriate flights and routes. Online travel software may not be very user friendly, but it does provide a lot of information to the end user. One can save a lot of money.

On a related note, I read recently in C.N. Traveler magazine that there were a couple of lawsuits pending against the airlines, one challenging airlines cracking down against "hidden city" routing, and the other one against the high price differential between refundable and non refundable tickets.

Old Nov 16, 1998, 2:56 pm
Original Member

I'm self-employed; so I pay for my own trips. I NEVER fly full fare if I can help it. I do charge clients full Y fare when they're reimbursing me, no matter how I actually travel (This even applies when I drive to Richmond, VA) but the client knows this in advance. Regardless of my business relationships, I'd never PAY full fare. If your boss does, then I'd have to say you're a very valued employee.
Old Nov 16, 1998, 4:42 pm
Original Member

my employees are offered the (weekend-rate) hotel-costs and daily expenses (plus if flying back from outside Europe one addional recove day when coming back) if they apply the "Sunday-rule-fares". Most of them do - and enjoy.

I allow all employees the same standart on journeys (flight-class, hotel, meals) as they would choose in their private life - not more - not less.
Old Nov 16, 1998, 4:52 pm
Original Member

Rudi - can I come & work for you?

I have VERY expensive tastes!
Old Nov 16, 1998, 4:54 pm
Original Member

(MF may want to join your company too...)
Old Nov 16, 1998, 5:07 pm
Original Member

Philforest - depending on your occupation & the amount of advance warning you have, full-fare tickets are sometimes unavoidable, especially when you are flying somewhere remote at the drop of a hat and you need to be completely flexible once you get there.

There is nothing worse than being stranded in some dark corner of the earth and not being able to leave because of circumstances beyond your control & an inflexible ticket... resolving such a situation is often more expensive & unpleasant than paying full fare to start with.

One of my colleagues was once stuck on the same aeroplane for over 24 hours (no, he wasn't going to Australia), & spent another 18 on the same journey. According to the original schedule, he was due to leave before he had even landed... and if his ticket hadn't been flexible he would have been stuck in Calcutta until the London office sorted it out.

When flying into developing countries it is best to keep your options open...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.