FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - SOUTH AFRICA via JFK-YUL-AMS-CPT-JNB-AMS-JFK
Old Mar 13, 2013, 7:51 am
nycflyer75

Programs: DL DM 1MM, DL reserve, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
TRIP REPORT SOUTH AFRICA
WINTER 2012 (summer southern Hemisphere)

Part 1: JFK-YUL-AMS
Part 2: AMS-CPT
Part 3: Pepper Club Hotel & Spa
Part 4: Pepper club Hotel & Spa part II
Part 5: Cape Town
Part 6: CPT-JNB BA/Comair
part 7: JNB AirFrance Lounge/KLM JNB-AMS
part 8: AMS crown Lounge/KLM AMS-JFK

Coming off a great experience on BA/ComAir, it was an easy transfer between the domestic side of JNB terminal to the international side with lots of stores and regular food outlets. I would be departing out of terminal A which was a 5-10min walk depending on how fast you walked.

JO'BURG ARRIVALS INTERNATIONAL

Since I did not have a boarding pass for AMS-JFK I decided to go to the Checkin counter and reissue my boarding pass on KLM stock and to get my through boarding Pass. KLM/AirFrance keep it simple and print both boarding ID's on the single stock card. Boarding Card in hand the agent suggest the AirFrance lounge. Thanked her and off I went turning around to say good bye to South Africa with a wave and smile only to see the faces of weary travels waiting for me to move out of the way lol.

Terminal A checkin counters have their own security and immigration. You pass past the check in counter and head to security. The only other time I have done this, is when I check at certain airports in Canada for USA flights e.g.: YVR, YOW.

Security was a quick simple event. The Rugby team that was on my flight from Cape Town were in fact departing South Africa as well. As I neared the immigration counters, they are an open air both with views right behind them to the terminal, quite relaxed feel to them. I stepped forward to my IO and he greeted me with a smile. We exchanged pleasantries and I was quickly through.

As I turned around to take a look, I noticed the screen of the IO computer. I have always wondered what they did when they put the passport on the scanner. It was the first time I have seen the image on the screen, pretty much a simple scan of the passport and information about what I think was entry details, I stood from a far so good not make out what it said.

IMMIGRATION

I had a 70 rand left and I decided to head into the duty free store, which has an extensive selection of goods, perhaps I would get some chocolate but alas they were well beyond 70rand. Before I splurge on one bar, I realized my batteries had died in my Bose headset, and surely needed them replaced. 69rand, perfect. Looking around I decided to head to the AirFrance/KLM which was on the far pier terminal A.

DUTY FREE ENTRANCE

DUTY FREE

FREE LIQUOR TASTING

AIR FRANCE ENTRANCE

Walking into the lounge, the dragon greeted my with a smile as I handed her my boarding pass, again no need to show my Diamond Medallion card, I was automatically let in. As you walk in, to your left there is a kitchen/dining area and around the back to the other side of the entrance, seating area. To the far Right of the entrance, La Premiere area cautioned off by a red velvet rope.

LA PREMIERE

Once I did a quick scan of the lounge I asked about the shower rooms, and the lounge dragon informed me to simply pick a room. As I entered one of the shower rooms, to my right was a towel with toiletries wrapped up in a sealed plastic wrap. The bench bright red, with the typical AirFrance design, but as you looked straight ahead a not so inviting shower stall. In Fact it was a little grimy to say the least. Adequate water pressure, though the nozzle constantly moved around like it was in the exorcist, little freaky at times.

SHOWER ROOM

BATHROOM PRODUCTS

Refreshed and smelling like a perfumery counter at Macy's I head back into the lounge to take claim of my fort next to the guarded entrance of La Premiere.

LOUNGE

THe food selection was...Ok, nothing special. There was a selection of pies with assortment of filings e.g: chicken, anchovies as well as assortment of quiches. Since they were cold, I popped them into the microwave and nuked them for a few seconds. They were delicious, though not mouthwatering enough to warrant another one. I was far too interested in having a glass or bottle of champagne! Did you expect me not to? Ha.

Further on the counter two choices of muffins, chocolate and vanilla and both dry, of courser I sampled them both, haha. On a back counter assortment of chips, savory snacks and pita rolls that were shamefully dry. One bite and I politely opened my mouth in a napkin to remove. Just vile!

AIR FRANCE - FOOD AREA

FOOD SELECTION

MICROWAVE

A great selection of drinks for the taking, and I most certainly stocked up on water for the flight, like so many did in the lounge. They barely keep you hydrated on the planes.

