Wiki Posts
Search

Peanut Allergies vs. Eating Peanuts on Flights

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2003, 8:19 am
Original Member
Original Poster

Peanut Allergies vs. Eating Peanuts on Flights

Well, this did not happen to me, but a fellow consultant realted something that happened to him on a flight last month.

Being like me, a true fan of peanuts, and being as how you just about can't get them any more on the plane, he, like me, brings his own to eat in flight.

Upon opening his first pack, the pax next to him like almost panics nd says "You can't open those! I am violently allergic to peanuts!!"

So, being a nice guy, he puts them back into his pocket.

My question is, are those with peanut allergies that sensitive to them? I mean, not allergic to consuming them, but just to the, I don't know, peanut dust in the air?

I think he did the right thing, but I do wonder, what's the real skinny here? Is this a truly real health hazard to those with allergies to peanuts and other nuts?

Is this new thing that has just popped up like the monkey pox? That is, all through grade school, Jr. high, and high school, the school cafeterias regularly had peanut butter and jelley sandwiches, etc., and no one ever died through al those years of a peanut allergy. It wasn't even mentioned...it was never, not once an issue.

I am not trying to start anything here, I am merely asking for clarification, is this really a serious health issue?
Old Jun 29, 2003, 8:33 am

Programs: Over-entitled UA 1.3MM Gold, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott L-T Plat, Hertz PC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by hnechets:
My question is, are those with peanut allergies that sensitive to them? I mean, not allergic to consuming them, but just to the, I don't know, peanut dust in the air?

I think he did the right thing, but I do wonder, what's the real skinny here? Is this a truly real health hazard to those with allergies to peanuts and other nuts?
</font>
The degree of sensitivity to exposure can be amazing = fatal (if not treated ASAP).

A lot of processed foods/candies today indicate that, while there are no peanuts in the product, the factory does have peanuts in other areas of the facility.

A friend of mine once showed my how allergic he is. He touched a peanut with the tip of his index finger. He immediately washed his hand/finger with hot/soapy water. Fifteen minutes later half of his index finger was still bright red. Imagine if that happened to your respiratory system.

Yes, extremely sensitive.
Old Jun 29, 2003, 8:37 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
appearently it can be very serious & can kill people, just as shrimp,crab,& lobster to which i am allergic. fortunately only mildly, but i quit them all a long time ago.

in a mystery that i read recently, a guy was offed by a cocktail that had ground peanuts in it. the perp obviously knew of the allergy. must be true!
Old Jun 29, 2003, 8:50 am
Original Member
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Billiken:

A friend of mine once showed my how allergic he is. He touched a peanut with the tip of his index finger. He immediately washed his hand/finger with hot/soapy water. Fifteen minutes later half of his index finger was still bright red. Imagine if that happened to your respiratory system.

Yes, extremely sensitive.
</font>
Wow. That is really scary.

Old Jun 29, 2003, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AMC MovieWatcher, Giant BonusCard, Petco PALS Card, Silver Diner Blue Plate Club
Scary? Yes.

Miles and Points? No.

I'll move this over to TravelBuzz. Please continue the discussion there.

Regards,
Gary
aka gleff
MilesBuzz and Delta moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.