Wiki Posts
Search

Impact on Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2001, 2:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA/1K, DL/PM, AA/PLT, NW/SLV; SW/PLT, HH/DIA
Impact on Hawaii

Has anyone considered the impact the new FAA regs will have on service to/from Hawaii?

Airlines are no longer allowed to carry cargo/freight on passenger flights. If I remember correctly, the only way the airlines have been able to cost-justify the HI flights is because of the cargo they hauled.

Also, what is the impact going to be on Hawaii if they lose the cargo service to the mainland?

Will Hawaiian and Aloha be able to survive?
Old Sep 16, 2001, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Hawaiian was given special approval from the FAA to carry cargo and mail.
info at http://www.hawaiianair.com/
Old Sep 16, 2001, 3:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by 2 Many Miles:
[B]Has anyone considered the impact the new FAA regs will have on service to/from Hawaii?

Airlines are no longer allowed to carry cargo/freight on passenger flights. [B]</font>
This will not last. The only way most of the airlines make money is my carrying cargo and mail. This is not just an Hawaii issue.

[This message has been edited by egarrett (edited 09-16-2001).]
Old Sep 16, 2001, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I'm sure once new security measures are approved for the cargo / airfreight system, this will be lifted. It has to be, because without cargo, the entire industry will collapse financially, not just the AK/HI routes.
Old Sep 17, 2001, 3:06 am

Both Aloha and Hawaiian have a similar waiver. It's only for certain items from approved shippers.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.