Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > WestJet | WestJet Rewards
Reload this Page >

Tips for getting Plus seats at check in?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2017, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Hi all,
Family of three flying WS first time this Friday. Look like the flight is sold out, ie not for sale anymore. There are currently 7 plus seats that are not assigned out of the 12. I am hoping to get the plus seats at check in with additional cost.
I will get ready to check in at the 24hours mark. I already input my passport info since it is a transborder flight.
Any one have any other tips for me to grab the plus seat at check in? Do they offer plus seat to a booking with 3 people? Is it possible there are plus fare holder without seat assigned?

It is a 4 plus hours flight, so hoping to get little comfy on this trip.

Thank you all for reading!
Old Dec 12, 2017, 1:20 pm

Programs: AC 35k
If the seats are open you can get them. All depends on demand, how manuy Golds on the flight and if they upgraded before you or not.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: WestJet
No real tips for getting the upgrade to Plus seating other than you must be VERY fast to get them. They will go within minutes of the 24 hour check in period and even once you select them they won't be yours until your payment is processed through, so you could have to go back and select the seats that are open again.

Yes it is possible that there are people in the Plus section that haven't selected their seats yet, they could be booked through a travel agents, booked online and they skipped that step, or other reasons. There is no way to know for sure until the 24 hour check in point at which it is open season.

The price for the seat will vary from $50-236 depending on the destination and length of flight.

As for the comment about how many gold members there are on the flight that has no bearing on if you can get a Plus seat or not. The only benefit that a Plus member gets are vouchers that they can take to the gate agent and upgrade, if there is still a seat open after all the check in is done. As a Gold member we get no extra other than that as our seat selection vouchers don't allow us to upgrade to Plus without paying.
tcook052 likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 5:53 pm

Originally Posted by jljr1
As for the comment about how many gold members there are on the flight that has no bearing on if you can get a Plus seat or not. The only benefit that a Plus member gets are vouchers that they can take to the gate agent and upgrade, if there is still a seat open after all the check in is done. As a Gold member we get no extra other than that as our seat selection vouchers don't allow us to upgrade to Plus without paying.
I thought Golds could upgrade at the upgrade price before the 24 hour window.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
I thought Golds could upgrade at the upgrade price before the 24 hour window.
Anyone can upgrade at the 24 hour check in window not just gold level. We get nothing extra a check in time when it comes to getting the upgrade. If a non WestJet rewards member wants they can upgrade too. At the 24 hour check in it is open to everyone. The only thing that gold level members will get is 3 vouchers that they can use right at the gate to upgrade, if there is a seat open. Other than that they get nothing. Gold gets 2 free checked bags, seat vouchers, lounger vouchers, priority screening/boarding, companion fares, and additional earning power.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by jljr1
Anyone can upgrade at the 24 hour check in window not just gold level. We get nothing extra a check in time when it comes to getting the upgrade. If a non WestJet rewards member wants they can upgrade too. At the 24 hour check in it is open to everyone. The only thing that gold level members will get is 3 vouchers that they can use right at the gate to upgrade, if there is a seat open. Other than that they get nothing. Gold gets 2 free checked bags, seat vouchers, lounger vouchers, priority screening/boarding, companion fares, and additional earning power.
No, I thought WS was trialing allowing Gold members to upgrade PRIOR to the 24 hr window at the same price. I know anyone else can at 24 hours. Presumbly this means Golds get early access and if this is true, the number of Golds would impact your chances of upgrading.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by YXUFlyboy
No, I thought WS was trialing allowing Gold members to upgrade PRIOR to the 24 hr window at the same price. I know anyone else can at 24 hours. Presumbly this means Golds get early access and if this is true, the number of Golds would impact your chances of upgrading.
Not that I have ever seen. I’ve been Gold for the past 2 years and never had access to them ahead of time. I’ve only ever gotten the gate vouchers that allow me to upgrade for free if there’s still a seat at the gate in Plus. Gold gets no early access to the plus seats unless we want to book them like everyone else at the full price. I wish we did get that as I would use it each time I fly, but we don’t. In fact I just called the special gold line for WestJet and they’ve confirmed no we don’t get early access to them. We can upgrade at the 24 hour period like everyone else.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

