Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Opportunity to reolcate to Sioux Falls, South Dakota

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
Sioux Falls has natural food co-ops. And, most major supermarket stores now include organic options. Even Walmart has many organic options across their stores now.
in Atlanta, we find ourselves drawn to the suburbs and exurbs.

we do shop at whole foods, but we also buy from mom and pop organic farmers, and it looks like SF has a coop that is similar.

have bought things like bookshelves from ikea but its not critical.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:25 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
There's an IKEA right at MSP airport if you ever need to scratch the itch to spend a weekend using an Allen wrench. We used it often before they opened the one in Merriam, KS.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by LemonThrower
in Atlanta, we find ourselves drawn to the suburbs and exurbs.

we do shop at whole foods, but we also buy from mom and pop organic farmers, and it looks like SF has a coop that is similar.

have bought things like bookshelves from ikea but its not critical.
People take things so literally around here.

My point was that in Atlanta you might have 500+ varied shopping options and in Sioux Falls you might have a dozen.

If that causes you to shriek with hysteria, then SF might not be right for you.

If that causes you a minor shrug of the shoulders, then SF might work out well.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 5:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by DenverBrian
People take things so literally around here.
I didn't take it literally . Simply noted variety is in the eye of the beholder as you intended. Many ways to achieve the same goal . And I now live in the hometown of Whole Paycheck and I still don't shop there very often .
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Originally Posted by RustyC
The Internet has done much as far as the isolation factor goes, and Amazon and eBay get more than their share of orders from that part of the country. OTOH, things like concert tours might only get as close as MSP, if that (OMA only if lucky), and pro sports are similarly far.
Yes, the Internet has really revolutionized what it's like to live in rural areas. After graduation my youngest sister and her husband settled in a small town (pop. less than 15,000) in an economically depressed part of the country. A generation ago this would have been like moving to the end of the earth. There'd be very limited choices for shopping, entertainment, culture, and communication. But with modern technology she keeps in daily contact with all her college friends via Facebook, etc., streams TV programs online, and has designer clothes delivered to her door by Amazon, Zappos, etc. Yeah, there's not much access to lively arts. And sometimes she wants to go shopping where she can touch things and try them on before buying. Those require a trip to the region's "big city" (pop. 275,000) 2 hours away. But on the other hand, her husband's daily commute is a 5 block walk to his office downtown. For some people that's a fine tradeoff.
Old Aug 2, 2015, 11:56 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Do and don't look back.

I had the opportunity to be based in RAP for three years. See my contribution in this OMNI Thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/omni/1469630-what-cities-meet-these-criteria-crowdsource-my-next-home-3.html

Keep in mind, South Dakota is really two states; "East River" and "West River" separated by the Missouri. And they are at war with each other.

All of South Dakota is essentially a small town. It's just 400 miles long.

I never spent much time in the Sioux Empire, but it is a nice place if you can tolerate a city of 250k. My colleagues from West River were in awe that Sioux Falls had an exotic restaurant called Panera. Seriously.

So much different than ATL.

Best!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 2:12 pm

Programs: AA Gold, AF apologist
I grew up in Sioux Falls and did my undergrad at SDSU (home of the Jackrabbits). It is a great place to grow up and has changed a lot in the past 20 years (for the better in my opinion). Where it used to be VERY homogenized (almost all white Scandinavian Lutherans - uff da!) it has now diversified quite a bit. Now, you can get all kinds of food (though my parents are still not 100% sure about sushi...).

In terms of isolation, it is pretty easy to get in/out of FSD. Yes, most of the planes are CRJs, etc., but they are usually just a short hop to a bigger hub (MSP, ORD, DEN). But you can now fly to LAS. The drives are long. I now live in PHL and to tell anyone that 3 hours is "close" always gets a certain look. It is much dryer than ATL. Most of the trees are in straight lines (shelter belts planted in the 30s) along fields, and people always marvel at the number of trees there are out east. But it gives you great sunsets, sunrises. People are friendly, cost of living is low**, little traffic. You will have to learn to say "pop" and "I s'pose" :-)

If you are used to large cities and REALLY like them, it will probably take some adjustment. But Downtown now has outdoor cafés, there are farmers markets, small business on Main Street, but all the chains out at the Empire Mall. EROS is a source of pride there, so if you do work there, people will know what it is! I get back at least once a year and am amazed each time at what has changed (for the better). It is not the best place in the US, but (in my opinion) there is much worse. Just my 2 cents.

**HGTV recently did an episode of House Hunters in Sioux Falls. If you can find it, it would give you an (very brief) idea of what some house prices, etc. are like.
Old Sep 28, 2020, 8:40 pm

South Dakota is awesome. The kindest people. Very little crime.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.