Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > Special Interest Travel > Women Travelers
Reload this Page >

Share your favorite travel "secrets"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Share your favorite travel "secrets"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:21 pm

I love those unscented Dove soap bars, too!

Then I found them at Dollar Tree: 3 bars for $1. Thrill of a bargain!
Old Mar 15, 2018, 6:34 pm

Originally Posted by ksandness
By the way, I love the suggestion about taking old underwear and disposing of it instead of trying to find a coin laundry in places where they are rare and/or outrageously expensive.

I was once caught short in London with only three days left to go on my stay, but I went to a pound shop and bought three pairs for two pounds. They were EXTREMELY flimsy and fell apart after one wearing, but that was all I needed.
Last summer in the UK I had a choice between wasting precious hours in York at a laundromat or spending a couple £'s. Considering the weather was very nice, the laundromat had zero appeal, so I sent my kid into M&S to buy himself some new undershorts and we picked up 3 knit shirts for him at Primark. Interesting thing about the Primark shirts: the £1 t-shirts are quite good quality, the £3 polo is a piece of trash, the color on it faded/streaked/turned bizarre shades the first time it was washed and seams shrank.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 5:23 pm

Programs: Four Seasons PP, RW Elite, Dorchester Diamond, Virtuoso, PenClub, Privé, Oetker Pearl, etc.
I love this thread! Here are my favorite tips:
1. If I have a checked bag, I always pack an extra outfit + bathing suit in my carry-on, just in case luggage gets lost.
2. Nude-color ballet flats, wedges, and flip flops because they match every outfit.
3. Two scarves in my carry-on: one for around my neck and one to use as a light blanket. I’m always so cold, and this helps a lot.
4. My favorite perfumed lotion… because I don’t always love the scent of the hotel lotions and traveling with perfume can be disastrous.
5. Jude Connally dresses - super flattering, great prints, and the fabric is amazing and doesn’t wrinkle.
nh100 likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2018, 8:29 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I am an odd combination of high beauty maintenance and carry-on only packer. I use two products every morning and two different ones in the evening and am comforted by keeping up a familiar routine when I travel. The tip that has saved me from overpacking is to put my serum, retinol, etc. into individual contact lens cases. I have an excess of the cases and they are great for any kind of cream, lotion, etc. A sharpie labels each product and I can even pack my favorite perfumed body cream when I travel!
nh100 likes this.
Old May 30, 2018, 1:24 am

Originally Posted by Low Roller
I always bring a wide scarf that can double as a shawl if it gets cold on the plane and do triple duty as a beach wrap
+ 1 on that. ALWAYS have a wide scarf with you. It can even be used as an emergency pillow if it's fluffy enough.
Old May 30, 2018, 6:56 am

On a Facebook travel forum, these are really popular.
Amazon Amazon
Rubyruby1 likes this.
Old Jun 4, 2018, 8:30 pm

Programs: United Lifetime Gold;SPG Gold (occasional platinum);SW;etc.
I recently bought a box of individual hand sanitizer wipes in a pleasing scent (lavender) on Amazon. I tuck a few into my purse and some into my suitcase so that I can wipe the tray and armrest on the plane, clean my hands, etc.

I also like Neutrogena's dry facial cleansing cloths. When you wet them, the gentle cleanser is released and you have a washcloth and cleanser in one!
Old Jun 5, 2018, 7:45 am

I take travel clorox wipes with me on the plane. I wipe down the seat, tray, and seat belt. You'd surprised (probably not actually) how dirty each wipe gets.

I use the extra space in my shoes to pack small items, like stuffing my socks into them. That's a lot of extra space you gain.

I have dust mite allergies, so I take Claritin pillow cases with me and cover the pillows at the hotel. Prevents any allergic reactions and I know the pillow cases are clean.

For lotions, that I only need a small amount of, I use contact cases.

I put saran wrap under the lid of any liquids (wrapped over the opening, with the lip on top of the saran wrap). Helps prevent spillage.
Old Dec 30, 2018, 8:55 pm

I usually end up saving a short bit of tape and need it to shut something (chip bag, packet of laundry detergent). I just stick it on a plastic bag or plastic file folder.

Leukotape P is handy if you're accident prone or will be doing a lot of walking by covering hot spots before blisters form. Leukotape is thinner than compseed/hydrocolloid bandages and breathable. It can also be used to support sprained ankles or midfoot, as I found out through experience. I stuck a few lengths to shipping label non-stick paper backing. Reynolds freezer paper won't release it cleanly after storing a while.

Do people have routines/tips for short overnight stays or many single night stays in a row?
I was watching this video by a Flight Attendant with her tips for two short hauls bookending a short overnight stay https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QH1Gi6DtTw
Her pre-bed routine includes setting out her makeup, add wakeup alarm, add 15 min check to pickup alarm, and plugs things in to charge.

