Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Am I better off earning SkyMiles on WS flights or continue earning WJD?

Am I better off earning SkyMiles on WS flights or continue earning WJD?

Old Mar 21, 19, 4:37 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,154
Am I better off earning SkyMiles on WS flights or continue earning WJD?

In the past 6 months, I've flown WS on four trips. I figure it would be best to just credit those flights to WS' own program, but now I'm starting to wonder if I should have credited those flights to DL. What do you guys think? DL is the bigger airline. I tend to buy the cheapest economy flights. I also can't seem to figure out which booking classes my fares were on. I checked WS' website and my e-tickets, but there's no such information. How do I find out?
lsquare is online now  
Old Mar 21, 19, 4:57 pm
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Body in YYZ, heart in YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,150
OP, what is it that you're trying to achieve by collecting points to begin with?

I'll be honest, four trips over a six-month span isn't going to collect enough miles to do anything with, regardless of what carrier you credit them to. If that's your travel frequency and you live in Canada, you would probably be better off crediting flights to WS and getting the WS-branded Mastercard ... use it for everyday things and you can earn a surprising amount of points over the course of a year.

Why DL? Do you fly with them more often than you fly with Westjet?
Symmetre is offline  
Old Mar 21, 19, 6:24 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,154
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
OP, what is it that you're trying to achieve by collecting points to begin with?

I'll be honest, four trips over a six-month span isn't going to collect enough miles to do anything with, regardless of what carrier you credit them to. If that's your travel frequency and you live in Canada, you would probably be better off crediting flights to WS and getting the WS-branded Mastercard ... use it for everyday things and you can earn a surprising amount of points over the course of a year.

Why DL? Do you fly with them more often than you fly with Westjet?
That four trips was with WS. In total, I actually did 8 trips over the past 6 months. I don't have any miles with DL. I'm just thinking if I should just shift my WS spending on to DL's program instead. Just wondering how much value I'll eventually get out of my WJD.
lsquare is online now  
Old Mar 22, 19, 5:46 am
  #4  
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: YYC, Canada
Programs: Former AC*E, WorldPerks, Air Miles
Posts: 1,449
More than you’ll get with SkyPesos. Delta is far less lucrative without American credit cards to help out.
YXUFlyboy is offline  
Old Mar 22, 19, 6:03 am
  #5  
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Body in YYZ, heart in YYG
Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
Posts: 2,150
At that kind of volume, you won't collect enough points by flying to make any kind of impact with DL. If you live in Canada, continue crediting to Westjet and get the co-branded Mastercard ... you'll accumulate more points with the credit card, and be able to combine your CC and flying earning into a single pot. You won't be able to do that if you credit the flights to DL.
Symmetre is offline  
Old Mar 22, 19, 1:47 pm
  #6  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,154
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy View Post
More than you’ll get with SkyPesos. Delta is far less lucrative without American credit cards to help out.
You can't even churn US AMEX cards anyways as they have a once in a lifetime language. So what are other ways to acquire DL miles instead of just flying?
lsquare is online now  
Old Mar 22, 19, 1:48 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Programs: *G, ST E+, OZ Diamond, DL GM, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,154
Originally Posted by Symmetre View Post
At that kind of volume, you won't collect enough points by flying to make any kind of impact with DL. If you live in Canada, continue crediting to Westjet and get the co-branded Mastercard ... you'll accumulate more points with the credit card, and be able to combine your CC and flying earning into a single pot. You won't be able to do that if you credit the flights to DL.
Thanks for your opinion. I'm still fairly new to WJD. How do I extract the most value out of my redemption? How can I easily compare the member pricing and the WS' normal pricing? Is there a way to filter out the basic fares? I have no intention of ever purchasing them.
lsquare is online now  
Old Mar 23, 19, 8:52 am
  #8  
 
Join Date: Jul 2017
Programs: Air Canada 75K, WestJet Platinum, Marriott Titanium
Posts: 58
I've had status with both airlines. It's takes longer to get status with WJ than Delta, but I think it comes down to which airline are you flying with most. You "sort of" get reciprocal treatment with partner airlines but I always find that there are holes in service and support.
jkordyback is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread