FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - It's awfully nice in Nice, BA SIN-LHR-NCE in Y+ and C
Old Feb 4, 2017, 8:07 pm
SQTraveller

IMG_0491 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Thanks for waiting. You can find the trip report on my travelling blog.

VIEW THE TRIP REPORT HERE AS WELL
And if you enjoy reading it, please subscribe to my blog by selecting the follow button on the top right hand side. Thanks!!

Previous components to this trip:
Singapore – London on British Airways BA16, A380 (December 2016)

This was a particularly early flight, leaving at 8.20am, so had to get up to reach the airport about 2 hours before the flight. I don’t like the idea of rushing through security and immigration, especially at London Heathrow where the queues at security are a bit unpredictable. What do you guys prefer? Do you prefer to arrive early or just in time?

In the end, the car dropped me off at around 6.15, so there was plenty of time to finish the check in, go to the lounge, have some breakfast and head to the gate.

IMG_0483 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

In fact we needn’t have worried at all. There was no queue at check in, and almost as soon as I had wound my way around the empty line, there was an open desk for me to bag drop.

The lady at the desk pointed me to South security as she said that the lounge was on that side would be closer to the gate that we would ultimately be served by. [edit: though now I realise she actually said South, when she was directing us the North Security and lounge). I thought that was a good touch, as the desk was close to South security, and I would have naturally gone that way.

IMG_0485 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

The Galleries (North) lounge. It was the closer of the two lounges to Gate A8 which was supposed to be our gate; although it wasn’t confirmed at time of check in.

IMG_0487 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

A reasonable selection of hot sandwiches and the life at the hot food bar

IMG_0490 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

There were a reasonable number of people in the lounge so I was a bit self conscious of taking photos. This was the area that they had porridge.

IMG_0489 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

I had porridge and some hot rolls (with bacon and sausage) and also some toast. No fruit juice for me. Just water.

About 30 minutes before official departure I made my way to Gate A8, which as promised, was just downstairs and around the corner. Very convenient indeed.

BA342 LHR
December 2016
A320
Class: Club Europe (Business)
Scheduled Departure: 08:20
Actual Departure: 08:37
Scheduled Arrival: 11:20
Actual Arrival: 11:14
Estimated duration:
Actual duration: 1:27
Plane registration: G-EGLL

IMG_0492 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

Priority boarding was strictly adhered to.

Gold and Club Europe were lined up in front of the priority line. Everyone else was lined up at right angles. And as people were queuing a member of the ground staff was checking tickets, sending people to the correct queue or to sit back down.
I was surprised that they did this. Not many airlines do this so aggressively. BA certainly didn’t do this on the previous leg of this trip.

IMG_0494 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

On the plane I took the opportunity to catch up on the sleep that was interrupted to get up in time for this early flight.
Unfortunately the chap next to me decided that he needed the toilet so I was woken up after only about 15mins shut eye.

After settling back down it was breakfast time. On offer was a full English, a vegetarian omelette and a cold plate option. As I had already eaten at the lounge, I opted for an empty tray which included some fruit. And I also took a croissant.

IMG_0500 by Globe Trekka, on Flickr

About 20 minutes before landing, the co-pilot came on the horn to let us know that we were about to land. The crew came around to clear up and landing was a doddle.

One thing that annoys me nowadays is the way the luggage is not put out on the conveyor on the basis of priority. We had paid for club Europe and our luggage came out as one of the last. Not really a premium experience.

Once we had picked up our luggage, we headed through customs. While nearly everyone was being waved through, one couple had been stopped and were there for quite some time. I’m not sure what they had done that had caused them to be stopped, but it did seem like a very long conversation was going on.

The taxis were all waiting in a line outside and for some reason they were all new Mercedes. Anyone shed any light on that? Maybe that’s why they charge €35 for a 10 minute cab ride.

I tried to Uber but it was still €30 and I’d have to wait for the car.

Next up, the apartment in Nice

You can find me also on (not so much presence)
YouTube
Instagram

And if you enjoyed this report I'd appreciate support if you'd follow my blog and me on youtube and instagram.
Thanks!!