My pre-bed routine for short stays includes pulling out tomorrow's outfit (rarely do so at home/later starts), re-packing what I can, adding water to an electric kettle if one is available & put a teabag beside a cup, moving chargers + small bits into the same area(s) so I don't forget them, and setting alarms (not a morning person). I think I'll start labelling my "XXmin check alarm" or "wakeup" with something a bit more detailed like "hotel shuttle dept 6:10 am" to provide more context. Or maybe set an appointment + destination with "remind me when it is time to depart" option on.

I usually pack light but might pack a bit more on a trip with several short single night stays (ie checklist bus tour, especially in countries which dine late) to avoid having to do hand laundry after a late check in, then attempting to dry things with a hair dryer in the morning.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 6:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Either at the shooting range or anywhere good beer can be found...
Originally Posted by east_of_the_sun
When my husband and I are traveling together we“cross-pack” an outfit ( or sometimes two).
That means I have an entire set of his clothes packed in my luggage and he has an entire set of my clothes packed in his luggage.
If either of our suitcases is delayed or lost in transit we at least have the clothes we traveled in plus the set of clothes packed in the other person’s suitcase to get by on until our “tardy” suitcase catches up with us.
I love this idea!
Originally Posted by SQ319
1. Sheet masks. I use them in lieu of moisturisers. Such a great way to perk up tired and dry skin especially the night after a long flight.

2. Old underwear. I have an issue with throwing out old stuff, so I always bring my old undies; they become disposible and I will just throw them after wearing. Keeps my luggage light so that I can buy more.
I do this. I take my old underwear on trips and then throw them away after wearing. I also try to take older clothes that are still in decent condition but that are too big, a bit faded, starting to get holes in seams, etc. and wear those, then dispose of them after wearing them.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 8:33 am

I always bring an extra pair of comfy walking shoes in case my other shoes get soaked , no fun walking around in wet shoes ,
I also bring clothes i do not love and may leave if I buy something I like better and need the suitcase space for something else,
A jar of peanut butter.....
Lots of earplugs , for the plane and loud hotel AC ,
All the stuff I buy at Dollar store I give to the staff at my last stop , baby powder, shampoo, lotion etc. And often a couple Beanie Babies !
Old Jan 4, 2019, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by ysolde
A small (travel-sized) tube of Elizabeth Arden original Eight Hour Cream. It smells terribly medicinal, but works as a lip balm/gloss, as heavy duty hand cream, as protector under a bandage if you have a cut or other boo-boo, helps prevent blisters if your shoes are rubbing a spot on your foot, moisturizes dry cuticles, elbows, and cracked heels, helps keep eyebrows in place, and a million other things.
I wanted to bring this snippet to the front because last month while packing for a trip to the UK I realized that I was out of small tubes of aquaphor. I did have a tube of the EA 8Hour Cream, thought of this thread and tossed it into my bag. This stuff is amazing! It worked like a miracle on dry patches and didn't clog my pores. It's now a permanent resident in my "always packed with basics and ready" toiletry bag. Thank you ysolde!

Related to this, I tend to re-stock my regular cosmetic and skin care purchases when there are gift with purchase offers. Places like Ulta or Sephora frequently offer bags of samples with purchase or special purchases of a full sized item with travel sized products included. I save the samples and have them grouped by categories so that I can grab what I need depending on the length of my trip. This gives me the opportunity to try out new products while away, occasionally find new favorites and toss away any that I don't like. I can get 2-3 days use out of a packette, they take up less space than a small container and don't come back home with me. I have found that those small tubs of overnight masques can easily last 5-6 days being used as a night cream and are great for helping bring the illusion of life back to tired, dry, over traveled skin.

I also keep a small packette of body wash, shampoo and conditioner in the above mentioned "always packed" bag.

One last thing. I try to pack an extra bag inside of my main bag. Something like a small duffle that folds down to nothing. In the event that shopping gets done on my trip I can stuff all of my dirty laundry into the duffle and check it, leaving room in my main bag for the new purchases
Old Jan 4, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Plat & Million Miler
Originally Posted by rsqrott

One last thing. I try to pack an extra bag inside of my main bag. Something like a small duffel that folds down to nothing. In the event that shopping gets done on my trip I can stuff all of my dirty laundry into the duffle and check it, leaving room in my main bag for the new purchases
Yes! For years I have traveled with a zippered ripstop nylon bag that lays flat inside my suitcase. (Mine's a Baggalini) It holds dirty clothes so they are separate and gives me an extra bag if I buy too much I support this tip greatly.
Old Jan 4, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, silver, what yr is it?
I too always travel with a lightweight nylon duffel (mine is le sportsac ;-)
Old Jan 7, 2019, 1:33 am

I always travel with a cardigan and dry shampoo!
Rubyruby1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.