Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel Recommendations for Phoenix

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HA, DL, UA, PC Gold, A/club Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Pl
Hotel Recommendations for Phoenix

Making my first visit to Phoenix this spring. Just looking for general tips on what "area" is best to stay on.

I'll probably be using points so I want some value. Will rent a car. Looking to stay 5 days.

Will also be starting a weekend in scottsdale to end the trip.
Old Dec 2, 2015, 8:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Phoenix itself? Scottsdale? Elsewhere such as Tempe?

What are your interests? Traveling alone?

What hotel programs?
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:43 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
When specifically in spring? Typically March and April are peak times (Jan-Feb are usually busy as well), and hotel rates usually peak.

Where to stay really depends on what you'd like to do, balanced of course with budget. Generally out in Chandler/Gilbert you can still find reasonable prices on hotels, even when other areas will be at $300-500/night.

Phoenix and Scottsdale border each other. There probably isn't a need to change properties, unless you're looking for something specific in Scottsdale and you'd rather not be in that area for the rest of your trip.

The metro Phoenix area is quite spread out, and it could easily take an hour to travel through. During heavy rush hour, much more.
Old Dec 3, 2015, 8:55 am

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
I second the other replies above: Tell us what you want to do, and we can provide several target hotels that fit your interests.

Do you want to do some:
Hiking
Biking
Dining
Shooting
Motorcycling
Shopping
Golfing
Fishing
etc.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Phoenix itself? Scottsdale? Elsewhere such as Tempe?

What are your interests? Traveling alone?

What hotel programs?
Just general area...sight seeing..traveling with a partner.

Hotel Programs: probably spg, hyatt and hilton
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by aztimm
When specifically in spring? Typically March and April are peak times (Jan-Feb are usually busy as well), and hotel rates usually peak.

Where to stay really depends on what you'd like to do, balanced of course with budget. Generally out in Chandler/Gilbert you can still find reasonable prices on hotels, even when other areas will be at $300-500/night.

Phoenix and Scottsdale border each other. There probably isn't a need to change properties, unless you're looking for something specific in Scottsdale and you'd rather not be in that area for the rest of your trip.

The metro Phoenix area is quite spread out, and it could easily take an hour to travel through. During heavy rush hour, much more.
I plan to fly there on 3/27...then meet up with a family reunion in scottsdale on 4/1.

If i'm paying cash i'm probably looking to spend around 100-130$ range if possible.

My family reunion will be at the new scottsdale embassy suites..but i'm looking to stay somewhere slightly cheaper for that.
Old Dec 4, 2015, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Wilbur
I second the other replies above: Tell us what you want to do, and we can provide several target hotels that fit your interests.

Do you want to do some:
Hiking
Biking
Dining
Shooting
Motorcycling
Shopping
Golfing
Fishing
etc.
mainly just sight seeing of the area. Probably the biggest thing would be dining for me..although Im not the type to spend $$$$ on meals..
Old Dec 5, 2015, 1:29 pm

Programs: AA 2MM - UA 1P / Hyatt Diamond - SPG Plat / Hertz 5* - Avis 1st
Originally Posted by bitachu
mainly just sight seeing of the area. Probably the biggest thing would be dining for me..although Im not the type to spend $$$$ on meals..
If you are coming to Scottsdale or Paradise Valley, the Winter and Spring are the best time to redeem hotel points. This is because a hotel room that costs ~$200 per day in July can cost ~$500 per day in February, so the dollar value received per point redeemed ratio is very favorable from October to May.

This is particularly true of place like the Hyatt Gainey Ranch, or the Westin Kierland, or the Phoenician, where redeeming a room for four or five days can run to $2,500-$3,000 without much effort. These are all terrific resorts, and the redemption rates (if you can find availability) can be very attractive. Furthermore, they are all nicely located for starting road trips, using the hotel-provided bicycles, walks along the greenways or the canals, etc.

Some dining recommendations from those of us who like hole-in-the-wall places with great food and limited, um, ambience. These are all places who will serve you tasty, inexpensive dishes but will never appear in any style magazine.

