FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's awfully nice in Nice, BA SIN-LHR-NCE in Y+ and C
Old Feb 19, 2017, 12:50 am
SQTraveller

Restaurants in Nice

VIEW THE TRIP REPORT HERE AS WELL
And if you enjoy reading it, please subscribe to my blog by selecting the follow button on the top right hand side. Thanks!!

Previous components to this trip:
JetQuay CIP Terminal
BA16 (A380) in Y+ Singapore – London (SIN-LHR)
Restaurant Review: Zedel
BA342 (A320) in C London – Nice (LHR-NCE)
Apartment Massena from Booking.com

During my recent trip to Vancouver, I wrote restaurant reviews in one post. I intend to do something very similar here so hopefully you will find the summaries more useful than me writing individual postings on each restaurant.

I think broadly my experience of food in Nice was a good one. The normal way of doing things, I just wander around during the day. If there is a restaurant that looks interesting, I will look it up on TripAdvisor. If it has a 4* review, it generally go on my list of restaurants that I’m happy to go to.

A big note is that most restaurants did not take bookings. Initially I thought it was annoying because I needed a place to eat for New Year and didn’t want to end up with no where to eat. However, I needed have worried.

If you go early (i.e. 6pm) there was never any problem finding a table. Or if you are willing to wait, it is often not bad. There are also plenty of restaurants in Nice so don’t worry about not having anywhere to eat.

Asia Express

IMG_0502 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

What I’m not going to do is pretend that this is five star dining. Far from it. Cheap and cheerful. And it was open when I wanted to eat.

IMG_0510 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

IMG_0504 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

La Favola

This was my final meal in Nice. And it comes highly recommended.

IMG_1339 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

When we arrived it was empty. I think I arrived at 6pm, but very shortly it started to fill up.

IMG_1344 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Various anti pasti ready for serving

IMG_1342 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Spaghetti aux Fruits de Mer (Seafood spaghetti )

IMG_1354 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Pizza Capricciosa

IMG_1352 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

As we were leaving the cooks were just getting into the swing of things.

IMG_1362 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This is definitely on my return list, when I come back to Nice.

La Pizza Cresci

IMG_0723 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The restaurant was very empty, when I first walked by. My general rule is that the busier the restaurant, the better it must be. However, I tend to eat early – around 6-6.30pm and most locals tend to eat later (or maybe most people eat later!).

It is quite a big restaurant so it’s likely that there will be seats. And this is a pizzeria so the turnover is quite fast.

IMG_0722 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The pizzas are actually served in halves not wholes. But the halves were sufficient enough for our party.

IMG_0719 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Another place I would definitely return to.

Le Choucas

IMG_0552 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This had a small entrance on the street front, but there was a nice area downstairs.

As with most restaurants in Nice, it was empty when I first arrived. However,when I left, the whole restaurant was full and there were several groups waiting to leave.

The first course was a seafood soup course. Served with a side of bread, grated cheese and some garlic mayonnaise.

It really doesn’t look that appealing I must confess. I really thought I had made a mistake, but wow it was absolutely delicious. I would only say that it is really really rich so if you don’t have a huge appetite, this may wipe you out for the rest of your meal.

IMG_0564 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Not 100% certain what this was!

IMG_0572 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Nice steak!

IMG_0569 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Side of fries and vegetables. This was a bit of a disappointment. The chips were a bit soggy.

IMG_0568 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

La creme brulee!!!!! Need I say any more?!

IMG_0582 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Restaurant Asiatique Volonte

IMG_0702 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr
One day, on the way back from the station we saw this restaurant which had just opened for lunch so popped in. And it was a good decision.

For lunch it was only about €14.

IMG_0701 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

IMG_0703 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

It was a normal buffet in many respects, but for the grill. You can select a whole series of raw foods and they will then grill it for you.

IMG_0700 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Grilling all my seafood!!

IMG_0698 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

They all have a option to fry the food. But it’s not really that great. They added too much water so it didn’t end up tasting particularly good.

IMG_0695 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

They had a good mixture of Chinese and Vietnamese cuisine.

IMG_0692 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

There was some sushi, but I wouldn’t really describe this as Japanese as such.

IMG_0690 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

There was a huge cold seafood section.

IMG_0694 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

IMG_1165 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Deserts!!!!!!

IMG_0686 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Ice cream!!!!!

IMG_0687 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

VIP’s Grill

This was New Year’s Eve dinner. Again, even going in at 7pm the place was almost empty.

IMG_1105 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

I think there were two tables occupied when we arrived.

IMG_1109 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The only time I managed to have the traditional French dish of snails in garlic butter. Shame. I like this dish a lot!

IMG_1129 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Pate with toast

IMG_1123 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Cold shrimp salad

IMG_1125 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

If you don’t deal with bones very well, this is not a good one for you. Even if you are able to remove the meat carefully, you will end up with bones.

IMG_1136 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This chicken dish was probably the best value of the dishes we had.

IMG_1135 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

This was probably the most disappointing dish. The piece of fish was sooo small!!!!

IMG_1132 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Creme brulee. It wasn’t a patch on Le Choucas

IMG_1146 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

I’m sorry to disappoint all of you but yes, I also ate at McDonald’s. And yes… I loved it!!!

You can find me also on (not so much presence)
YouTube
Instagram

And if you enjoyed this report I'd appreciate support if you'd follow my blog and me on youtube and instagram.
Thanks!!