Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Packing for 3-month trip Antarctica, Patagonia trekking, & high heat - carry on only.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Packing for 3-month trip Antarctica, Patagonia trekking, & high heat - carry on only.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2023, 7:04 pm
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist

I’ve been traveling fulltime for about 15 months now. I usually switch out clothes every three months, keeping to a carry-on and topper and trying to stay in similar climates each quarter, though I’ve not been real successful at that, mostly due to unexpected weather (daily rain and cold in May in Italy when I packed sundresses, for instance).

Anyway, I’ve realized I need to put more care and attention into my packing. I’m particularly trying to figure out the following:

Buenos Aires/Iguazu Falls (very hot, humid) January
Antarctica/Patagonia trekking February
Bariloche/Mendoza (70s/80s) March

The high heat ones I figure are sort of easy - lightweight dresses that take little space and some activewear.

Antarctica/Patagonia seems to need so much. Cruise is 10 days. I just bought some Woolx pieces see how those are. They seem lightweight yet insulating. I don’t want to look the same everyday, but don’t want to carry a bunch of bulky layers. I’m thinking black insulated leggings for everyday maybe 2 pairs?

woolx advertises that the pieces don’t smell. Can you really wear these trekking a couple of days in a row? I bought a couple of neck gators from Buff that will add some color. Though, honestly, I just want to be comfortable, not looking to be fashionable. I’ve heard a few people say they were too warm all layered up in Feb.

So any fabric or brand recommendations for the Antarctica/trekking part that might be lightweight and comfortable? Is wool the best for this? Any other good synthetic tech fabrics?

I also want to get gloves that are useable with a touchscreen (iPhone). Reviews aren’t the greatest on most I’ve looked at. Anyone have some they like?

thanks
Old Jun 12, 2023, 11:56 am

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I do think merino wool takes longer to start smelling than cotton or silk or most tech fabrics. But it will smell eventually. Do a test with the woolx pieces you bought - wear a piece until it starts to smell to see how long - and what activities - it takes. I love merino - it's my go-to for shoulder season through super cold. I'm not sure how to pack for the trip you're planning - good luck, and might I recommend a very carefully planned packing list. Wow!
l etoile likes this.
Old Jun 12, 2023, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
You

Originally Posted by l etoile
I’ve been traveling fulltime for about 15 months now. I usually switch out clothes every three months, keeping to a carry-on and topper and trying to stay in similar climates each quarter, though I’ve not been real successful at that, mostly due to unexpected weather (daily rain and cold in May in Italy when I packed sundresses, for instance).

Anyway, I’ve realized I need to put more care and attention into my packing. I’m particularly trying to figure out the following:

The high heat ones I figure are sort of easy - lightweight dresses that take little space and some activewear.

Antarctica/Patagonia seems to need so much. Cruise is 10 days. I just bought some Woolx pieces see how those are. They seem lightweight yet insulating. I don’t want to look the same everyday, but don’t want to carry a bunch of bulky layers. I’m thinking black insulated leggings for everyday maybe 2 pairs?

woolx advertises that the pieces don’t smell. Can you really wear these trekking a couple of days in a row? I bought a couple of neck gators from Buff that will add some color. Though, honestly, I just want to be comfortable, not looking to be fashionable. I’ve heard a few people say they were too warm all layered up in Feb.

So any fabric or brand recommendations for the Antarctica/trekking part that might be lightweight and comfortable? Is wool the best for this? Any other good synthetic tech fabrics?

I also want to get gloves that are useable with a touchscreen (iPhone). Reviews aren’t the greatest on most I’ve looked at. Anyone have some they like?

thanks

I have nothing useful to add, except:

You are My New Travel Goddess
Old Jun 13, 2023, 12:43 am
Original Poster

Haha! I’m not sure you’d say that if you saw how poorly I was packed for the cold in April/May!
Old Jun 14, 2023, 6:09 am

Travelingstanleys here...

Originally Posted by l etoile

thanks
We spent most of 2022 and into 2023 South America, doing all of the above, adding in, Galapagos and Machu Picchu, and one month hiking Patagonia.

I'll tell you this. Tech fabrics ( 100 synthetic) and 100% merino wool are ALL of my packed items. All of my tee shirts are from 32 degrees. Wool and Cashmere hoodie. Tech shorts Eddie Bauer. and Lee Performance shorts. Tech pants Nike and Under Armour. Leggings Nike. They all wash beautifully, pack super thin, cotton does not, and takes forever to dry. I basically have tees that can be worn alone, or with a sweater over top. One long sleeved Eddie Bauer tech shirt. That has been the key for DH and me for being full-time nomads. Has to be industrial strength, was in either sink or as in Buenos Aires, sometimes in the laundry place down the street, in washers of dubious gentleness. A super thin packable down jacket.Think tech gloves, one cashmere beanie. Shoes, 3 pair, one pair hiking shoes, one pair Teva, one pair black sneakers.

I can go on and on of what I've learned...

Question, when we did our Silversea Antarctica cruise, we were given and kept a jacket. Who are you sailing? A lot of the expedition ships give complimentary jackets.
l etoile and travelmad478 like this.
Old Jun 14, 2023, 8:37 am

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)
32 degrees makes great T- shirts - I first tried them from Costco and now get quite a few of my first layers, plus underwear, from them. I also use a company called Freefly, if you like bamboo this company is the bomb. Both their super thin bamboo and their bamboo fleece are staples, though they don't dry fast so may not work in the climates mentioned above.
l etoile likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75k, DL Silver Medallion
I think woolx products tend to be a little itchier than Ibex/Icebreaker, which I prefer. If you have that issue, try another brand before giving up on wool altogether.