Pho:
Saigon Nites, 15111 N Hayden Rd, Scottsdale
Saigon Seafood, 1381 N Alma School Rd, Chandler

Indian:
Jewel of the Crown, on the west side of the Scottsdale Civic Center Mall, 7373 Civic Center

Sushi:
Sakana, 6989 Hayden Rd, Scottsdale
SushiKo, 9301 E Shea, Scottsdale

American:
Mrs. White's Golden Rule Cafe, 808 E Jefferson St, Phoenix
Lolo's Chicken and Waffles, 1220 S Central, Phoenix
America's Taco Shop, 7001 E 1st St, Scottsdale
Arcadia Cafe, right across the street from America's

And of course if you want trendier places, all of Old Town Scottsdale is full of coffee bars, restaurants, faux Mexican places, sports bars, hip diners, etc. within staggering distance of each other, the canal, and the free Scottsdale trolley.

Last edited by Wilbur; Dec 5, 2015 at 1:30 pm Reason: cain't spel
Old Dec 5, 2015, 2:55 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
We stayed back in August and had a great time. Similar to you didn't want to spend a fortune on food and drink. First part of the trip we stayed at the Biltmore and second part the Doubletree Paradise valley.

For food and drink two places not to miss:

http://www.angrycrabshack.com/angryr

http://www.zippssportsgrills.com/ Good happy hours

we also went to Don and Charlies. Food not overly expensive, large portions and great service.

http://donandcharlies.com/

and just remembered

http://www.saltysow.com/
Old Dec 7, 2015, 8:45 pm

I plan to fly there on 3/27...then meet up with a family reunion in scottsdale on 4/1.

If i'm paying cash i'm probably looking to spend around 100-130$ range if possible.

My family reunion will be at the new scottsdale embassy suites..but i'm looking to stay somewhere slightly cheaper for that.
Baseball Spring Training will be wrapping up on your dates - this is the height of high season and hotels will be expensive. Your budget is doable but you might have to accept staying in an area somewhat removed from those that typically interest tourists. Maybe check out hotels along I-17, perhaps the Sheraton Crescent or Hyatt Place North Phoenix. Or as others suggested, if you have points this is a good time to burn 'em.
Old Dec 11, 2015, 3:23 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ibdsux
Baseball Spring Training will be wrapping up on your dates - this is the height of high season and hotels will be expensive. Your budget is doable but you might have to accept staying in an area somewhat removed from those that typically interest tourists. Maybe check out hotels along I-17, perhaps the Sheraton Crescent or Hyatt Place North Phoenix. Or as others suggested, if you have points this is a good time to burn 'em.
thanks for your recommendations..this is what i'm looking for...cheaper hotels that might be in the expensive areas..but they are a good location to start off with..

as of now i have booked on points the sheraton phoenix airport hotel...and my weekend at the new embassy suites in scottsdale...still now that i'm a hilton diamond I might be willing to move some business there.....
Old Dec 11, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
bitachu probably the worst Sheraton I have ever stayed at.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 1:35 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Agreed on the Sheraton Tempe, it's old and outdated and in a poor location for touring.

The Phoenix Hyatt Regency is quite nice, though its location in Downtown Phoenix means you have to drive to a lot of the fun activities. Personally, I like staying in Scottsdale but that's going to run you a higher price tag. As others have said, you're coming during the Arizona high season.
Old Dec 14, 2015, 5:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CMK10
Agreed on the Sheraton Tempe, it's old and outdated and in a poor location for touring.

The Phoenix Hyatt Regency is quite nice, though its location in Downtown Phoenix means you have to drive to a lot of the fun activities. Personally, I like staying in Scottsdale but that's going to run you a higher price tag. As others have said, you're coming during the Arizona high season.
yeah okay..so i might re think my sheraton airpot hotel stay....i'm spg gold..but if the hotel sucks..then that wont help me much...I wouldn't mind using my 80k hhonors pts but i doubt it will get me far
Old Dec 14, 2015, 6:02 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
yeah okay..so i might re think my sheraton airpot hotel stay....i'm spg gold..but if the hotel sucks..then that wont help me much...I wouldn't mind using my 80k hhonors pts but i doubt it will get me far
Hilton does have a huge footprint in Phoenix and frankly, you're going to be driving a lot anyway. If you can find a Hampton Inn by a freeway with decent reviews that could work. I've done that before.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.