Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's up with Mileage Workshop?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2003, 8:28 am
Original Poster

What's up with Mileage Workshop?

Since I became aware of Flyertalk.com I have found many sources to get miles other than flying. I check Mileageworkshop.com frequently. I have noticed that it hasn't been updated since July 14. How come? Are they on vacation or aren't there any free mileage offers out there right now? Just wondering.

Thanks

Jon
Old Aug 19, 2003, 9:25 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
David (Mileage Addict, together with wife Jamie and 5-years old son Logan did visit me at Wengen last week (see his side-car post here ) and now continue their vacation in Arles (Southern France).
Old Feb 7, 2004, 9:04 am

For several months, the last update showing was in August. Now, it doesn't even come up with a web page. Is it gone? If so, it will be a sorely missed service!

JP
Old Feb 7, 2004, 10:04 am
Original Member, Moderator: Hotel Deals and MilesBuzz

I pulled the plug on Mileage Workshop on January 31st. After six years, I no longer have the time to keep it fresh and up to date. A few other devoted Flyertalkers have similar websites up and running that should fill the void left by me shutting down the website.

Before 9/11, Mileage Workshop had over 600,000 visitors a month. Over the last two years, the traffic has been steadily decreasing and had only 35,000 visitors in December 03.

I used to earn a boatload of miles from referral links which have dried up over the last few years as many of the online point schemes have gone bust.

Lastly, the website used to earn me a modest secondary income from banner ads. Yes, people really do click on those things! In the last few months, the income generated from the ads barely covered my time and the expenses of running the website.

If anyone wants to carry on the Mileage Workshop name, I will transfer the domain name to you for a very modest fee. Email if you are interested. The domain name is well entrenched with the search engines and has been mentioned in hundreds of newspapers and magazine articles over the past six years.

[This message has been edited by MileageAddict (edited Feb 07, 2004).]
Old Feb 7, 2004, 11:33 am

Programs: 1MM UA
Mileageaddict,
A Big THANK YOU for running it when you did.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:09 pm

Location: Midwest United States (and anywhere a cheap fare takes me)
Programs: Marriott (Gold), Hilton (Gold), SWA (CP), Hertz (5*), UA (Nobody), AA (Lifetime Gold)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MileageAddict:
I pulled the plug on Mileage Workshop on January 31st. After six years, I no longer have the time to keep it fresh and up to date. </font>
Here's another "Thank You". I found your site before FT or any of the others. I've missed the updates over the last few months.
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA 1P
Hello MileageAddict:

I would like to take up your offer. How can I comunicate with you ??

I may be interested in jumpstarting the site.

Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:30 pm
jfe
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kicked out of all of them
Thanks MileageAddict, I always enjoyed your site.

Sorry to see it go away
Old Feb 7, 2004, 12:51 pm

Click on the little Rolodex icon for additional contact info.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by luvagator:
Hello MileageAddict:

I would like to take up your offer. How can I comunicate with you ??

I may be interested in jumpstarting the site.

</font>

------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Feb 8, 2004, 4:33 am

Programs: AA PLAT, HILTON DIAMOND, MARRIOTT LIFETIME TITANIUM
Great website, I will miss it.
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:10 am
Original Member

well, maybe pgary would be interested, one would think, since his site covers a lot of the same stuff.

Dave, you did a great job and a great service all these years.

Djlawman
Old Feb 8, 2004, 8:16 am

Let me add my thanks as well! My free RTW later this year would have been more difficult without your site!

JP
Old Feb 8, 2004, 10:13 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum; Hyatt Gold; Starwood Gold; UAL Premier; Delta Silver
Life just won't be the same without it! Many mahalo's for all the good work...
Old Feb 9, 2004, 3:44 am

Many thanks to all of you for the kind words! A number of individuals and groups have contacted me with an interest in continuing to operate the Mileage Workshop website. Hopefully, it should be back "on the air" very soon.

------------------
"You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer." - Frank Zappa (1940-93)
Old Feb 9, 2004, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

------------------
Try and make it down to SYD for "OZ FEST 2004" - May 21-23

~ Glen ~ sipping bubbly from UA 747-400 exit row 15A near you SOON!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.