I'm very sensitive to even high quality wool though! I can only do merino/silk blends next to my skin on my torso. I really like this New Zealand brand, Silk Living, for that. (I think I bought my first piece of theirs off of Amazon, but they also sell direct.)
https://silkliving.com/

I tend to wear wool as my middle layer, not next to skin. Silk next to skin requires more washing, but it usually dries fast enough for my needs, and I'm so much more comfortable.

Also watch out for how much nylon is blended in with your merino. The wool might not get stinky, but the synthetics woven together with it can. Those synthetics greatly aid durability, however, so it's a balancing act.

I buy wool (blend) t-shirts for my teens to wear for travel, so I do believe the claims that they get less smelly... One kid has a bunch of those 32 Degrees shirts, too, and they need more washing than the wool.
l etoile likes this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:29 pm

Fyi in season Costco has 100% merino tees very cheap - they get holes pretty easily (after a yr or so of basic use) , but they also only cost $20 or so - I don't mind. Last year, I bought a bunch - a couple my size (tight fitting for base layering) and a size or two up to wear as a tee. Extended sizing to at least xxl (18-20), and they had a few colors. Seg'ments is the brand, and I see elsewhere - just not sure as cheap as Costco ;-)
willoL and l etoile like this.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 1:31 pm

I also like 32 degrees tees (I buy BIG men's sizes for sleep/exercise tees during travel as the biggest women's are pretty tight on me and I only use as a base layering) Uniqlo heattech and airism are fantastic for travel for me, not sure how they'd be for true technical activities. Hubs and I both have a bunch of all. He really likes the Uniqlo turtlenecks for cold weather travel
Old Jun 17, 2023, 1:37 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by QT31415
if you like bamboo this company is the bomb. Both their super thin bamboo and their bamboo fleece are staples, though they don't dry fast so may not work in the climates mentioned above.
I love bamboo. Thanks, I’ll have a look.

@willoL good advice. Thank you. Woolx is having 60% off some items so I just bought a couple more pieces. I hope I like them. I’ll check out silkliving.

@stan1162 yes, we all get parkas that are ours. Guessing underlayer, fleece and that should basically cover it, but I need to read a bit more.

Last edited by l etoile; Jun 17, 2023 at 1:42 am
Old Jun 19, 2023, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
He really likes the Uniqlo turtlenecks for cold weather travel
Heattech mock turtleneck fleece. Great warmth and comfort for the packing space, look good enough to pair with separates for dinner.
Old Jun 19, 2023, 10:14 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
Heattech mock turtleneck fleece. Great warmth and comfort for the packing space, look good enough to pair with separates for dinner.
He does have a couple - esp since I found one in orange, which is one of his favorite colors and he actually looks good in it - but they can be a bit warm for him indoors. For regular layering under button downs, he likes the heattech turtlenecks - have a couple striped versions he finds "interesting" (he's very hard to dress sometimes because he basically wants to dress like a toddler - bright colors, fun prints, clashing - or like Miami Vice, despite me throwing away his white jeans in 1999.....)
QT31415 likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:08 pm

He does have a couple - esp since I found one in orange, which is one of his favorite colors and he actually looks good in it - but they can be a bit warm for him indoors. For regular layering under button downs, he likes the heattech turtlenecks - have a couple striped versions he finds "interesting" (he's very hard to dress sometimes because he basically wants to dress like a toddler - bright colors, fun prints, clashing - or like Miami Vice, despite me throwing away his white jeans in 1999.....)
But all-white jeans are back in "style" - I had to get hubby a pair last summer for one of those darn all-white parties that millenials like to have, and noticed my daughter's very chic bf wearing a pair with a navy blazer and sockless loafers in Bordeaux last weekend! My spouse definitely still has a strong penchant for high school style. He'd probably still have a mullet with a fringe but that requires hair!
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Jun 20, 2023, 1:44 pm

Hub's refusal to wear white or flesh tone underwear make white or other potentially see through pants a no-go. He has a lovely pair of lt tan linen pants and one pair of white boxer briefs I literally have to force him into (and usually pack myself because he'll "forget") For the white party on whichever cruise line, he wore those with a white shirt. Close enough ;-)

I'm a preppy raised in 1980s Connecticut - I'll dress him in red embroidered lobster shorts and blue hula girl shorts for days on end though :-)
Old Jun 21, 2023, 9:25 pm

Hub's refusal to wear white or flesh tone underwear make white or other potentially see through pants a no-go. He has a lovely pair of lt tan linen pants and one pair of white boxer briefs I literally have to force him into (and usually pack myself because he'll "forget") For the white party on whichever cruise line, he wore those with a white shirt. Close enough ;-)

I'm a preppy raised in 1980s Connecticut - I'll dress him in red embroidered lobster shorts and blue hula girl shorts for days on end though :-)
I know this is SO far off course from the original topic, but tiktok swears that red underwear is the best thing to wear under white clothing. Haven't tried it, but maybe your husband could be our test run?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.