Fare option changes 17 January

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue
Fare option changes 17 January

According to this page on westjet.com:

https://www.westjet.com/en-ca/travel...-fares/options

It looks like the current conditions for Econo, Flex and Plus fares could be changing on or soon after January 17th (the line of text above the table).

I'm new to the WS forum, so please forgive me if I'm asking an ignorant or already-answered question, but does anybody know what changes are afoot? I've just made quite an expensive transatlantic Plus booking and it would be a hassle to cancel and rebook if the terms suddenly look more attractive.

Thanks in advance for the advice.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AC 35k
If you look below the 17th table on the WestJet site, you can see the changes. Basically, all fees are increasing and they are adding a separate category column for travel to Europe.
Old Jan 12, 2017, 3:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Blue
Thank you... I swear that second table wasn't there yesterday!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:47 am

So the Econo and Flex fares now have completely matching fees on the 'Flexibility' tab, no more discounts on anything. Not sure how that's keeping with the 'Flex' name.

However, it does show seat selections from 0-59 for Flex (vs 5-59 for Econo), so perhaps free basic seat selection is included now, which would be in keeping with AC's Flex fare.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 3:14 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
OUCH. Those are some greedy greedy change fees.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:11 pm

Higher change fees for Europe? Of course, they have higher voltage in Europe, which WestJet's computers must endure when you change a European booking. Makes total sense.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:15 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
So with these changes, the only difference in Econo vs Flex is the inclusion of first checked bag and seat selection (not including exit row), which is worth about $60 on a YVR-YYZ. No longer any difference in change fees. I wonder if the fare differential will change - currently usually about $100.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 12:17 pm

Originally Posted by catarina
So with these changes, the only difference in Econo vs Flex is the inclusion of first checked bag and seat selection (not including exit row), which is worth about $60 on a YVR-YYZ.
Or zero, for Gold members.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 1:16 pm

Programs: SPG Platinum, Marriott Platinum, WS Gold, Hertz PC, NationalEE, Hyatt Explorist, IHGGold, BW Diamond
[QUOTE=sokolov;27765361]Or zero, for Gold

Yes, these changes do not affect me, however the increase of itinerary change fee to $100 is annoying. I receive SDFC but my husband does not.
Old Jan 15, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Mileage Plus, WestJet Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by sokolov
Higher change fees for Europe? Of course, they have higher voltage in Europe, which WestJet's computers must endure when you change a European booking. Makes total sense.
Good explanation. It is all celar now.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 7:41 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: HH Silver
Everything is relative as WS still has a relatively low non-refundable amount on EU flights compared to other scheduled airlines which can be in the $300 - $400 range.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:51 am

Programs: Aeroplan
I'm looking at a 1 stop from YHZ to YWG.. Outbound Econo is $275, Flex is $602. Similar price difference on the way back? Why would I pay $300+ each way for seat selection and a free bag. It doesn't make sense to me at all.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:59 am

It is a trap for the uneducated who think "Flex" means flexible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.