Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

New companion fare benefit for WestJet Mastercard (Non World elite)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12, 2019, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/reward...imary:20190709

New benefit for the basic WestJet Mastercard. Companion fare is $199 plus taxes, fees and charges. Can only fly within Canada.

I just received this card in January so it looks like I'll have to wait until February 2020 to get my first voucher. It should still give me savings for a YYC-YHZ flight home next summer though!
coastgirl likes this.
Old Jul 13, 2019, 11:32 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
So you save $80 on the card, and pay $100 more for the voucher. So $20 worse off the bat. And you get $200 less WS$ so $220 worse. And virtually zero WS travel and flight benefits. Assuming people who fly WS are the audience for the WS credit card, who would waste their time on a net worse value card?

Is the $80 more up front the reason?
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:38 am

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
So you save $80 on the card, and pay $100 more for the voucher. So $20 worse off the bat. And you get $200 less WS$ so $220 worse. And virtually zero WS travel and flight benefits. Assuming people who fly WS are the audience for the WS credit card, who would waste their time on a net worse value card?

Is the $80 more up front the reason?
Obviously only useful for those that don't qualify for the WE card. Good for a churn for those sorts if you choose wisely on the companion fare and use the $50 bonus.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:39 am

Programs: WestJet Gold
Some people might not qualify for the Elite card due to their income.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 8:44 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Income wise, which is how much vs. how much?
It sounds like an almost useless airline affiliation card due to no benefits to speak of on WestJet.
Old Jul 14, 2019, 9:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, Westjet, Marriott, Nexus
Originally Posted by wzzy22
Some people might not qualify for the Elite card due to their income.
This is why I have this regular card.

Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Income wise, which is how much vs. how much?
It sounds like an almost useless airline affiliation card due to no benefits to speak of on WestJet.
The elite card requires $80,000 personal income or $150,000 household. There is no income requirement for the other one apparently.

I know it's not the best travel card in the world but I earn some extra WestJet dollars without even trying. Sure, I find it sort of annoying that they don't even offer one free checked bag for the card holder but oh well - I travel light usually. Personally this new companion fare works for me so I'll take advantage of it.
jimsthe1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.