Wiki Posts
Search

Star Alliance / Air New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 1998, 1:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Star Alliance / Air New Zealand

United has been suggesting for some time that Air New Zealand will join Star Alliance in the near future. Does anyone know a rough date for this -- early next year? later?
Old Nov 3, 1998, 3:29 am
Suspended

for sure before ANA - and ANA is scheduled for sep-1-99.

I guess/hope very early in 99 (if I would have to bet, than I would say may-1-99, in may is the StarAlliance-birthday).

I can't wait to include Ansett, Air New Zealand and ANA in my "round-the-world"-plannings.
Old Nov 3, 1998, 10:04 pm

Programs: AAExecPlat MM, DL MM, HH Platinum
I think both Air New Zealand and Ansett will be full members on Jan. 1. Does this mean that the miles flown on them after that date will count towards qualifying for Premiere status? They don't right now, sigh.
Old Nov 4, 1998, 1:15 am
Suspended

once they become member of StarAlliance, their miles will count as StatusMiles.
Old Nov 4, 1998, 4:27 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
I thought I would share with you the contents of a letter I got from South African Airways at the weekend, regarding partnerships & alliances:

"Up to now our partnerships and alliances have been a case of cherry-picking, we have an excellent realationship with British Midland... However, with Lufthansa we clearly have a foot in the Star Alliance camp, and with American we're keeping close to any BA/AA developments. At this stage, anything could happen."

Tony Farmer,
Sales & Marketing Manager, SAA.

So now we know!!
MF

PS: RIP BA/AA... Alas you were not to be:-(

Old Nov 4, 1998, 1:16 pm
Original Member

MF - I heard murmurs earlier this year that SAA were a possible target for a takeover bid ... I'm not certain if anything came of this - or whether any of the western airlines were sufficiently interested to pursue the issue.

Late last year, because of the Springboks tour, all the BA flights out of Jo'burg were full, and I ended up flying back to London in SAA economy. (I didn't get a chance to sample SAA business, which I hope was better, because by the time I tried to make a reservation the front of the plane had been sold out to well-heeled rugby fans)

The check-in agent put me in the smoking section without even asking my preference (I'm a NON-SMOKER!!), where I was seated next to a group of very drunk, very excited rugby fans from the Orange Free State who were all chain smokers. After several complaints to the flight attendants I was finally moved next to a mother with a 3-month old baby. The aeroplane was shabby, the food was mediocre at best, and the service ranged from slow to absent. Needless to say I'm not in a rush to sample SAA's service again.

If SAA want to be accepted as part of a major international airline alliance they are going to have to improve their standards enormously.
Old Nov 5, 1998, 2:09 am
Original Member

Location: London,UK. Ok, about 100 miles from London really, but how many Americans know where Market Harborough is?
SAA are due to be privatised next year, and the Government is looking for a new owner.

Knowing my luck BA will buy a stake! I agree their service needs a serious over-haul.

Ten years ago, I was impressed with SAA but they have fallen well behind recently. They have new 747-400's on order - maybe that will make a difference.
MF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.