Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Hey Ladies, what piece of travel clothing have you been most complimented on?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2022, 10:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska 100K (aka OWS)

Thanks to this forum I've been working on developing a travel capsule wardrobe. But bleh! I'm no good at those "statement" items. I need some items that make a neutral capsule really pop - mostly for evening or social gatherings. What do you have that you've found reliable for extracting reactions (hopefully complementary ones!). I have tons of scarfs - am looking for more shirts/jacket or even statement jewelry. Shoes and bags are too hard to pack many of, so those are limited.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 11:38 am

Originally Posted by QT31415
Thanks to this forum I've been working on developing a travel capsule wardrobe. But bleh! I'm no good at those "statement" items. I need some items that make a neutral capsule really pop - mostly for evening or social gatherings. What do you have that you've found reliable for extracting reactions (hopefully complementary ones!). I have tons of scarfs - am looking for more shirts/jacket or even statement jewelry. Shoes and bags are too hard to pack many of, so those are limited.
Maybe not what you had in mind, but the thing that always gets me compliments is a dress I bought from eShakti.com (which, of course, I learned about here on FT). It's a simple style, cotton twill that doesn't wrinkle, navy background w/ floral print, but the fit is perfect, and I am hard to fit. I always get compliments when I wear it. The company specializes in custom fit clothing at reasonable prices - the site shows you an item w/ multiple personalization options (longer skirt, different sleeves, etc.), select how you want your dress/top/skirt to look, you put in your measurements, custom clothing arrives in ~2 weeks.

DM me for a referral code if you're interested.
Misty Moon and QT31415 like this.
Old Aug 11, 2022, 1:13 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
For me, it's scarves and long necklaces - I get scarves everywhere (and have some I've had since high school in the 80s, I have a WIDE variety ;-) My clothing is fairly neutral otherwise, at least bottoms & tops. I do love a cardigan and have them in so many colors and a few patterns. My normal work look is narrow pant, knit top, long cardigan. Or a knit dress (while maxi are fine at my office, I tend to stick to knee/just below knee shift type shapes for travel)

A co-worker I have traveled with a few times has (or did the last time we traveled - I've been working remotely for 2 1/2 years so I haven't seen her in a while) some pieces from Norway - a couple sweaters and dresses that I've seen - Oleana. GORGEOUS. Knit, so easy for travel. Amazing on her - she has florals, which are great. Online now some fun geometric patterns https://oleana.no/category/women/cardigans
(the "Heritage" collection has more of the florals I love!)

I have 2 necklaces that work well for me during travel - both from colleagues - one is a newspaper bead necklace from Tanzania, the other is a wooden bead necklace from China - I don't worry about breaking them.

I work in global health; if I travel for work it's probably not the same as when other people travel for work. And I don't get to travel nearly as often as I want, even pre-COVID :-)
Old Aug 12, 2022, 9:41 am

As a knit lover, I have some St. John pieces and Misook. No, I'm not a 70yr oldwoman in Orange County or Dallas, but it is weird I loved those brands when I was 25. Anyway, I would love a Misook cardigan, but not pink. Good sale though. I wear a lot of Eileen Fisher (or pieces that look like they could be EF ;-) But that's mostly neutral colors (mostly black as it remains a favorite) but she does have some statement type pieces if that style meshes for you.

It's really hard to recommend without knowing what you like. When I think statement, it's different now at 49 than it was at 25. I want something that is my personal style, elevated. So it doesn't have to be neon when the rest of my wardrobe is black, but a cut that fits me perfectly, something that I feel good & confident in each time I wear, and yes, something that others might compliment me on. What pieces in your existing wardrobe are like that? Now, how can you make that/those piece(s) even better?
QT31415 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 1:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Hoyaheel
As a knit lover, I have some St. John pieces and Misook. No, I'm not a 70yr oldwoman in Orange County or Dallas, but it is weird I loved those brands when I was 25. Anyway, I would love a Misook cardigan, but not pink. Good sale though. I wear a lot of Eileen Fisher (or pieces that look like they could be EF ;-) But that's mostly neutral colors (mostly black as it remains a favorite) but she does have some statement type pieces if that style meshes for you.

