Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Visiting the Rockies over New Year's Eve

Search this Thread

Old Nov 3, 2019, 10:38 pm
Original Poster

Visiting the Rockies over New Year's Eve

I just booked two flights to Denver, CO for my wife and I over the holidays.

We're planning to spend a couple of nights in Denver and then maybe drive to Boulder for a night and then into the Rockies.

Does anyone have suggestions for places to consider and things to do at this time of year?

We're flying in 12/27 and planning to spend New Year's in the mountains returning around 01/03.

I've booked a Superior Room at The Stanley just to be safe but I was hoping to be more secluded in nature. It seems this is about as close to RMNP as you can get for lodging but the whole area seems pretty touristy and not that charming. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.

Anyhow, I'm looking for suggestions on where to go and what to do in wintertime in the Rocky Mountains. How would you spend 3-4 nights if you had the opportunity?

Lastly, how accessible will the nat'l park be at this time of year? Is it easy to drive through with a rental car and would it likely come equipped with snow tires at this time of year? Are snows even necessary? What about 2wd vs 4wd in the park? Would there be any road closures or sections of the park that are less accessible at this time? We're not hardcore outdoor adventurists. We enjoy amateur level hiking, snowshoeing, x-country skiing. Neither of us have any gear. We're mostly just interested in getting lost in nature and experiencing beautiful scenery, wildlife, solitude, etc.

Our tentative itinerary looks like this:

12/27-30 @ Brown Palace, Denver - (arriving evening so 2 full days to plan & need recommendations)
12/30-31 @ Boulderado Hotel, Boulder
12/31-01/03 @ Stanley Hotel, Estes Park - (need suggestions to fill 3 full days in this area)

Does this look okay or should I make adjustments to where & for how long we stay?

Also since I'm probably driving from Denver to Estes, is there any reason to also drive the Mount Evans Scenic Byway from Idaho Springs to Summit Lake while staying in Denver? Will the scenic road be accessible in late-December/early-January? It looks like an incredible drive from the photos I've seen online and I'm inclined to try and do it, but maybe not if it just repeats what we'll be experiencing from Estes into RMNP.

Last edited by cblaisd; Nov 4, 2019 at 7:49 am Reason: merged poster's two consecutive posts
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:17 am

I've booked a Superior Room at The Stanley just to be safe but I was hoping to be more secluded in nature. It seems this is about as close to RMNP as you can get for lodging but the whole area seems pretty touristy and not that charming. I could be wrong but that's the impression I get.
Estes is indeed pretty touristy. Still a beautiful spot, and if you are planning on spending time in RMNP I wouldn't hesitate to stay in town or nearby if you can find an AirBnB. You will find plenty of easy to moderate hiking options in RMNP. Whether you will need snowshoes or not depends on the trail and if it has snowed recently. Some trails that get good sun exposure can melt out in between storms, others will stay snowpacked all winter.

Lastly, how accessible will the nat'l park be at this time of year? Is it easy to drive through with a rental car and would it likely come equipped with snow tires at this time of year? Are snows even necessary? What about 2wd vs 4wd in the park? Would there be any road closures or sections of the park that are less accessible at this time?
The high alpine part of the park will be inaccessible. Trail Ridge Road closed for the season last week. You can still see some alpine lakes elsewhere in the park. My favorite in the winter is Emerald Lake (https://www.alltrails.com/trail/us/c...ald-lake-trail). It's only 5k round trip and stunning on a clear winter day. If it's been a couple days since the last snowstorm 2WD would be fine, even without snow tires. It's what I own and have driven into the park in winter many times. But if snow is in the forecast you will absolutely want 4WD or snow tires. I doubt rental companies at DIA will provide snow tires. An important note if you venture west, and new this year, technically all cars driving on I-70 west of Denver are required to carry chains, have snow tires, or all wheel drive at all times.

Mt. Evans Highway is also closed for the season, so unfortunately you will not be able to visit Summit Lake.

I think your plan is great if you haven't spent time in Denver, Boulder, or Estes. If you really want seclusion, though, you aren't going to find a whole lot of it with your current itinerary. Even in winter the most popular trails in RMNP will be bustling. We don't let a little cold cramp our outdoor lifestyle
Old Nov 4, 2019, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Thanks so much!! That is really helpful!!

How would you choose to spend your 3 days in and around Estes while visiting RMNP?

Also is it true that the Stanley Hotel feels like a circus with swarms of day visitors coming for the Shining connection? They really seem to play that angle up with all the silly ghost tours. Is it ever calm and quiet there around New Years?

How would you spend 2 days in Denver?

Thanks again!!
Old Nov 4, 2019, 12:28 pm

Programs: Marriott (Silver/Gold), IHG, Carlson, Best Western, Choice( Gold), AS (MVP), WN, UA
If you want more seclusion I would look near a town that is not gateway to a national park nor a ski resort.

that said---near some ski resorts you could rent a house that is up in the mountains away from the ski resort and the town.

This was over 20 yearsago...over a thanskgiving we had a family reunion in my mothers side of the family where we rented a large home that could sleep about 25 of us.

the place was in the mountains at around 10,000 feet below tree line above breckenridge on the opposite side of the ski area. You had seclusion there. We were there thursday-Saturday for full days. on Friday and Saturdays us 20somethings at the time did skiingg on thursday and friday, around where we were staying there were not crowds.
OliverB likes this.
Old Nov 4, 2019, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
The Boulderado Hotel in Boulder is a historic kind of lodging, and may offer more realistic reflections on Colorado's impressive past than possibly the Stanley.
Additionally, the short walk to the open air Pearl Street Mall may offer some shopping and restaurant experiences that will not be in the Stanley.

You may want to confirm the availability of parking while staying at the Boulderado Hotel.

For a history related, fine quality restaurant near Boulder, you may want to drive to the Greenbrier Inn. If it is snowing on the drive (level ground), you may find the Greenbrier Inn really romantic.
OliverB likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.