FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   WestJet | WestJet Rewards (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards-606/)
-   -   Am I better off earning SkyMiles on WS flights or continue earning WJD? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/westjet-westjet-rewards/1961949-am-i-better-off-earning-skymiles-ws-flights-continue-earning-wjd.html)

lsquare Mar 21, 2019 4:37 pm

Am I better off earning SkyMiles on WS flights or continue earning WJD?

In the past 6 months, I've flown WS on four trips. I figure it would be best to just credit those flights to WS' own program, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should have credited those flights to DL. What do you guys think? DL is the bigger airline. I tend to buy the cheapest economy flights. I also can't seem to figure out which booking classes my fares were on. I checked WS' website and my e-tickets, but there's no such information. How do I find out?

Symmetre Mar 21, 2019 4:57 pm

OP, what is it that you're trying to achieve by collecting points to begin with?

I'll be honest, four trips over a six-month span isn't going to collect enough miles to do anything with, regardless of what carrier you credit them to. If that's your travel frequency and you live in Canada, you would probably be better off crediting flights to WS and getting the WS-branded Mastercard ... use it for everyday things and you can earn a surprising amount of points over the course of a year.

Why DL? Do you fly with them more often than you fly with Westjet?

lsquare Mar 21, 2019 6:24 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 30914759)
OP, what is it that you're trying to achieve by collecting points to begin with?

I'll be honest, four trips over a six-month span isn't going to collect enough miles to do anything with, regardless of what carrier you credit them to. If that's your travel frequency and you live in Canada, you would probably be better off crediting flights to WS and getting the WS-branded Mastercard ... use it for everyday things and you can earn a surprising amount of points over the course of a year.

Why DL? Do you fly with them more often than you fly with Westjet?

That four trips was with WS. In total, I actually did 8 trips over the past 6 months. I don't have any miles with DL. I'm just thinking if I should just shift my WS spending on to DL's program instead. Just wondering how much value I'll eventually get out of my WJD.

YXUFlyboy Mar 22, 2019 5:46 am

More than you’ll get with SkyPesos. Delta is far less lucrative without American credit cards to help out.

Symmetre Mar 22, 2019 6:03 am

At that kind of volume, you won't collect enough points by flying to make any kind of impact with DL. If you live in Canada, continue crediting to Westjet and get the co-branded Mastercard ... you'll accumulate more points with the credit card, and be able to combine your CC and flying earning into a single pot. You won't be able to do that if you credit the flights to DL.

lsquare Mar 22, 2019 1:47 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy (Post 30916346)
More than you’ll get with SkyPesos. Delta is far less lucrative without American credit cards to help out.

You can't even churn US AMEX cards anyways as they have a once in a lifetime language. So what are other ways to acquire DL miles instead of just flying?

lsquare Mar 22, 2019 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Symmetre (Post 30916374)
At that kind of volume, you won't collect enough points by flying to make any kind of impact with DL. If you live in Canada, continue crediting to Westjet and get the co-branded Mastercard ... you'll accumulate more points with the credit card, and be able to combine your CC and flying earning into a single pot. You won't be able to do that if you credit the flights to DL.

Thanks for your opinion. I'm still fairly new to WJD. How do I extract the most value out of my redemption? How can I easily compare the member pricing and the WS' normal pricing? Is there a way to filter out the basic fares? I have no intention of ever purchasing them.

jkordyback Mar 23, 2019 8:52 am

I've had status with both airlines. It's takes longer to get status with WJ than Delta, but I think it comes down to which airline are you flying with most. You "sort of" get reciprocal treatment with partner airlines but I always find that there are holes in service and support.