Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New route guesses with 7M8 and 789?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2018, 8:43 am

The business class hubs in YVR and YYZ would not be needed if 787 flights are not operated out of there. The initial emphasis is likely to build more routes out of YYC to begin with to simplify operations until knowledge of the aircraft operation is ingrained. As more aircraft arrive and start to displace current 767 routes, then the 3 major hubs and other secondary airports will see more and more 787 routes as the fleet builds.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AC 35k
Originally Posted by aerobod
YVR-LGW is a few miles further than YVR-HND, currently offered by WestJet for $311 on quite a few days in Oct.
Pretty sure they'd backtrack an hour to save $200.... but maybe not.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC
Originally Posted by newfbc
YVR pax are not going to backtrack to YYC to go to Asia when the Asian carriers are offering dirt cheap direct flights.

I just booked YVR-HND on ANA for $535.. Let's see Westjet compete with that (even when WSJ has ~60 more seats on a 789),

Ron.

YVR-LGW is a few miles further than YVR-HND, currently offered by WestJet for $311 on quite a few days in Oct.

Also a quick look at the ANA annual report (https://www.ana.co.jp/group/en/inves...17/17_E_00.pdf), their 2017 unit cost (¥/ASK) of 9.0 equates to a CASM of 15.9c CAD at current exchange rates, compared with 13.1c for WestJet in 2017. They will have higher costs and revenues for business class tickets, but this will be more than offset by their longer stage length. Basically WestJet can make more profit going head-to-head with ANA at the same ticket price.
Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
Pretty sure they'd backtrack an hour to save $200.... but maybe not.
I wasn't clear.. it is a return YVR-HND flight I booked on ANA for $535..

Ron.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:02 pm

If you take out the excessive UK departure tax (APD) that is $135 compared with $30 for HND, the WestJet YVR-LGW round trip is $680 on quite a few days before adjusting for APD or $575 to compare with the YVR-HND return. With WestJet having a lower operating cost, they shouldn’t have any problem being competitive with ANA who’s cost base is more comparable to Air Canada.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 6:43 pm
Original Poster

They will absolutely have flights ex-YVR and ex-YYZ; however, YVR is already a crowded space for Asia. I will be surprised though if the bulk of the new routes are ex-YYC.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 10:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K
YVR pax are not going to backtrack to YYC to go to Asia when the Asian carriers are offering dirt cheap direct flights.

I just booked YVR-HND on ANA for $535.. Let's see Westjet compete with that (even when WSJ has ~60 more seats on a 789),

Ron.
I also saw that same deal from YYC for less than $600, and a similar Delta one for just over $600. Are those kinds of fares common from YVR? From YYC they are extremely rare and the sale lasted less than 2 days. Pricing to/from Japan is extremely high, and fare wars are rare. Normal pricing is around $1,100 in Y. Specials are sometimes available under $1,100 but rarely the type of deal we saw this week.

Therefore, I think either a YVR/YYC to NRT/HND route would be an obvious fit. They could bring the normal price down to $800-ish, and still fill the plane with a mix of O/D, and connections from all over Canada, but especially the west. YYC-NRT is only a little further than YYC-LGW, and they seem to be able to make the LGW route work just fine with $700 fares and a plane which burns ~15-20% more fuel per seat mile.
Old Sep 26, 2018, 11:34 pm

Originally Posted by david_oz
YYC-NRT is only a little further than YYC-LGW, and they seem to be able to make the LGW route work just fine with $700 fares and a plane which burns ~15-20% more fuel per seat mile.
Although there is a significant seat mile fuel saving between a 320 seat 789 and a 262 seat 763, the lease or amortized ownership cost for the 789 is about US$700K per month higher, while it’s maintenance cost initially will be lower to offset this somewhat. On the other hand compensation / cancellation costs due to a lower dispatch ratio on the 763 would also sway the economics back towards the 789.

A year or so ago I did some calculations that indicated that US$80 is the magic number for the price of oil - below that number the 262 seat 763 has the lower seat mile cost, above that number the 320 seat 789 has the lower seat mile cost, based on a 4000 mile stage length, above that stage length the 789 is more economical, below the 763 is.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 8:01 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by david_oz
Therefore, I think either a YVR/YYC to NRT/HND route would be an obvious fit. They could bring the normal price down to $800-ish, and still fill the plane with a mix of O/D, and connections from all over Canada, but especially the west. YYC-NRT is only a little further than YYC-LGW, and they seem to be able to make the LGW route work just fine with $700 fares and a plane which burns ~15-20% more fuel per seat mile.
If WS does YYC-NRT you can kiss AC 010 goodbye. Hopefully WS offers new service and doesn't just try to poach AC's routes or that of other carriers. We don't need YYC to be a fortress hub for WS. Hopefully they also stay out of AMS, FRA and PEK. Alternatives would be HND, PVG and CDG.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 11:30 am

If WS does YYC-NRT you can kiss AC 010 goodbye.... Alternatives would be HND...
HND is looking to open up slots in advance of the Olympics so wonder if we will see WS slide right on in there. Then perhaps AC would still service NRT.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 1:23 pm

Programs: AC 75K, BA Gold, Marriott Platinum, National EE, Sixt Platinum, Hertz PC, AVIS PC

Although there is a significant seat mile fuel saving between a 320 seat 789...
320 Seats... is that a world record for this aircraft?