It's really hard to recommend without knowing what you like. When I think statement, it's different now at 49 than it was at 25. I want something that is my personal style, elevated. So it doesn't have to be neon when the rest of my wardrobe is black, but a cut that fits me perfectly, something that I feel good & confident in each time I wear, and yes, something that others might compliment me on. What pieces in your existing wardrobe are like that? Now, how can you make that/those piece(s) even better?
I recently dug out some old St John pieces for my daughter - she loved them, apparently they're very retro and trendy! There's no way I can fit into them now, and can't justify the expense for new ones now that I'm retired. I also love scarves and always carry several, however am really dealing with this hot flash thing and frequently can't tolerate them. My usual on-the-plane outfit is EF separates and an Hermes scarf but I lost a scarf or two while emergently shedding layers during a hot flash, so now just bring those pretty but cheap silk scarves from Amazon. What I'd like is an eye-catching sleeveless statement top or shift that can be worn with separates that I've packed for daywear use. I've gotten several Johnny Was tops but they're a bit boho for me (late 50's), and there's a brand called Farm Rio that has stuff my 20 year old self would have loved, but I don't think I can pull it off at my age. Will definitely look at CD's eShakti site also.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 6:15 pm

I have 4 or 5 dresses from eshakti - two I adore but they're weird and hard to wear bc they're dressy but not formal, maxi so not business. I wore one on a cruise and the other to a wedding, now I just don't know what to do with them. Other dresses are ok for work.
Old Aug 15, 2022, 10:49 pm
Original Poster

I have 4 or 5 dresses from eshakti - two I adore but they're weird and hard to wear bc they're dressy but not formal, maxi so not business. I wore one on a cruise and the other to a wedding, now I just don't know what to do with them. Other dresses are ok for work.
Good input - I was wondering that very thing. Some would work for dinner out, but the type of fabric isn't really mentioned as far as weight and feel (they look stiff). Do you find that they pack well as far as compression and weight?
Old Aug 16, 2022, 8:43 am

Black soutache maxi

Green floral maxi
eshakti dresses come in a LOT of fabrics, so it depends. A couple dresses I have are cotton poplin - that wrinkles quite badly. The knits are great - not many knit options. I had one blouse that was a poly blend, even sizing up it was never very comfy. Wore it a couple times and donated. (they should mention fabric content online; I thought they do!) My knit dress I wore on a cruise was a maxi with soutache and it is very heavy, it was a terrible choice for travel
Old Aug 16, 2022, 10:36 am

eshakti dresses come in a LOT of fabrics, so it depends. A couple dresses I have are cotton poplin - that wrinkles quite badly. The knits are great - not many knit options. I had one blouse that was a poly blend, even sizing up it was never very comfy. Wore it a couple times and donated. (they should mention fabric content online; I thought they do!) My knit dress I wore on a cruise was a maxi with soutache and it is very heavy, it was a terrible choice for travel
AVOID the poplin! It does wrinkle terribly.

2 of my favorite pieces of clothing are what they call "twill" - a fairly thick cotton that doesn't wrinkle. They do list the fabric content, but you have click on "Product Details" for the full fabric content, washing instructions, etc. I agree the knit options are also good, I have a knit dress that I really like because it's not flimsy knit with no body like so many of them are. eShakti is gradually increasing the variety of fabrics they use, and more of them are wrinkle-resistant than what they formerly offered, and they do have a good return policy.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2022, 11:02 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Originally Posted by QT31415
What I'd like is an eye-catching sleeveless statement top or shift that can be worn with separates that I've packed for daywear use.
What about some Pleats Please? It travels and packs wonderfully (obviously), is always appropriate, can be dressed up or down, is timeless, and will last forever (quite literally, given that it is polyester...). In the US, Matches and Ssense tend to have the best prices and best sales; one warning, the Real Real has been absurdly overpriced (there is a bunch-- nothing rare or unusual--on TRR right now that is priced over retail).
Old Aug 20, 2022, 9:10 am

