FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SOUTH AFRICA via JFK-YUL-AMS-CPT-JNB-AMS-JFK
Old Mar 10, 2013, 5:38 am
nycflyer75

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
CAPE TOWN

Part 1: JFK-YUL-AMS
Part 2: AMS-CPT
Part 3: Pepper Club Hotel & Spa
Part 4: Pepper club Hotel & Spa part II
Part 5: Cape Town
Part 6: CPT-JNB BA/Comair
part 7: JNB AirFrance Lounge/KLM JNB-AMS
part 8: AMS crown Lounge/KLM AMS-JFK

After breakfast and long intense workout I went back to my room to open up my doors to a glorious day! Even though I hadn't seen much, I was already impressed with what I saw and the fresh smell from of the ocean. I think I was going to like Cape Town very much indeed. T shirt and shorts on ok and loafers I was not about to get flip flop to tour around in, I headed down to the lobby to catch the free shuttle to the V&A waterfront but alas they run every 2 hour but being such a gorgeous day I decided to walk through the CBD down to the water. There are parts of Cape Town that are very reminiscent of any city particularly Sydney, but then there a moment where I do feel I was definitely in Africa, with little shacks selling knick nacks on the corners. With the common were lots of sights, sounds and smells that were a nice change! It was a truly gorgeous day and I had forgotten what beautiful warm weather can do for the sole and spirit!

view from the room

Table Mountain

Table Mountain and Loop Street

It took about 30mins to walk down to the water and front and all I can say is WOW, just gorgeous. There is an upscale market on the waterfront that has great food selections and gourmet cookies, cupcakes and more, I definitely recommend checking it out. After walking around for about an hour and having lunch I decided to head further around the cape then without knowing it was already 7pm. I had forgotten about summer when the sun doesn't set till late. Oh I can't wait for Spring in NYC.

water front

water front dancing

One of my favorite things is to do is look in supermarkets and malls where the locals shop and check out what they buy in their daily life. I ended up buying one of my favorites when in Australia, Savory steak Pie and quiet cheap too.

Heading back towards the hotel I cam across a place called "Beefcakes", now what in the world could that be? I stopped stood there for perhaps 5mins staring to realize it's a burger joint and ALL the waiters not females, but all the waiters were Hunky, modelesk, fitness magazine dudes wearing skin tight jeans and skin tight muscle tank tops. Now I really need to start ordering Salads hold the dressing... especially if I was to eat there, I would look at them and put down the burger, it would be a good weight loss program. ha
Beefcakes

waterfront view

long street - hang out

Long Street is vibrant area of Cape Town with lots of restaurants, cafe's, bar and nightclubs. Right next to the hotel is an awesome, tasty and extremely cheap Indian/Middle Eastern Restaurant. It's not exactly a sit down and order but rather a buffet or made to order. I ate there twice and it was great to be surrounded by locals. Speaking of locals, I truly had a real hard time understanding some of the Capetonians. Their accent was just too hard to understand. Mind you I travel a lot and speak 6 languages, 3 of them fluently the rest conversational but this accent was just too hard to understand and they were speaking English. I am not sure what to call them but it seem to be the non-white speakers that I did not understand, perhaps it was the click language folks whom I found absolutely fascinating and often listening in on conversation on how it sounded. Quiet interesting the intonations. Sorry if I don't know which languages in a hurry since I am writing this at AMS before I get on my flight to the US and need to get it up before I depart. Please enlighten me if you know.

balcony restaurant

building

Friday night is definitely a loud night of partying in the Cape, Some of complained but I personally enjoyed it, only if I could go out and party all night long but I did not want to sleep the day away. I love the Energy of Cape Town and especially the neighborhood I was in.

friday night street view

friday night view left

Over all I am so glad I made this trip to Cape Town, my view of South Africa has changed for the better. It took 16 years to return to South Africa, and now I intend to come back this time with some friends to enjoy the nightlife and party life.

Last edited by nycflyer75; Mar 13, 2013 at 9:35 pm