Ron.
Old Sep 27, 2018, 2:42 pm

320 Seats... is that a world record for this aircraft?

Ron.
Not at all, Norwegian has 344 (309 economy + 35 economy plus) and aircraft can be configured up to 406 seats in an economy only layout.
Heffeh41 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
If WS does YYC-NRT you can kiss AC 010 goodbye. Hopefully WS offers new service and doesn't just try to poach AC's routes or that of other carriers. We don't need YYC to be a fortress hub for WS. Hopefully they also stay out of AMS, FRA and PEK. Alternatives would be HND, PVG and CDG.
Didn't they just cancel this route? I dont think you can go YYC-NRT direct anymore, which sucks.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 6:29 am

According to my friend who works for AC in YYC, the YYC-NRT portion has become a summer seasonal route.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:12 am

Programs: AC Basic, UA MP Gold, Marriott Gold Elite, SPG Gold, Amex Platinum
I'm assuming you have Nexus, it took my son 30 mins to get through coming off WS2 with my wife and I in Sept, as he doesn't have a Nexus card. We went straight to the Nexus machines with only about 1/3 of them being used at that time, then straight through the middle lane without talking to an immigration officer, just handing the customs printout in as we exited the baggage hall.
A couple of procedural points that Aerobod probably all ready knows, but the additional context is worth repeating for the less informed readers. What Aerobod did in having wife and himself use the Nexus lanes while son used the regular lane is possible only because son is over 18 and has flown out of the family nest. It is a common way for Nexus users to lose their membership by dividing the family along Nexus vs non-Nexus paths. If the kids are living at home or are under 18, the whole family must cross the border as a group, so the Nexus holders cannot use the Nexus lanes however they can use the Nexus card if originating from the USA.

This is especially important at land crossing. If one person doesn't have their nexus card, the group must use the regular lanes.

Again the context is important as inadvertent loss of Nexus cards resulting from attempting to split the family into Nexus / non-Nexus subgroups.

Backtracking and unusual routings are quite common in the international high value frequent traveler market. For example, I know a lot of AC Super Elites that split their YYZ-Asia travels between the nonstop flights and connecting through YVR and YYC-NRT. Any routing involves the whole day travelling, so an inefficient routing is no loss of time. When you are flying 1-2 times per month the monotony of same routing gets boring. Toss in the minor inconveniences/obstacles at any airport and the change in routing can brighten the travelers spirits.

The other factor in pushing frequent travelers to an inefficient routing is because they desire trying out the new airline. In this case the YVR based traveler would go through YYC to try out WS new premium international service. This is especially true if the flyer has a positive experience on other WS flights or if the traveler doesn't like the incumbent airlines.

Again, the point is that in absolute number of people, the market is small. However because this group travels very frequently their impact on traffic is huge.

Originally Posted by Error 601
Does Terminal 3 have the available capacity to add anything?
With the re-opening of the infield terminal through T3 for groundside operations, yes there is capacity for additional international flights.

AMS doesn't make sense as KLM runs that route.
AMS makes perfect sense if WS can do a JV with AF/KLM, and this JV is on WS program. Further, its a Canadian that is CEO of AF/KLM Group that has intimate knowledge of Western Canada to Europe market. Further this CEO needs to make a number of quick changes to improve the bottom line. Finally this same CEO of AF/KL was pilloried by YEG Airport and YEG mayor when YEG-LHR got cancelled due to unprofitable route resulting from competition. While this CEO is too professional to let personal grudge get into business dealings, if YEG-AMS has troubles there will be know hesitation to cut the route in favour better opportunities.

To sum it up; WS flying YYC-AMS daily as a joint venture with AF/KLM make perfect sense, especially if YEG traffic must connect through YYC. WS would put its code onto KL YVR-AMS. For YYZ-AMS the companies would split services each with 1 daily flight.
Old Oct 1, 2018, 10:27 am

Originally Posted by WR Cage
A couple of procedural points that Aerobod probably all ready knows, but the additional context is worth repeating for the less informed readers. What Aerobod did in having wife and himself use the Nexus lanes while son used the regular lane is possible only because son is over 18 and has flown out of the family nest. It is a common way for Nexus users to lose their membership by dividing the family along Nexus vs non-Nexus paths. If the kids are living at home or are under 18, the whole family must cross the border as a group, so the Nexus holders cannot use the Nexus lanes however they can use the Nexus card if originating from the USA.

This is especially important at land crossing. If one person doesn't have their nexus card, the group must use the regular lanes.

Again the context is important as inadvertent loss of Nexus cards resulting from attempting to split the family into Nexus / non-Nexus subgroups.
Yes, thanks for pointing that out WR Cage, always a drag when at land crossings with non-NEXUS people. Luckily my son is 28 and has his own house, enabling us to travel separately through airports, better still when he has his own transport from the airport and we don't have to wait for him.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.