Thank for all the tips!
Will try to be fast at check in. Still 7 plus seats left at the moment, but what is interesting is half of the regular seats are now occupied compare to only handful of occupied seats few days ago. Since the flight is sold out more than a week ago, it means people come back to the booking in the last two days to purchase seat assignments.
We are in the less desirable seats right now, (so no cost but don't want to stuck in them), will the seat assignment fee be refunded if we purchase the Plus seat at check in? (My search indicated no refund, just want to confirm if this is true.)
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:00 pm

Programs: Westjet
Effective November 13, 2017 WestJet is trialing an opportunity for Gold Rewards members to receive early access (48 hours prior to departure) to purchase an upgrade to Plus for a fee (regular Plus upgrade fees will apply).

During this test period, you will need to proactively call into the Gold priority support number (available through the WestJet app) to purchase your upgrade (you will not receive an automated email notifying you that advance purchase is now available). At the 24-hour mark, purchase of Plus upgrades will be available to all guests via online check-in. (available through the WestJet app) to purchase your upgrade (you will not receive an automated email notifying you that advance purchase is now available). At the 24-hour mark, purchase of Plus upgrades will be available to all guests via online check-in.
pedantic likes this.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:18 pm

Originally Posted by neuro0
Thank for all the tips!
Will try to be fast at check in. Still 7 plus seats left at the moment, but what is interesting is half of the regular seats are now occupied compare to only handful of occupied seats few days ago. Since the flight is sold out more than a week ago, it means people come back to the booking in the last two days to purchase seat assignments.
We are in the less desirable seats right now, (so no cost but don't want to stuck in them), will the seat assignment fee be refunded if we purchase the Plus seat at check in? (My search indicated no refund, just want to confirm if this is true.)
To my knowledge no refund will be given if you decide to move seats at the time of check in. They would only refund if you were bumped seats.
Old Dec 13, 2017, 8:40 pm
Original Poster

One more question, do I just select the plus seat during online check in? or there is a screen during the online check in process that solicit the plus seats?

It is within 48 hours now,still same 7 seats left, fingers cross!
Old Dec 13, 2017, 11:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by neuro0
One more question, do I just select the plus seat during online check in? or there is a screen during the online check in process that solicit the plus seats?
IIRC there's an icon to upgrade to Plus and you walk through, pick your seat and pay the UG fee online and print your BP.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kpdrmn
Effective November 13, 2017 WestJet is trialing an opportunity for Gold Rewards members to receive early access (48 hours prior to departure) to purchase an upgrade to Plus for a fee (regular Plus upgrade fees will apply).

During this test period, you will need to proactively call into the Gold priority support number (available through the WestJet app) to purchase your upgrade (you will not receive an automated email notifying you that advance purchase is now available). At the 24-hour mark, purchase of Plus upgrades will be available to all guests via online check-in. (available through the WestJet app) to purchase your upgrade (you will not receive an automated email notifying you that advance purchase is now available). At the 24-hour mark, purchase of Plus upgrades will be available to all guests via online check-in.
Some Golds know it, it is down to 5 Plus seats now.
Old Dec 14, 2017, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by tcook052
IIRC there's an icon to upgrade to Plus and you walk through, pick your seat and pay the UG fee online and print your BP.
Print my boarding pass? I guess I'll take a horse-drawn carriage to the airport while I'm at it.

Old Dec 14, 2017, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Originally Posted by mxqisit
Print my boarding pass? I guess I'll take a horse-drawn carriage to the airport while I'm at it.

To each their own. I've lost count of the number of phone fumblers who hold up the line at security.
MichaelBaku likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.