Wiki Posts
Search

First WestJet Lounge — March 1

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 9:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Any signs of partner DL elite or confirmed FC customers getting access?
Here’s the WestJet fare-branding confusion...

WestJet “Business class” passengers do get Lounge access. What they call “Business” is the pod offering in the front cabin of the 787. (And only the 787 pods.)

WestJet “Premium class” (formerly “Plus”) don’t get lounge access. (They’re transitioning from “Plus” as a premium economy to “Premium” as a North American J-style offering — ie front cabin w 2x2 seating, dedicated FA, hot meals. But they still seem to refer to it as “Premium economy”.) WestJet’s Premium is equivalent to domestic/transborder “First” on Delta, or “Business” on Air Canada. (Or at least it will be soon, as cabin upgrades are completed.)

So, confirmed WestJet “Business” gets lounge access. But what many passengers would assume is “business class” (ie 2x2 front cabin) is not, in WestJet language, “business class” ... and won’t get you lounge access.

If you’re asking about confirmed FC on Delta-operated flights, I’d assume no access — given that no pax on WestJet-operated transborder flights (including ‘front cabin’) get access today.

But that well could could change as WS inches towards SkyTeam membership (hopefully) and as they try to compete head-on with AC.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:21 pm

Programs: WestJet Platinum, HHonors Diamond
Just stepped into the lounge real quick a moment ago. They are definitely still accepting Priority Pass, but not the Amex card itself. Had a gentlemen try to enter with his Amex while I was getting scanned in, he was told that the lounge didn’t have an agreement with the lounge but if he had Priority Pass that would get him in.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:13 pm

Programs: WJ Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
In the lounge right now on a quiet Thursday evening. Noting similar notes as above: a guest at the desk trying to be admitted with Amex (from what I can gather), quite a bit of chatter from the reps with and I've overheard Amex thrown in here and there.

Observations:
- Reps friendly, one mentioning he was redeeming one of my unlimited vouchers for access.
- Catering staff super helpful, asking guests if they need help finding anything. Nice touch.
- A couple WJ signs up so you know where you're at! Also banner poster indicating new lounge in 2020.
- Food: beef and veggie chili on a new table near the TV, two types of soups, two types of sandwiches. New coffee machines (two of them...that will help for the mornings!) Also a couple bowls of salads (quinoa and pasta), cheese tray, and some yogurts presumably left from the AM.
- Cocktails: similar as before but the wine is different than the past.

All in all, no MLL but they have to start and learn somewhere so all good in my books. Could be swayed tonight as maybe only a dozen or so people in here and the curling is on!
​​​
Old Mar 7, 2019, 8:56 pm

Originally Posted by jimsthe1
All in all, no MLL but they have to start and learn somewhere so all good in my books. Could be swayed tonight as maybe only a dozen or so people in here and the curling is on!
​​​
And that's one of the business things WS is missing from their product. One of the benefits of having a wide network of business lounges like AC and their *A partners have is that when I'm flying I am guaranteed to be able to get work done at the airport. If the flight get delayed, or I end up arriving a bit early I can always unwind at the lounge, use their business centre to print off documents, catch up with correspondence or even join a teleconference using one of the private meeting rooms. And then before I head out to the aircraft I can use the shower to freshen up so that I have a half decent chance of feeling good when I land at my final destination (showers are to the best of my knowledge the only known cure to jet lag).

I will be interested to see if WS expands those lounges out to YYZ and YVR as those are obvious business centres in Canada and major markets WS serves.

Equally important will be if WS re-introduces the flight passes they had in the early 2010's IIRC. Those passes are a differentiator for AC and is one of the reason why many businesses choose to fly AC over WS. Why commit yourself to a specific flight (and all the associated penalties to rebook if you're wrong including fare difference) when you can get a flight pass that lets you book a flight as little as an hour from when you actually need to leave?!

-James
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: airlines and hotels and rental cars - oh my!
I couldn't agree more on the flight passes. Just being able to have the cost controls and predictability is a huge benefit.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by Symmetre
I couldn't agree more on the flight passes. Just being able to have the cost controls and predictability is a huge benefit.
I remember when I had to sell my org on buying flight passes. Management kept asking, why should we spend 25% more on a fare with a flight pass? I then pull up a spreadsheet of historical travel data and point out that whilst we sometimes were able to get cheaper fares, even purchasing at the last minute, we often had to do last minute changes which cost significantly more than had we had the flight pass. In the end it was about the same price to use a flight pass versus the old method of stalking flights a few days prior to departure to find a good deal. And as you pointed out far less stress and hassle!

-James
Old Mar 8, 2019, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: WS Platinum, Marriott Titanium, DL Gold, UA Silver
I’d suggest flight passes are worthy of a separate thread ... a good topic, but not related to the new lounge initiative.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Please please please eventually open lounges in YYZ, YVR and open them all up to future Skyteam partner airlines Delta/KLM/AF/MU, etc...
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:52 pm

Skyteam has a lounge in YVR. Maybe they should open it up to WS.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 1:59 pm

Programs: Skymiles GM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, National EE, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by tracon
Skyteam has a lounge in YVR. Maybe they should open it up to WS.
It is located on the International side unfortunately, and not on the Canada or USA side.
Old Mar 8, 2019, 3:45 pm

The original announcement in Dec 2017 said there would be nine lounges - domestic, transborder and international in each of YYC, YYZ and YVR.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 7:18 am

So the new proper Westjet lounge in YYC won’t open this year?
That is very disappointing.
Westjet should have planned the lounge opening date to be aligned with their 787 service start date...
Old Mar 9, 2019, 10:07 am

Originally Posted by agjil
So the new proper Westjet lounge in YYC won’t open this year?
That is very disappointing.
Westjet should have planned the lounge opening date to be aligned with their 787 service start date...
I suspect it was supposed to be ready sooner as it has been in the plans for a long time now. I don't know the specific reasons behind the delay but it is what it is. I'm not sure if taking over the Chinook Lounge was really part of the plan or just a stop gap measure as the lounge project progressed.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 10:20 am

No doubt the MLL is better, but having a great lounge and sucking at everything else is not what I look for in an airline.
eracerblue likes this.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:35 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat; Air Canada E75K; Westjet Platinum
The AC MLL isn't that great these days as far as food goes. Same food, salad, chips, soup every week. If WJ pays more attention on food quality and variety, that will make a big difference in favor of WJ.
eracerblue likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.