Search

Too many anal individuals here...

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2002, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Too many anal individuals here...

This post belongs here. This post belongs there. This post doesn't belong anywhere.

GET A LIFE!
Old Mar 2, 2002, 9:52 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Oh no, it definitely belongs at the
Poetry Contest but probably not here since it has nothing to do with "the latest FF program buzz." Thanks for letting me clarify for you, and good luck with your contest entry.

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 03-02-2002).]
Old Mar 2, 2002, 10:32 am

Location: SAN Diego (Hillcrest); formerly LEXington, KY; still like the nym
Programs: DL Platinum; Marriott Lifetime Platinum; married to Hilton Elite
If Mikey joins the MCI-Delta program, and repeats this on the phone to me, he will earn miles.

We should also alert the Booker Prize committee. Mikey's novel is a little short, but I think it qualifies as well as several of their recent nominees.

Old Mar 2, 2002, 10:33 am
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
............................???????
Old Mar 2, 2002, 11:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler (lite). NY Metro area.
mikey,

What's your point?
I don't know why you feel you have to post something that will be perceived as inflamatory.

Old Mar 2, 2002, 11:23 am
Suspended

mikey1003: i wholeheartedly agree.

[This message has been edited by fly co to see the yanks (edited 03-02-2002).]
Old Mar 2, 2002, 11:41 am
Suspended

Programs: Ephesians 4:31-32
I think that mikey is expressing the frustration that has recently been felt by many, if not all on FT. What I hear (that is not said) in his post is:

"I really like Flyer Talk and want it to be a natural, enjoyable place where I can exchange ideas with my traveling friends. Lately, it feels like the Gestapo is in charge and that is taking all the fun out of it."

Sorry mikey don't mean to put words in your mouth (fingers), but that is how I am feeling and your post struck an empathetic cord.

Most of my favorite posts (where I made by best FT friends) were funny, silly things (almost always in the wrong place and having little to do with the original title) which just naturally grew from the joy and enthusiasm of the participants. It is this wonder of making friends and freely sharing ideas that has made FT the fabulous place that it became.

Now FT has the feel that it is being engineered in such a way that all fun and spontaneity have been eliminated--it MUST become neat and orderly, like a model home. The only place where people are allowed to have any fun anymore is TAROM and look at how popular it has become.

I am not judging this decision and if that is the way that the powers that be wish FT to go, so be it. It makes me sad that the wonderful, messy and lived-in rooms in my joyous cyber home are collapsing before my eyes.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 03-02-2002).]
Old Mar 2, 2002, 11:47 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
I don't agree at all.

Most posts that are moved 'to the right/better place are initial posts (and not what later on 'devellopped').

I am not aware of (initial or later on) fun-posts that have been recently moved by any moderator.

It is the flamewars and the 'I must have the last world posters in these flame-wars' that bother me.

And, if any of my children would use that word that is in the title of this thread, they would really face (even on his birthday) an angry father.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:01 pm
Suspended

In English, Rudi there are two meanings of the word "anal". I do believe that mikey is referencing this definition from Merriam Webster:

Main Entry: anal
Function: abbreviation
analogy, analysis, analytic

This is a very common usage referring to anyone who is overly analytical or too uptight about details that really don't matter in the grand scope of things.

Do you become an angry older brother if your adoring sister disagrees with you on your birthday/anniversary?
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AS, UA, HY, Hil, Merr
There are away those who believe themselves too "important" to comply.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:30 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Rudi:
I don't agree at all... It is the flamewars and the 'I must have the last world posters in these flame-wars' that bother me. </font>
Rudi , at the risk of coming under your second sentence, I agree

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
..I am not judging this decision and if that is the way that the powers that be wish FT to go, so be it. It makes me sad that the wonderful, messy and lived-in rooms in my joyous cyber home are collapsing before my eyes </font>
Punki, I understand your point. Here is my take: In the last week or so, the existence, ambience, and ethos of FT has been mightily threatened by seemingly intractable flame exchanges. And Randy and Co. decided to take strong action in order to keep FT something like the place it has been for so many of us. He has strongly stated that, at least for a time, "mis-posted" posts will be closed and moved. For those of us who have watched the flame-wars with dismay, I am simply trying to be of assistance to Randy and help carry out the decision he has regrettably felt the need to make. I think implicit in the actions he has taken is the request that long-standing members of this community do those things that will help return civility and order (and whether it's too much "order" I hope you and I can disagree on right now).