If anyone is interested in eshakti, definitely sign up for emails. Today's email is 25% off and free shipping - and their shipping just went up this year (I think they produce mostly in India) so free shipping is a good offer. Sometimes they offer free customizations as well.
Old Sep 4, 2022, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
I love packing St. John Knit pieces for travel. I have knit trousers and blazers of theirs that I lover to pack for travel, and I absolutely adore their tanks and turtlenecks, which are absolute staples (thin, wrinkle-proof) in any travel wardrobe. I also always pack one of their cocktail suits when I travel, since I can wear it as such whenever I have an event and wear the jacket to elevate trousers or dress up a plain skirt or even pair it up with jeans for a funky high-low look.

Another favorite piece for travel is a Luisa Spagnoli reversible wool jacket that is plain grey on one side and small plaid on the inside. Two very different looks in one. I wear it on travel days (to avoid suitcase bulk and because airports and planes can be cool in fall and winter). I love it with a host of different scarves, from my pink Burberry when it is cold to a variety of colorful silk Hermes scarves when it is less chilly. I pack a leather jacket for warmer days.

Luisa Spagnoli has been a great find. Their clothes fit me, look good, can be ordered on-line, have great style, and are a lower price point that St. John Knits. They are great for slightly funky-fied basics such as pencil skirts with zips in unusual places and the reversible wool jacket. They also make great, lightweight merino wool turtlenecks, that are great for travel (as well as everyday, depending on your hometown's climate).
QT31415 and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by ysolde
I love packing St. John Knit pieces for travel....
I always swoon internally when I read your fashion posts.
Dreaming of St John but currently rocking Eileen Fisher for business travel (and loving it). And I may finally have found the perfect wool McQueen scarf that works as a wrap and as a blanket yet folds up small enough for travel.
I don't get compliments on pieces but surprisingly do get compliments on my "look" which is...basic black. Cardigans, dresses and flats. Pearls if I'm feeling fancy. Basically my mom in the 60's.
Hoyaheel likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2022, 9:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by rsqrott
I always swoon internally when I read your fashion posts.
Dreaming of St John but currently rocking Eileen Fisher for business travel (and loving it). And I may finally have found the perfect wool McQueen scarf that works as a wrap and as a blanket yet folds up small enough for travel.
I don't get compliments on pieces but surprisingly do get compliments on my "look" which is...basic black. Cardigans, dresses and flats. Pearls if I'm feeling fancy. Basically my mom in the 60's.
I love Eileen Fisher! And yes, yes, yes to pearls. So easy to wear from casual to elegant. Your wardrobe sounds amazing! I absolutely think the key to a travel wardrobe is having basic pieces that all work together in a variety of ways.
gretchendz, QT31415 and Hoyaheel like this.
Old Apr 29, 2023, 7:55 pm
Original Poster

Bumping up this thread because I've just reread everything, trying still to find some stunning statement pieces. I've visited all the sites you girls have mentioned - love St John, but can't justify the cost, love the Luisa Spignoli but not sure about purchasing something close fitting without having worn that label before. I've got a couple social events coming up - a big graduation, a "meet the boyfriend's very wealthy parents", a couple nights out in expensive restaurants in Europe- and I need something that packs easily and looks amazing.

The problem is - I'm a shortish, late 50's Seattle girl whom my kids describe as granola - at home, my uniform is levi's/leggings and Patagonia, travel is Eileen Fisher with a few Hermes thrown in for color. I want to up my game! I cannot pack a lot because these city events come at the tail end of a 3 week trip to Croatia, and I am HBO all the way. Be my personal shopper!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.