DRINKS

And...finally what I was waiting for my buddy, my friend, my companion, a glass of champagne... only to look closer and the horror, sparkling wine, and you call yourself AirFrance. With dismay and shock I quickly poured a full glass of champagne, I mean sparking wine. OK, I poured it twice, ok I felt like I practically camped out drinking the sparkling wine, haha. I just wish they had champagne flutes rather than regular glasses.

SPARKLING WINE/WINE

Since I was a few hours early into the lounge it was quiet, but soon the lounge became quiet lively but not too full. One thing I must mention, is how terribly slow the internet is in the lounge. It felt like ancient dial up speeds.

Since my flight was at 11:59pm and it was now nearing 11:40pm, boarding was flashing on the monitors, it was time to packed my things and head to the gate, full and perky from the cham...sparkling wine.

As I neared the gate, it was quite apparent boarding had not commenced. You must pass a security check point to board the flight. They took my passport looked at it, looked at the boarding pass and wished my a pleasant journey. Though the guy behind me was grilled for practically a DNA sample.

There was a separate line for business and Elites and on the other side boarding for rows 30 and up. As I joined the Elite line, several passengers one, from the US and the other from India pushed their way through to the front. DYKWIA first hand. Finally an American turned to them and said we are ALL elites and I am in Business class, you are not going in front of me! Burn. ha

Boarding card scanned the two air bridges delivering a quick boarding process. To the left Business class and to the right Economy split by a glass barrier. As I walked down the business class lane right before entering a guard was standing directing those elites seated in the back and those in business class, of course my head down I merged back into the right side.

KLM ROYAL DUTCH AIRLINES
KL 592
Aircraft: 777-200
Actual seat: 12F
Depart: Johannesburg Airport (JNB)
Arrive: Amsterdam (AMS)
Sched.Departure: 11:59pm Actual Departure : 12:05am
Sched.Arrival: 10:15am Actual arrival: 9:45am

Once on board I was greeted and quickly prepped myself for the 10hr and 30min flight back up the middle of Africa to AMS. Sure enough right before I sat down, I notice the elites who barged their way in the elite line, were sitting behind in Economy, not economy comfort!

With boarding complete within 5-10mins, I was starting to smile, as the seat between me and another EC passenger left empty. In fact, there were 4 middle seats empty.

But now I was dreading the, up sell, but who would really want a middle EC seat? No mention of up sell was made, so with a sigh of relief I would definitely get some rest this overnight flight back to AMS.

Number one for take off, we rolled down the runway for what seemed forever, even longer than I have experienced flying from DTW-HKG. Seat belt signs off moments after take off, I headed to the bathroom to change into sleepwear. As I waited for the bathroom, I noticed the flight attend bringing a passenger forward. The back was quite empty. After changing, I walk towards my seat and with utter annoyance, the flight attend was throwing my Bose headphones, and my neighbors newspapers off the middle seat. She had brought the guy from the back to sit right between us. I was so annoyed but, what can you do that's how the dice rolled. I said, calmly to her with a big smile, please let me move my own things and make room for him. She was very abrupt and said hurry up, this is now his seat not yours. I smirked at her with "go F%@ yourself eyes" call me a DYKWIA but I was not a happy camper. The guy though was apologetic Afrikaans speaker and I told him no worries.

Of course now the question was why was he moved and not moved to another open seat in the back, why was he moved next to me, perhaps because It was an unlucky choice to that I happened to be in the bathroom and there was room. Note to self; do not go to the bathroom and go right to sleep on take off and pray, ha. No matter, I had to make the best of it, and hide my jealousy of the three other seats free. After that exchange I simply decided to put my ear plugs, in my eyeshades on and call it a night. Besides I had already stuffed myself in the lounge, I really didn't need to eat again. With Armrest war brewing (we were 3 tall built guys sitting in the middle section) I gave in and leaned to my right and gave him full use of the armrest. Afrikaaner won the armrest battle.

Moments later I passed out and woke to breakfast being served. I had literally slept 8 or so hours, feeling better than when I went to sleep, the flight attend saw that I had woken up and came back to serve me breakfast, and asked if I slept well enough and perhaps a coffee. (trying to sleep in coach is rough, haha) She was lovely and brought me out of my sedation to smile at the world again. With under an hour to go, I went to front cabin bathroom, only to find it out of order. Heading back there was a carnival long line for the rest room.

Ready to tackle the day ahead, We landed on the outer runway, but 35mins ahead of schedule.

Taxiing to the gate, the passenger began to get up before reaching the gate. Don't they know to listen to the chime to let us know when to get up.

Boarding door opened, the flight attendants let the business class passengers off and soon I was let off, being at the front definitely has its perks. I was looking forward to a nice hot shower and perhaps a mimosa.

Last edited by nycflyer75; Mar 13, 2013 at 9:37 pm