Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Get Miles without really spending and without the TC hassles

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 1999, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Get Miles without really spending and without the TC hassles

THis is less hassle that the TC mess. I have actually done this and it works.
I discovered a service called paypal at http://www.paypal.com. My sister and I do this together.
I signed up and did the verification process. I then sent her $5 to her e-mail to test how this worked. It appeared on my cc as a regular charge ( I go 5 miles). She then transferred the $5 to her bank account. We have been doing this back and forth for a few months now and I am up to doing $2000 at a time. THe only limit is that each Paypal account can only do $5000 within a 180 day period. I have only been doing it for a little over a month and I am loving this. Once she transfers the money to her account she turns aruond and sends me money so she gets miles. I then cash them in and pay the cc bill. Turnaround for each transaction so far has not caused me any finance charges.
So far I have a little over 3000 miles this way and I plan to get more. At the limit of $5000 per 180 day period I figure I can get 20,000 miles for the year without really spending $20,000.
They offer a $10 signup bonus.
I will also get $10 if you signup and let me know so I can be the first to send you a penny. If you register, please e-mail me so we both can get the $10.
Old Dec 12, 1999, 7:59 pm

That's pretty funny that they don't bill the transaction as a cash advance. I know the CTO of PayPal (friend of a friend), and these guys aren't as dumb as you might think they are. Incidentally, if you are interested in how they plan to make money:
http://www.zdnet.com/intweek/stories...394658,00.html

Also I think that eventually they will sign up merchants who will accept fund transfers from them directly, kind of like an ATM network.
Old Dec 13, 1999, 1:40 am
Kim

MEWANTMILES - How did you come up with earning 20,000 miles/year if the limit is $5K every 180 days? Sounds like the maximum you could earn is 10,000 miles/year. Am I missing something here?
Old Dec 13, 1999, 2:02 am
PG
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum
Kim - you are missing that there are two parties here, 10K times 2.
Old Dec 13, 1999, 1:28 pm

Anybody tried this for a CC that is not based on US$ ? (i.e. the transfer to credit card or the transfer from cc)

[This message has been edited by SteinerboyCA (edited 12-13-1999).]
Old Dec 13, 1999, 11:14 pm

Programs: AA 2 MM LIfetime Platinum, SPG Platinum, Hilton Silver, BA
Sounds intriging. Can you clarify how this works. Do I register both a credit card and a bank account. How are payments listed on the credit card. Are they listed by the name of the recipient so it could be identified or deducted if a business expense. Is the money received automatically transferred to an identified bank account or do you have to do that manually each time. After a few of these details, I'll be ready to sign up and get you your referral fee mewntmiles.
Thanks

------------------
DtG
Old Dec 20, 1999, 3:07 pm
BJJ

Went to the site. In reading the user agreement section, I found the following:

II. Responsibilities of Users
In order to become a User of PayPal you must register online. You must also read and agree to the terms and conditions of this agreement, including:

5. You agree not to engage in behavior that could reasonably be construed as providing yourself a cash advance from your credit card, and agree not to assist users who engage in behavior that could reasonably be construed as providing themselves a cash advance from their credit cards. Such behavior includes, but is not limited to, a User paying someone by charging a credit card, then receiving the funds back from the original Recipient and attempting to withdraw the funds from a PayPal account. Confinity reserves the right to reverse all such transactions and to terminate any accounts that are associated with such behavior.

It is apparant that they have served us notice they will be watching for this trick, and won't permit it. If we try it, we are in violation of our sign-on agreement (that is, no leg to stand on).
Old Dec 21, 1999, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

The transaction is simply listed as paypalon the credit card and is not treated as a cash advance. You register the card and tell them you want to use the CC when you need to beam money to someone or to transfer to another account. It is fast and easy.
As for the previous post about them watching out for cash advance abuses I don't see that this is a problem as I am not trying to get any cash advances

[This message has been edited by mewantmiles (edited 12-21-1999).]

[This message has been edited by mewantmiles (edited 12-21-1999).]
Old Jan 9, 2000, 10:20 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I'd actually signed up for this paypal initially at the outset/unveiling, but have not used it 'til now. I just completed the proceedure and expect an easy 5k miles and $10 bucks for the trouble of signing up!

Again you get $10 for each signup and $10 for each referral so it is a pretty decent deal. If you want to give it a try and use the referral too, great!

https://secure.paypal.com/refer/[email protected]

Signing up takes a few minutes!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 02-16-2000).]
Old Jan 9, 2000, 11:32 am

Programs: United, AA
doc .. I trust you, so I'll let you make that $10 ( for me too )
http://secure.paypal.com/refer/[email protected]

[This message has been edited by Damian (edited 01-09-2000).]
Old Jan 9, 2000, 3:07 pm
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
I find this company very interesting. The concept is simple and easy to use-- and free.

#1: I SEE NOTHING IN THE SIGN-UP ABOUT GETTING 5,000 MILES FOR USING THE SERVICE. WHERE DO THE MILES COME IN TO PLAY?

#2: HOW DO THEY MAKE MONEY?

Am I reading the article right that the only money them will make will be from the interest during the time of the transaction?

Example:

On January 10th, 2000 I zap 'Jerry' $100.
PayPal charges my credit card the $100 as a merchant purchase. They take the $100 and put in into an interest gaining account.

On January 20th, 2000 'Jerry' requests that the $100 I beamed to him be sent direct deposited to his bank account. PayPal makes the transction.

PayPal, in theory, made their money on the 10 days that the cash sat in their account gaining interest?

What about their costs to charge a credit card-- approximately 3%? What about their costs to make a direct deposit to a bank?
Old Jan 9, 2000, 3:19 pm

It's an INTERNET company, they don't have to actually make money!
Old Jan 10, 2000, 11:15 am

Programs: United 1P
JustinIncredible - I may be missing something, but I think the miles comes in when your credit card (of course, it's a frequent flier card, isn't it ?) gives you the miles for a purchase.
Old Jan 10, 2000, 11:17 am
Original Member

Programs: Standard Memberships in all the majors hotel, airlines and Amtrak.
wombat--

I believe you are right. You can only 'beam' or e-mail money up to the amount of $5000 in 180 time frame.

So, 5k miles every 6 months-- 10k miles every year which is mentioned in the original post.

Old Feb 11, 2000, 11:23 pm

Programs: AA PLT, AS 75K, DL DM, HY Globalist, HH Diamond, MC/RZ/SW Platinum, AB/UA Silver, WN CP
Originally posted by usoftie:
I know the CTO of PayPal (friend of a friend), and these guys aren't as dumb as you might think they are.
usoftie: I'm wondering if you can provide some assistance. I would've emailed this query to you, but you don't have an email address on file. I have a friend who beamed me money over two weeks ago, and the transaction is still listed as "pending," despite the fact that her CC was charged immediately. We've both sent money to other people before without problems, but neither of us can get this resolved. We've both been emailing PayPal to death, and she's even left them voicemail (no live people to answer the phone). Thus far, nada...not even an automated response.

Under the PayPal TOS, if you charge back an amount to them, it will be refused and you'll also be billed any associated chargeback fees. At this point she doesn't care about PayPal closing her account as a result of a CC dispute (since she'll never use them again), but she would like the money to either go to me as intended or be returned to her. Seems pretty reasonable!

Since you're in the know, do you have any other suggestions on how to resolve this...would you be willing to pass my email address on to your friend-of-a-friend, for example? Feel free to contact me directly to discuss this further. Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.