Search

Help - Hotel Deal In RIO for NYE?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2000, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Help - Hotel Deal In RIO for NYE?

I plan to spend NYE in RIO. I know several on line places to locate deals for Hotels in the USA, and Europe, but have not seen one for RIO. (Also need a couple nights in Santiago Chile and 1 or 2 in Buenos Aires probably) Does anyone know where to start looking? The Hilton does not have a property at all there, (strangely) otherwise I'd love to burn some points! I do not believe Sheraton/Starwood does either which is also strange - darn nuisance as I have a few of those UA 50% off certs for there.

The UA 50% off certs are also good for Crowne Plaza, Holiday Inn, Hyatt, Intercont, Libertel, Radisson, Shangri La, Sol Melia. Some of those chains MUST be down there - anyone know who?

Any help appreciated. Anyone with points that can be used there for Hotels (Latin Pass maybe?) please lets know, as we may be able to do a trade of some kind.

------------------
~ Glen ~

[This message has been edited by ozstamps (edited 12-02-2000).]
Old Dec 2, 2000, 7:16 am
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
(very nice, luxury-) Sheraton is the only hotel in Rio with direct beach access (no streets between hotel and beach) - but it is a 10 minutes (free hotel-) bus drive away from Copacabana, between Copacabana and Ipanema beach.
Old Dec 2, 2000, 8:33 am
Suspended

Glen - THese might have some info. I've always stayed at the Ipanema Inn. Cheap, small rooms close to the beach. Probably not what you're looking for for NYE though.
http://www.ipanema.com/rio/hotels/e/home.htm#top
http://www.brazilinfo.com/hotels/bra..._detailsen.htm
http://www.solmelia.es/

Have a caiparinha for me.

Tchau
Dick
Old Dec 2, 2000, 5:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks Rudi. I thought I'd read somewhere the Sheraton was not down their either. Wow, the little colour photo in the Sheraton handbook I dug out really looks swish .. RIGHT on the beach! (I signed up for Diners Club too to use that free "Limo Service"!)

drtravels. Thanks for the links. I have not asked a price quote yet, but my bones shuddered to read this statement on the first link you provided:

Carnival and New Year's Eve are Rio's two highest season events. Hotels offer their rooms in prepayable packages including a number of mandatory nights. Sometimes dates are fixed. We suggest booking as possible, as the best values go very fast.

I get the feeling rack rates plus some is going to be the order of the day for NYE. Darn, as I want 3 or 4 days there probably. Great link tho, and I'll look into it. I guess at that time there will be no accepting 50% off type coupons.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Dec 2, 2000, 6:42 pm
ABW

Programs: AC SE 3MM, Bonvoy LTE, Accor Diamond, Amex Centurion
Intercontinental has a property in RIO - approx. 20 by car from Copacabana. Le Meridian has a property on Copacabana, the rates are reasonable, however, the rooms are dated.
Old Dec 2, 2000, 7:24 pm
Suspended

Glen - Brasil is great but you'll pay the premium Christmas, NYE, Carnaval, MaceioFest, Carnatal, etc. It can be worth it though. Has been for me
Old Dec 2, 2000, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
I'm going to Rio for New Years too.

As I have a free place to stay I'm lucky this time.

Expect to pay "the price" for Reveillon accomodations........as some places will try for 2-3 times the rack rate.

You should have seen it last year !!!
Old Dec 5, 2000, 3:40 pm

Originally posted by ozstamps:
Thanks Rudi. I thought I'd read somewhere the Sheraton was not down their either. Wow, the little colour photo in the Sheraton handbook I dug out really looks swish .. RIGHT on the beach! (I signed up for Diners Club too to use that free "Limo Service"!)

drtravels. Thanks for the links. I have not asked a price quote yet, but my bones shuddered to read this statement on the first link you provided:

Carnival and New Year's Eve are Rio's two highest season events. Hotels offer their rooms in prepayable packages including a number of mandatory nights. Sometimes dates are fixed. We suggest booking as possible, as the best values go very fast.

I get the feeling rack rates plus some is going to be the order of the day for NYE. Darn, as I want 3 or 4 days there probably. Great link tho, and I'll look into it. I guess at that time there will be no accepting 50% off type coupons.
Glen:

I'll restate (I posted something about it several months ago on the Starwood board) my position regarding the Rio Sheraton:

It's a nice hotel, the location is so so. The massage is excellent.

BUT no one should kid themselves about the "we're the only hotel in Rio on the beach" propaganda. Factually, it's correct. They are on the "beach" if your definition of "beach" is "where the water hits land". However, if your idea of "beach" is somewhere where you can put a towel on some sand and lay in the sun then FORGETABOUTIT.

Old Dec 5, 2000, 8:22 pm
Suspended

Yes! And the girls in Ipanema, well

Glen, go North - although a hard thing for you Aussies to do . Magnificent beaches, safe, friendly, cheap (you can use your Sol Melia in Maceio for a real 50% off) and if you think the girls in Rio look good, just wait.

Have fun you lucky guy.

Dick
Old Dec 6, 2000, 8:26 am

I believe the Sheraton has a three day minimum requirement during that time period to book a reservation. Also my favorite Restaurant in the world is in Rio, You must go there Called BARA GRILL. They will pick you up and return you for free from most hotels in RIO. About $20 USD For all you can eat. Just the best! I actually redeemed from my ONEPASS account one of those half off awards just to go to RIO to eat at this restaurant last month.
Old Dec 6, 2000, 8:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Thanks for the info folks, and I will certainly pencil in that restaurant.

Just phoned the Sheraton direct, and the BEST deal for basic room type, even for a Gold Sheraton Club member is 3 nights (as sydneyjb said) minimum stay and that costs $US1080 Plus 15% tax = $US1242.
My 33,000 mile round trip ticket on UA from SYD to Rio and back was about $US1000 in comparison. Yikes.

Buenoes Aires for NYE is looking a LOT more interesting all of a sudden!

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Dec 7, 2000, 9:18 am

????????????????????
Old Dec 7, 2000, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
I considered New Years in Rio this year and as of over a month ago, I could barely find any rooms at any price. So I'll be in Amsterdam instead. Maybe room availability was reserved for extended stays and as things get closer and rooms aren't booked. things will come down.
Old Dec 7, 2000, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Eastbay. I must say that the rates are not all as bad as the Sheraton. I used that very useful link above posted by drtravels, and they emailed me back with a vast range of hotels, descriptions, and prices for the NYE period. Darn handy link, and thanks for that drtravels. Think I'll still go for NYE in Rio, but just not at the Sheraton.

------------------
~ Glen ~
Old Dec 7, 2000, 9:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: UAL Premex
In Copacabana you should try the Grande Hotel Canada on Avenide N.S. de Copacabana. 40 USD gets you a good Carioca breakfast and a Holiday Inn style room. I've stayed there 3 times now.

I don't know what they want for NYE though. The expensive places are the beachfront spots because of the fireworks at midnight. This place is one block back from the beach.

[This message has been edited by Carioca Canuck (edited 12-07-2000).]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.