Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Donner Pass Advice

Search this Thread

Old Sep 22, 2016, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Donner Pass Advice

Hey everyone, I'm flying into Reno December 9th and was wondering about my chances, to cross Donner Pass/Truckee Pass using a rental, without snow chains?

No rental car company allows renting chains for a car that I know off, so while I would have liked to visit Lake Tahoe before crossing over into California; I don't know if that will be feasible in December.

Last year I visited Portland in the same time frame and it was dry and warm. No snow to be had anywhere down the West Coast. It felt like summer. Not sure if the weather will repeat itself this year. My back-up plan is to drive south to Vegas if I can't cross any of the passes.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 2:55 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
You shouldn't have any problem driving to Tahoe. I've been to Tahoe during the winter months and rarely had to use chains.

Actual heavy snow fall in the Tahoe area and passes, even in the dead of winter, is intermittent. Watch the weather forecast and you shouldn't have any problems dodging any major storms. Even when the passes do get heavy snow, they are typically cleared and passable again within a day or rarely 2. And December 9th will be early in the snowy season further reducing the chances of heavy snow closing the passes.

Heading south out of Reno through Carson City to South Lake Tahoe is a good route to consider.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 5:47 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere
You shouldn't have any problem driving to Tahoe. I've been to Tahoe during the winter months and rarely had to use chains.

Actual heavy snow fall in the Tahoe area and passes, even in the dead of winter, is intermittent. Watch the weather forecast and you shouldn't have any problems dodging any major storms. Even when the passes do get heavy snow, they are typically cleared and passable again within a day or rarely 2. And December 9th will be early in the snowy season further reducing the chances of heavy snow closing the passes.
Concur

Heading south out of Reno through Carson City to South Lake Tahoe is a good route to consider.
I would do it the other direction -- I-80 Reno to Truckee/Donner pass, then then south on CA267/NV28, then U.S. 50 east down the hill to Carson City. The drive on the east side of Lake Taho is lovely, and the views coming down the into Carson City can be breathtaking.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: UA 1MM Gold, Hertz Gold, Hyatt, Marriott
Unlike the other repliers to your post, I urge much greater caution. At the very least, make sure you have a brush to wipe away snow from your windshield and rear window. Even better, don't even think of driving if there is a forecast of snow. I have actually driven on Donner Pass during snow in JUNE! Luckily only minor snow in June, as you might expect. But still, it was frightening to see snow falling on my rental car as I was driving through Donner Pass in June.

Perhaps the other posters will call me a wimp, but I believe I am offering prudent advice. All best wishes to the OP.
Old Sep 22, 2016, 7:48 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by cogitate
Unlike the other repliers to your post, I urge much greater caution. At the very least, make sure you have a brush to wipe away snow from your windshield and rear window.
Good advice, but I've never rented a car at RNO that didn't have a brush/scraper in it.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
I am not as sanguine about your prospects as everyone else in this thread so far. December is winter weather, and precipitation that falls in the passes is likely to be snow. During and shortly after snowfall it is likely there will be chain restrictions. You'll need to monitor the weather forecast and plan your driving around it.
Old Sep 23, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
I am not as sanguine about your prospects as everyone else in this thread so far. December is winter weather, and precipitation that falls in the passes is likely to be snow. During and shortly after snowfall it is likely there will be chain restrictions. You'll need to monitor the weather forecast and plan your driving around it.
Agreed. While the "odds are good" that you will be fine, it would not be historically unusual for there to be a consecutive day or two with chain restrictions. If there are whiteout conditions, expect the road to be closed completely for a time. (This doesn't occur very frequently.)
Old Sep 24, 2016, 12:41 am

Another vote for a careful monitoring of the weather. I've driven Donner Pass quite a few times in extreme weather, and it ain't fun. Nor is getting funneled off the road and stuck someplace with no hotel rooms or restaurants for 18 hours until the road reopens.

To the OP about chains: in that area there are stores that will sell you chains and allow you to return them if they are unused. Once when we needed new chains for a new car, we bought them at a Walmart outside Sacramento and the clerk offered right up front to take them back if they weren't used. I know there's a Walmart in Reno; if the weather is iffy, you might consider getting a set as insurance.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:22 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
BTW, when I saw the thread title Donner Pass Advice my first thought was, "Tip: bring enough food for yourself and everyone in the party."
Old Sep 24, 2016, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LAX2Anywhere

Thanks. I plan to watch the weather like a hawk.

