Which Award Tickets Earn Mileage?

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2002, 6:46 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Which Award Tickets Earn Mileage?

On which airlines do you earn mileage (status or bonus miles) for Award tickets? On Delta, I know you definitely don't.
Old May 8, 2002, 6:52 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
I know of no airline that offers miles on their award tickets.

However, I do believe Hilton's airline awards earn full status miles on the airline being flown.

William
Old May 8, 2002, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GUWonder:
On which airlines do you earn mileage (status or bonus miles) for Award tickets? On Delta, I know you definitely don't.</font>
None that I know of, at least willingly. Long time ago, AA had a lousy mileage tracking system, and I got miles for flights taken on award travel. Happened a number of times until the technology caught up with ganefs like myself.
Old May 8, 2002, 6:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by wharvey:
I know of no airline that offers miles on their award tickets.

However, I do believe Hilton's airline awards earn full status miles on the airline being flown.

William
</font>
I have claimed an award twice for myself (one on one carrier, and one on another). I got miles on one carrier, and Delta did not grant miles as I expected.
Old May 8, 2002, 6:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Pickles:
None that I know of, at least willingly. Long time ago, AA had a lousy mileage tracking system, and I got miles for flights taken on award travel. Happened a number of times until the technology caught up with ganefs like myself. </font>
When was a "long time ago"?
Old May 8, 2002, 7:03 pm
LLM
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several years ago I would frequently get credit for NW award tix. Thought those days were over until I gave Dad a NW/KLM award ticket from SAN to PRG this January and he got credit for the AMS-PRG leg.
Old May 8, 2002, 8:09 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Ambassador, Hertz Platinum
There are a few "airline miles" credit cards that are not affiliated with any airline. They accumulate "miles" in their own account, and then the bank purchases a regular ticket on your behalf (on any airline) when you redeem an award. Since these tickets are revenue tickets as far as the airline is concerned, you get miles for the flight.
Old May 8, 2002, 8:13 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
A long time ago (about 14.5 years ago) I flew CO to Sydney from LA on an award ticket. Got credit for the return flight.
Old May 8, 2002, 8:17 pm
anr

My wife and I flew on an award on NW last year. At the last minute we had to change our return trip to the next day. Evidently the class that my wife was rebooked on was not a frequent flyer and so she ended up getting miles for the trip home. I however did not get any miles. Neither one of us should have gotten any miles though, so it was a nice little gift of about 2k.
Old May 8, 2002, 9:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Some airline res systems will record an award flight for mileage credit if last minute changes are made, such as involuntary rerouting, standing by for earlier flights, etc. This does not occur frequently, but has been known to on occasion. Otherwise, the class of service code award seats are assigned are programmed into res systems to be invalid for mileage credit.

Some hotel chains do provide airlines tickets that come from a special category of negotiated bulk rate tickets, a variant of consolidator tickets. Often these can receive mileage credits because they are booked in a class that qualifies.

Old May 8, 2002, 9:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Some airline res systems will record an award flight for mileage credit if last minute changes are made, such as involuntary rerouting, standing by for earlier flights, etc. This does not occur frequently, but has been known to on occasion. Otherwise, the class of service code award seats are assigned are programmed into res systems to be invalid for mileage credit.

Some hotel chains do provide airlines tickets that come from a special category of negotiated bulk rate tickets, a variant of consolidator tickets. Often these can receive mileage credits because they are booked in a class that qualifies.

</font>
I guess last minute changes can be a good thing.
Old May 8, 2002, 9:35 pm

Alaska has a 15000 mile award that gives 50% off a ticket and allows mileage to be earned and also allows upgrades.
Old May 8, 2002, 9:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Shareholder:
Some airline res systems will record an award flight for mileage credit if last minute changes are made, such as involuntary rerouting, standing by for earlier flights, etc. This does not occur frequently, but has been known to on occasion. Otherwise, the class of service code award seats are assigned are programmed into res systems to be invalid for mileage credit.</font>
It depends on how you are reticketed. It can be easier to put a reticketed passenger in an ordinary revenue seat, since that's the normal case and therefore the one that systems are generally designed to handle fastest. If there's a line of people waiting (not unusual in situations where reticketing is necessary) the agent may not want to go to the extra trouble of rebooking the seat as an award.

A similar situation can occur when upgraded economy is reticketed. You shouldn't get a class of service bonus, but you will sometimes be reticketed as paid F or J and get it.
Old May 8, 2002, 10:30 pm

Programs: FL, AA, DL
Some airline res systems will record an award flight for mileage credit if last minute changes are made, such as involuntary rerouting, standing by for earlier flights, etc. This does not occur frequently, but has been known to on occasion. Otherwise, the class of service code award seats are assigned are programmed into res systems to be invalid for mileage credit.</font>
Happened to me on a DL BE award ticket. Got rerouted the day before so I was leaving out of JFK and not ATL as originally ticketted. Got mileage credit for a fully ticketed F/BE ticket from my originating airport on into Europe.
Old May 9, 2002, 12:38 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
my favorite al doesn't want to put the number in the pnr. i ask, but they don't seem to want to. in the past, sometimes things would happen in ones favor creating a moral crisis. so no free mi's lately. the mistakes would occur when changes were made.

i always hated the mistakes made in my favor. the agonizing over the cost to correct it, it seems that my resolution was to not ask the al to waste money to correct the mistake.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.