I also, along, with lots of others, think alot of the "mis-posting" controversies could be eliminated with a return of the "General Travel Talk" forum, in which so many recent posts would have fit nicely.

And, finally, a personal note: I have probably been "snippier" about all of this in the last few days due to the fact that yesterday I helped officiate at the funeral of a 22 year old who, along with 2 of his friends, was killed in a drunk driving accident (wherein another friend was the driver). One should never have to help one's friends bury their children. But my sadness and anger at all of that is no reason to displace my feelings onto FT, and if indeed that has added to the curtness of any of my postings of late, I do apologize; I know better.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 12:37 pm
Suspended

cblaisd, writes:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">I also, along, with lots of others, think alot of the "mis-posting" controversies could be eliminated with a return of the "General Travel Talk" forum, in which so many recent posts would have fit nicely.</font>
Yes, I agree, but in order to work, it will have to be positioned on this main page. Popping over to Travel is too cumbersome to flow smoothly. Maybe they could just move the "Misposted Threads" to the top of this page and let people post away.

IMHO, however, the real answer to the Flame Wars is not the moving of threads but timely, consistent, even-handed and very respectful (emphasis on respectful) moderation of all boards at all times. On other boards where I participate, it is common practice to first encourage the poster to edit his/her own post, prior to outside editing. This encourages serious evaluation of one's post and responsible, mature behavior.

On a personal note, I am deeply saddened to hear of your and your friends' loss. We too have recently experienced the loss of a young friend to a drunk driving accident and it is the worst to see a young life wiped out in an instant of poor judgment. Our friend knew he was too drunk to drive, but sadly gave his keys to another drunk friend. It was a tragedy for our whole community.

[This message has been edited by Punki (edited 03-02-2002).]
Old Mar 2, 2002, 1:07 pm

A Closed thread - no new replies accepted.
Old Mar 2, 2002, 1:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Punki:
Yes, I agree, but in order to work, it will have to be positioned on this main page.... </font>
Exactly. Just like it used to be, iirc.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> IMHO, however, the real answer to the Flame Wars is not the moving of threads but timely, consistent, even-handed and very respectful (emphasis on respectful) moderation of all boards at all times...
</font>
Again, we agree here. But for the moment, Randy has decided on another tack and I want to support him in hopes that the civility level -- that you so nicely describe indeed -- will return and that consistent moderation when needed and good self-moderation always will become the norm.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2"> On a personal note, I am deeply saddened to hear of your and your friends' loss. We too have recently experienced the loss of a young friend to a drunk driving accident and it is the worst to see a young life wiped out in an instant of poor judgment. Our friend knew he was too drunk to drive, but sadly gave his keys to another drunk friend. It was a tragedy for our whole community.
</font>
Thank you, Punki; the circumstances sound sadly similar. My sympathies for your loss as well.

(edited for code error)

[This message has been edited by cblaisd (edited 03-02-2002).]
Old Mar 2, 2002, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: WorldPerks Demoted again to SE, DL 3.1MM Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Yes, Punki is correct. I did post this original message out of frustration. It definately was not the start of a flame war. If you search my posts on this board you will find that that is not and never has been my intention.

In general, I am strictly against moderators and censorship. So what if a post is not in the right place? If we don't like it we will not respond and the thread will close itself.

I spend most of my time at the Delta and tnhe Hilton Forums. Both are UNMODERATED. At the Delta Forum we have repetedly discussed and repeatedly rejected moderators. Yes garbage gets posted and yes some is discussed and some is ignored. We do not sit up all night analyzing the threads to decide whether to leave them, move them or close them...thus anal = analytical.

The ONLY place a moderator is needed is when attacks are made against a member or a group. OR, when damaging remarks are made. OR when foul language is used (although FT does well here as when the Russian skater ****skya was mentioned )

Possibly the only other place we need moderators is to prevent commercial postings.

Again, if WE want to post something and if WE want to discuss it..the thread moves on. If WE want to ignore it...the thread dies.

We are all adults and we can monitor ourselves very well thank yo.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.