Originally Posted by cblaisd

I would do it the other direction -- I-80 Reno to Truckee/Donner pass, then then south on CA267/NV28, then U.S. 50 east down the hill to Carson City. The drive on the east side of Lake Taho is lovely, and the views coming down the into Carson City can be breathtaking.
Googled map that route you laid out and it looks interesting. I'll do it.

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Another vote for a careful monitoring of the weather. I've driven Donner Pass quite a few times in extreme weather, and it ain't fun. Nor is getting funneled off the road and stuck someplace with no hotel rooms or restaurants for 18 hours until the road reopens.

To the OP about chains: in that area there are stores that will sell you chains and allow you to return them if they are unused. Once when we needed new chains for a new car, we bought them at a Walmart outside Sacramento and the clerk offered right up front to take them back if they weren't used. I know there's a Walmart in Reno; if the weather is iffy, you might consider getting a set as insurance.
I do plan to watch the weather.

The problem with that is the rental car companies prohibit it and I'd have to find someone to install it since living in a sunny country year round; I know squat about snow chains. I have read that there are people on the pass who install/take it off for a fee, but will the rental car company notice damage to the tires, is what I ask myself with that plan.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
BTW, when I saw the thread title Donner Pass Advice my first thought was, "Tip: bring enough food for yourself and everyone in the party."
LOL

Got that covered. No plan to add to history in that way

Thanks for the all the responses guys. I plan to monitor the weather closely and book a backup refundable ticket to fly, just in case I won't be able to cross due to weather.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
I lived in North Lake Tahoe for 4 years. While your chances are good, I recommend checking weather forecast for the few days before you go and intend to return. Nothing worst than being stuck up there - I once tried to drive a 'vette from RNO to Incline Village via NV431. Had to turn back, go south on US 50 to NV28 which was a better-cleared (and lower elevation) major road.

As for chains, there are licensed chain installers at the chain-up areas but if the chains come loose, any resulting damage is going to be on your dime. It's not damage to the tires but to the fenders/wheel well from metal being whipped around at high speeds. They say chains are better than cables as far as not breaking. I never used cables but had (real) chains.

Road conditions are R1, R2 ad R3.

R1: Chains are required - snow tread tires allowed.
R2: Chains are required on all vehicles except four wheel drive vehicles with snow tires on all four wheels.
R3: Chains are required - all vehicles - no exceptions.
R1 and R2 are the most common conditions. The highway is usually closed before an R3 condition is imposed.
http://www.dot.ca.gov/hq/roadinfo/wo.htm
Old Sep 24, 2016, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

California Highway 70 is often a good alternative to I-80 when snow is coming down.
Old Sep 24, 2016, 11:40 pm

Originally Posted by Yellowjj
The problem with that is the rental car companies prohibit it and I'd have to find someone to install it since living in a sunny country year round; I know squat about snow chains. I have read that there are people on the pass who install/take it off for a fee, but will the rental car company notice damage to the tires, is what I ask myself with that plan.
Correctly installed chains should not damage either the tires or the car; key word being "Correctly". But it's not that difficult, even my ex, who seriously lacks mechanical aptitude, could do it.

Now that I think about it, it's time to get the chains and winter emergency gear out of the basement and stick them back in the car. Thanks for making me think of that.

Nor sure what your route is meant to be, but keep in mind Amtrak runs from Reno to Sacramento with several stops along the way. It will often be running when the roads are still a mess.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 5:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CDTraveler
Correctly installed chains should not damage either the tires or the car; key word being "Correctly". But it's not that difficult, even my ex, who seriously lacks mechanical aptitude, could do it.

Now that I think about it, it's time to get the chains and winter emergency gear out of the basement and stick them back in the car. Thanks for making me think of that.

Nor sure what your route is meant to be, but keep in mind Amtrak runs from Reno to Sacramento with several stops along the way. It will often be running when the roads are still a mess.
I probably would be able to install them no problem and I actually might attempt to anyway. More knowledge is always good to have.

I actually have no route planned. 'Cblaisd' mentioned a nice route for the lake but other than that, nothing is really concrete. I would enjoy crossing over into California via the pass and scratching it off my non existent bucket list mentally; but of course this all depends on the weather at the time.
Old Sep 25, 2016, 9:07 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Try to rent a Subaru.

I spent a winter in Mammoth Lakes. The California authorities would regularly have check-points inspecting for snow chains. All Subarus were just waved through.

I'm sure this is not a written regulation.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.